Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Orbea Avant owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any Orbea Avant owners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 11:28 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Any Orbea Avant owners?

A semi local shop has some good sales on some of these and wondering if anyone has any inputs on how it would compare to other endurance road bikes, e.g. defy, roubaix, synapse, etc.

Also interested in sizing. Orbea site suggested a 53 for me, which was surprising. Other companies have typically recommended a 56 or 55. I will try to get a test ride soon but just thought I'd see if anyone had any input on the Avant in general.
Old 08-15-19, 07:18 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Yeah I think their geometry is a little different. I've got a 2010ish line. I assume it's an endurance geometry. Dont know much about the bike, much less its size. It fits though and after my bike fit is pretty dang comfortable. I cant bad mouth them. Great bikes in my book.
Old 08-17-19, 12:01 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have a 2017 Avant. The only thing I could compare it to is an alum. Fuji sportif.
I absolutely LOVE this bike though. Very comfortable to ride. I have yet to find anyone that does not like their Orbea. I should be on a size 56, but I was fit to the 54.

I purchased the M40, which was the lower end carbon frame. It originally came with the Tiagra groupset, but I have since upgraded it to the newest 105 groupset. I have also upgraded the wheels to something a little lighter.

I could certainly see myself getting another one when I am in need.
Old 08-17-19, 06:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts

I have a 2014 Avant MD 40 that I purchased new in 2016. It was close to 50% off msrp. It has a stiff ride which has been softened a bit with a change of tires. The CF frame is my first, I probably would not buy another one. I am NOT liking the FSA Gossamer crank set. I am thinking of replacing it with a Shimano GRX but not positive I want to sink the dollars into it. This is the bike I ride the least. I much prefer steel and titanium. It is a nice bike, I love the look, just not quite right for me.
Old 02-04-20, 07:26 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
I'm looking at the Orbea Avant M30, priced about $300 less than comparable bikes on my list, such as Trek Domane SL 5 or Specialized Roubaix Sport. I've also been looking at the Canyon Endurace, but I'm just not sure I want a "mail order" bike. I know they have a return option, but I like having a LBS to work with. But the Canyon sure does make it worth your while from a cost perspective -- about $900 less than a comparable Trek or Specialized.

Good to know there's a loyal Orbea rider base -- that's reassuring. But one thing I don't know -- how do the Orbeas compare weight-wise to other bikes such as the Trek or Roubaix. I like the Trek but it's on the heavy side (like me...).
Old 02-05-20, 12:12 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
I'm looking at the Orbea Avant M30, priced about $300 less than comparable bikes on my list, such as Trek Domane SL 5 or Specialized Roubaix Sport. I've also been looking at the Canyon Endurace, but I'm just not sure I want a "mail order" bike. I know they have a return option, but I like having a LBS to work with. But the Canyon sure does make it worth your while from a cost perspective -- about $900 less than a comparable Trek or Specialized.

Good to know there's a loyal Orbea rider base -- that's reassuring. But one thing I don't know -- how do the Orbeas compare weight-wise to other bikes such as the Trek or Roubaix. I like the Trek but it's on the heavy side (like me...).
It think they are pretty competitive weight wise. I am not 100% sure though. since I bought my M40, I have upgraded the groupset to the new r7000 and had a set of wheels built for it, and it comes in at 19lbs flat. I have never really been concerned of the weight, its such a great bike to ride.
Old 02-05-20, 03:25 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Never had an Avant, but did ride an Orca about 10 years ago or so. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. Super comfy and fast, fast. Just adored that bike, but it was tragically stolen because I stupidly used to not always bring it inside with me everywhere. Anyhow, I am a big Orbea fan now. I do also admit that I liked the fact that not everyone had one like some of those other brands I won't name.
Old 04-18-20, 07:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Random question.. was looking at Orbea's lineup and it appears they really don't do any stock upscale configurations. Avants and Terras seem to end at the M20 level (there used to be M10 level options too). M20 is mechanical Ultegra. IOW.. no Di2 or DA options, etc. Any idea why they dropped higher level options? Noticed Giant did the same as well with eg. the Defy, with Shimano they stop at mech Ultegra also (no Di2 or DA options) -- though Giant does offer some SRAM etap options.
Old 10-16-20, 02:00 AM
Kanon25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I got an Orbea Avant M30 and have to echo the comments. It's not the lightest but that doesn't feel like it matters. Just a really comfortable bike to ride and still quite fast if you want to do that.