Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grail bike: found

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Grail bike: found

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 06:11 PM
poke em

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a 1985 Grand Velo 1000 from a guy in the valley last spring. It was a mess but cleaned up beautifully. I really wish I could have kept that bike.

Nice score!
Old 12-29-11, 06:12 PM
mazdaspeed

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by poke em
I picked up a 1985 Grand Velo 1000 from a guy in the valley last spring. It was a mess but cleaned up beautifully. I really wish I could have kept that bike.

Nice score!
I'm not familiar with that model, any pics? If you ever need anything feel free to PM me by the way. Also hopefully we don't ride the same size bikes because maybe we could work together
Old 12-29-11, 06:14 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Very nice, and CONGRATS!

I found a PRISTINE RB-2 a few months back for $160 and flipped it the next day for $300. I would have kept it, but it was a 56 and thus too tall for me. If it was a 54 or 53, I would have kept it.
Old 12-29-11, 06:14 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I guarantee you if I'd seen you humping that home, I'd have mugged you for it,
thinking it was already stolen and you wouldn't call the cops.

If you did, and they asked, then my name was Grant Petersen.

BTW, is that an Alex A.C.E.19 wheelset?
haha I was imagining what I would do if I saw someone else walking down the road with an RB-1 over their shoulder and another vintage bike rolling along. Yes those are the wheels, know anything about them?
Old 12-29-11, 06:18 PM
poke em

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I'm not familiar with that model, any pics? If you ever need anything feel free to PM me by the way. Also hopefully we don't ride the same size bikes because maybe we could work together
The guy said he bought it in Okinawa while stationed there, so I assume it was a Japan only model. It does not appear in any catalog I was able to find online. It was all Shimano 600 non indexed, and about a 53-54 cm size (my size). I robbed the pantographed Grand-Velo NJS track stem from it before I sold it.
Old 12-29-11, 06:20 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
Very nice, and CONGRATS!

I found a PRISTINE RB-2 a few months back for $160 and flipped it the next day for $300. I would have kept it, but it was a 56 and thus too tall for me. If it was a 54 or 53, I would have kept it.
Sucks about the sizing, at least you made some money though
Old 12-29-11, 06:22 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by poke em
The guy said he bought it in Okinawa while stationed there, so I assume it was a Japan only model. It does not appear in any catalog I was able to find online. It was all Shimano 600 non indexed, and about a 53-54 cm size (my size). I robbed the pantographed Grand-Velo NJS track stem from it before I sold it.
That color scheme is amazing! There was another bridgestone on CL here fairly recently that looked a lot like that, but I want to say is was a 700 or something. It was a 57cm iirc and out of my price range
Old 12-29-11, 06:26 PM
that_guy_zach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thats how I got mine and the price it was offered at. Of course when I called it was " I got some bad news, your were the first to email me but..." Long story short I ended up paying more but got the bike for a decent price. It was my size so I couldn't let it go.

Never sell it!
Old 12-29-11, 06:28 PM
poke em

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
That color scheme is amazing! There was another bridgestone on CL here fairly recently that looked a lot like that, but I want to say is was a 700 or something. It was a 57cm iirc and out of my price range
I saw that bike. There are occasionally deals here on CL, but you are right. Months go by in between. I saw that 700 but the price was way too high and if I remember correctly, it was too big for me.

I picked up a very nice Gipiemme equipped Fiori (Norco) this summer, which is my main rider. I would love to find another Bridgestone to keep. I love the yellow color on your new bike. It should turn out very nice when you are done building it.
Old 12-29-11, 06:29 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome score! That yellow version is my favorite. Congrats.
Old 12-29-11, 06:41 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Sweet.
Old 12-29-11, 06:55 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
S-W-E-E-T-!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 12-29-11, 07:06 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good for you!
Looking forward to seeing the "after" pics

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12-29-11, 08:10 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Hope your dog's ok, and you gave him treat for gettin' you up early enough to score a bike.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54616231@N04/
Old 12-29-11, 08:20 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Very nice find. Well fitted out and ought to clean up nicely. My Prologue is fitted with slightly older Shimano 600. Nice stuff.
Old 12-29-11, 08:26 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scorescorescorescore!!!!! Allez vite!!!!
Old 12-29-11, 08:47 PM
skydog6653

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
you did very well considering this one in seattle area wants 1K for: https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/2769567086.html
Old 12-29-11, 08:52 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice score. I love those bikes. You should have tried to ride them both at the same time.
Old 12-29-11, 09:08 PM
bumpalong

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Poprad, 1983 Vitus, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1983 Fuji Del Rey, 1974 Fuji S-10, 1956 Triumph, 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1964 Phillips, 1982 Motobecane Supermirage, 1962 Raleigh Superb, 1958 Robin Hood, 1966(?) Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just dropped my 1991 RB-1 at the powder coater's a couple hours ago. Wish I had a picture. Weeks ago I was tempted to redo it in yellow to match your collor scheme (love that yellow), but Velocals didn't have the white paneled stickers, but did have my 1991 stickers scheme, so I decided to keep it its original red, only with a second coat of silver metalic sparkle. Original reproduction with a modern twist. Plus it seemed wrong to paint it another year's scheme. I'll be building it mine up with 9 speed 105 for now. Can't wait to get it back from the powdercoaters...

But I'm getting carried away with the moment here... What I meant to say is - NICE SCORE. Great bike!

Last edited by bumpalong; 12-29-11 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 10:08 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats a great price for a grail bike, i mean how many grail bikes can you pay 140 for?

i've paid some obscene amounts for my grails.

It sucks how the bike is a little scratched in some parts and some bad paint chips behind the crank.

I have never figured out the fact how anyone can neglect or treat something they own like dirt. you pay money for your stuff so you might as well keep it in good condition. All of my stuff is in great condition and most of it similar to the way i bought it. Plus it's better for resale value for whatever it may be.
Old 12-29-11, 10:37 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spokane!? Never saw it here, asleep at the wheel I guess. Nice grab!
Old 12-30-11, 12:34 AM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by skydog6653
you did very well considering this one in seattle area wants 1K for: https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/2769567086.html
lol wow... his has the STI shifters though. I wonder why mine has barcons...

Originally Posted by eippo1
Very nice score. I love those bikes. You should have tried to ride them both at the same time.
I would have ridden while holding onto the stem on the other bike but the tire situation on the RB-1 didn't allow such tomfoolery

Originally Posted by bumpalong
Just dropped my 1991 RB-1 at the powder coater's a couple hours ago. Wish I had a picture. Weeks ago I was tempted to redo it in yellow to match your collor scheme (love that yellow), but Velocals didn't have the white paneled stickers, but did have my 1991 stickers scheme, so I decided to keep it its original red, only with a second coat of silver metalic sparkle. Original reproduction with a modern twist. Plus it seemed wrong to paint it another year's scheme. I'll be building it mine up with 9 speed 105 for now. Can't wait to get it back from the powdercoaters...

But I'm getting carried away with the moment here... What I meant to say is - NICE SCORE. Great bike!
Sounds sweet, don't forget to make a thread about it when it's done

Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
thats a great price for a grail bike, i mean how many grail bikes can you pay 140 for?

i've paid some obscene amounts for my grails.

It sucks how the bike is a little scratched in some parts and some bad paint chips behind the crank.

I have never figured out the fact how anyone can neglect or treat something they own like dirt. you pay money for your stuff so you might as well keep it in good condition. All of my stuff is in great condition and most of it similar to the way i bought it. Plus it's better for resale value for whatever it may be.
It sounds like the guy I bought it from used it pretty hard. It does suck about the scratches but I have some 3M abrasive compound that should at least get all the random black crap off it and even out some of the scratches. I can't complain though, not just any RB-1 was the grail, just the yellow one (but I wouldn't have turned down another color ) Honestly never thought I'd get the chance to own one because they're rarely for sale and when they are I can't afford them.

Originally Posted by anixi
Spokane!? Never saw it here, asleep at the wheel I guess. Nice grab!
More competition? haha.
Old 12-30-11, 01:59 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice!
Old 12-30-11, 02:23 AM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, congrats!
Old 12-30-11, 06:57 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Mazda - that is beautiful. I love the color and the RB1s just have flare. WELL DONE AND CONGRATS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.