Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The CAAD 10 and I passed a milestone recently.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 06:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

I hadn't really paid attention to the total mileage for my CAAD 10, but when I checked over the Endomondo statistics this evening, I was at the total mileage section and I figured that I'd see what 2013 and 2014 mileage looked like. I am past 10,000 miles for those two years, I'd have to dig out my rider's diary to get the mileage for 2012, I didn't use Endomondo at that time and the computer is the second one I've used so its not the total mileage (first Cannondale IQ300 fritzed out shortly after I purchased it in 2012, so they replaced it, no questions asked.) It might well be above 11,000 in the actual bike mileage, but without documentation I'd never claim that number, no matter anywho.

Caught me by surprise since I hadn't even thought about the total mileage much. I had the yearly total for 2014 accessible from my diary so that was a known for me, just hadn't realized that I had passed 10,000 a few weeks back. Nice surprise and I am proud that I've managed things so that riding was possible. It has been the major factor in my recovery from the surgeries and the kidney disease and in managing my Parkinson's Disease, along with the support of my wife, Monica. The 50+ gang has kept me honest and on track, my thanks to everyone here.

I have enjoyed every mile I have ridden over the last several years, the CAAD 10 has been trouble-free, thankfully. No major malfunctions at all, the normal maintenance items are done and I keep an eye on everything daily. Only component to be replaced was the front derailleur, I stripped out the cable retainer screw's spot, so I went ahead and scored a new Rival FD for $30.00. I didn't want to tap out the hole and go larger with the screw, did this on a Campy NR back in the 70's and regretted it very quickly. Worn out the original Schwalbe Lugano 700x23 tires and one set of Gatorskins, 700x25, its time for the third set if 'Skins to go on now. I did replace the stock brake pads with Koolstop combination pads early on, on the second set of those, great brake pads for dry or wet conditions. Both shifter cables were replaced last spring with some stainless cables from my LBS. I'd recommend the CAAD 10 Rival to anyone wanting a reliable road bike that is fairly comfortable, yet compliant enough for my old bones. It is much faster than I am, no excuses.

End of long, boring report, my apologies for taking up your time.
Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-01-14, 06:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Chapeau. Seriously.
Old 12-02-14, 07:14 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
CONGRATS BILL!!!

And what a wonderful way to find out....by surprise.
Old 12-02-14, 08:14 AM
Fred Smedley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Chapeau. Seriously.
+1!!!!
Old 12-02-14, 11:20 AM
K100Fran 

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos, excellent achievement!
Old 12-02-14, 12:03 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I hadn't really paid attention to the total mileage for my CAAD 10, but when I checked over the Endomondo statistics this evening, I was at the total mileage section and I figured that I'd see what 2013 and 2014 mileage looked like. I am past 10,000 miles for those two years, I'd have to dig out my rider's diary to get the mileage for 2012, I didn't use Endomondo at that time and the computer is the second one I've used so its not the total mileage (first Cannondale IQ300 fritzed out shortly after I purchased it in 2012, so they replaced it, no questions asked.) It might well be above 11,000 in the actual bike mileage, but without documentation I'd never claim that number, no matter anywho.
Congrats Bill.

I'd recommend the CAAD 10 Rival to anyone wanting a reliable road bike that is fairly comfortable, yet compliant enough for my old bones. It is much faster than I am, no excuses.
No selling on here.
My CAAD 10 was great for the 4-1/2 months I had it. Too bad it got crushed.
My replacement SuperSix EVO is awesome.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-03-14, 10:55 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Some surprises are nicer than others, and exceeding expectations in terms of miles fits. Way to go, Bill.
Old 12-03-14, 09:18 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There are some amazing people here, and you, sir, are one of them! Salute!

Frank
Old 12-04-14, 06:12 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Thanks, Frank, but I consider many others in the 50+ membership to be much more accomplished cyclist, and people too, than I am. Riding is my means of feeling just a little bit normal, that is a rare thing some days. I attribute things to my Faith, Monica's support, the 50+ gang here, and the fact that the CAAD 10 is very reliable, and suits my riding perfectly.

All the kudos are much appreciated, I was kind of hoping the others here would tell us about their mileage for various bicycles they own/ride. I imagine some of our members have impressive totals, or have accomplished much more daunting things than I ever will. Some of the ultra ride people, and our daily commuters, must be very accomplished cyclist to do the riding they are managing to complete. But, some members have overcome some serious health and personal issues and continue, or have begun, to ride. These people inspire me to keep going.

Everyone have a great holiday season, ride lots and be safe.

Bill(Ol' Twitchy)

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-04-14 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 08:59 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Passing a milestone is much better than passing a kidneystone. . Congrats!
Old 12-04-14, 09:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Great rides! Me, I get 1500mi per season up here.
Old 12-04-14, 09:54 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Thanks, Frank, but I consider many others in the 50+ membership to be much more accomplished cyclist, and people too, than I am. Riding is my means of feeling just a little bit normal, that is a rare thing some days. I attribute things to my Faith, Monica's support, the 50+ gang here, and the fact that the CAAD 10 is very reliable, and suits my riding perfectly.

All the kudos are much appreciated, I was kind of hoping the others here would tell us about their mileage for various bicycles they own/ride. I imagine some of our members have impressive totals, or have accomplished much more daunting things than I ever will. Some of the ultra ride people, and our daily commuters, must be very accomplished cyclist to do the riding they are managing to complete. But, some members have overcome some serious health and personal issues and continue, or have begun, to ride. These people inspire me to keep going.

Everyone have a great holiday season, ride lots and be safe.

Bill(Ol' Twitchy)
Hi Bill,
First and foremost, congratulations on your accomplishment. My mileage, and bike, are different than yours, but I am quite pleased nonetheless.
I have a 2012 Trek 7.4FX "performance hybrid." I've now had it for about 27 months, and it too has performed flawlessly. I have ridden it for close to 6000 miles in that time.
I have replaced the rear tire 2 or 3 months ago, with another month or 2 of life left in the front tire. Thus far the brakes are functioning well, albeit with some adjustments along the way. I too am careful with maintenance, particularly the drive train, which itself has been just terrific.
I also do quite a bit of training/working out with light weights -I call my routine, and my family doctor loves the name, my "old man workouts."

Anyway, keep up the good work Bill, and best wishes for a happy and healthy Holiday season.

Best regards
Old 12-04-14, 10:41 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Nice, Bill! Congrats!

End of long, boring report, my apologies for taking up your time.
Bill
Hey, I didn't know you were Canadian.

Old 12-05-14, 06:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Flan, thanks for those compliments, yours are great! I looked at the FX 7.4 forerunner back a few years but passed in favor of a used R500T Cannondale. Monica does enjoy her 7300 Trek hybrid, she wishes she had opted for the performance type, though. She was used to lightweight road bikes, from our past riding, but she chose the suspension fork model for some reason. Its heavy and she had to swap out the sprung seat right off the bat, for a good road saddle (Selle Italia ladies model she loves.)

I am with you on the mechanical's maintenance being done meticulously, and on schedule. That has been a lifelong habit my dad instilled in me. My tires are Continental Gatorskins, folding, 700X25, finishing out the second set now. Good wear and only one flat to date with these great skins. My CAAD 10 is basically stock, I changed out the tape for a Specialized cork, added a K-Edge chain guide to the FD hanger and replaced the stock chain at ~ 8,000 miles, last spring with a SRAM 1090. I tried a Cannondale C1 bar and 100mm stem but switched back to the C3 models. The stock set up just works well for me.

Vic, Ehh, you hoser, I'm strictly a Florida guy. You are one of the mega mile eaters that inspires me to keep up my riding. And besides, you too are Nuts, NVTS, nuts, Swiftus!

Bill(Ol' Twitchy)

Old 12-05-14, 09:52 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I take back what I said a few months ago about dibs on your Caad 10 with that many mikes on it.

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Can I have first dibs on the Caad10? I need it to add to my collection of Caad 8's and 9's.Just kidding ... I figure that you'll be riding it a few more miles yet.
I don't think that I've ever replaced a set of brake pads on any bike I've owned. That tells you how many miles I've ridden. Or haven't ridden.

Congrats Bill!
Old 12-05-14, 01:52 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Well done! Congrats to you and the bike.
Even more impressive than my 11,000+ posts.
Old 12-05-14, 02:39 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Very impressive Bill. I'm sure you could rack up big numbers on any old bike, but having a nice rig like that adds a level of pleasure I'm sure.