Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Inspire me please...foot too butt style

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 11:14 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts

I need some inspiration...I have diabetes...quit smoking cigarettes Memorial Day last year...drug my '04 Giant OCR3 out of the shed and completely refurbished it...then also bought an old Trek rigid frame mountain bike (in pristine refurbished condition for $120 just because) and finally?...a very slightly used Specialized Cross-trail...all the gear...shorts, bibs and clipless shoes and pedals...took about a dozen 10 mile rides on each and just sort of fell by the wayside...several months ago...lost my inspiration...so please.....magic words anyone?...inspire me.

T.I.A. Bill.
Old 04-02-15, 11:58 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Magic words? OK, here are the magic words.

As a sick diabetic, you are worth lots of money to the medical community, the drug manufacturers, various social service agencies and other assorted people. They really like you. You are living for them and their incomes. They care more for you than you care for you.

If you were to start riding, get as healthy as you can, become focused on you it would cost them money. On the other hand living for yourself would make life more enjoyable, give you more ability to travel or do whatever you want and probably a longer more meaningful life.

So, no one cares more about you than you. If you don't care neither will anyone else except the people making a living off you.

Live for them or live for you, your choice.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 04-03-15 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 12:44 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Magic words? OK, here are the magic words.

As a sick diabetic, you are worth lots of money to the medical community, the drug manufacturers, various social service agencies and other assorted people. They really like you. You are living for them and their incomes. They care more for you than you care for you.

If you were to start riding, get as healthy as you can, become focused on you it would cost them money. On the other hand living for yourself would make life more enjoyable, give you more ability to travel or do whatever you want and probably a longer more meaningful life.

So, no one cares more about you than you. If you don't care neither will anyone else except the people making a living off you.

Live for them or live for you, your choice.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-03-15, 01:37 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Couldn't have said it better.
+1
Old 04-03-15, 05:08 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I agree with the replies above and have no words of inspiration I'm afraid, just questions.

Did you really enjoy the cycling you did, or just the idea of cycling and the anticipation of what it could do for you?

I remember when you joined the forum and were so enthusiastic. It would have been difficult to maintain that early momentum so I hope you do get your motivation to cycle back, but even if cycling is not for you it's no big deal as, despite what many people on the forum would have you believe, it is not the only or necessarily the best form of exercise for everyone.

Be sure however to find some other form of exercise/activity that will be more sustainable for you and that will help your health. The best exercise regime is the one you stick with long term.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 04-03-15 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 06:24 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have two choices:

a) Take care of yourself and get out on your bikes and ride, or

b) Sit in front of your computer all day, get sicker, die young, and leave your bikes to someone who will actually ride them.

In your thread title you asked for a boot in the ass, here it is: Nobody can do it for you. You have to make the decision whether you want to live or not. If you need constant encouragement and hand holding by other people to make the choices that will improve and possibly lengthen your life, it isn't going to happen. It's nice to have supportive people around you but the motivation has to come from within, even if the whole world seems to be against you. It doesn't matter if I or other people on the internet think you can do it or not, what matters is if it is important enough to you to get off your ass and ride. You may now substitute the saddle of your choice for my boot.

Last edited by GravelMN; 04-03-15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-03-15, 06:25 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Jinks, I thought you died, or fell off the wagon.............. however - you just better get your butt back on that (those) bikes.

You already know the problem, and already know the answer - enuf said.

Go buy yourself a Selle AnAtomica, and try it on all your bikes....... you will be amazed, and maybe start riding more.

Up to you, Bud!
Old 04-03-15, 06:27 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

p.s.. If you can find a friend to ride with, on a regular basis --- it helps motivate, and is more pleasant.
Old 04-03-15, 07:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Simply put cycling will improve your condition. I have type II diabetes, and am taking 3 different pills to control it. Unfortunately I live in the snow belt, and hate riding when it is below 60. I simply do not like to bundle up to ride. However in the summer months when I ride most every other day, my A1c goes down from 6.9 to 6.1. Part of the decrease can be accounted for in the fact I lose approx 15 to 20 pounds of winter fat.

I would encourage you to ride for the fact that it will help the diabetes but most of all your general health. Cycling is pretty much a path to the fountain of youth. In my case I am a very lucky man when it comes to health. Im 76 and have never been in the hospital. But with cycling my diabetes is under control, and I am easily able to ride approx 30 miles ever other day. I just flat feel better in the summer months when I can bike.
Old 04-03-15, 07:27 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Do you watch TV reality shows? If so, turn off the damned TV and become your own reality show for real.
Old 04-03-15, 07:49 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
It's not inspiration you lack, but rather, motivation.

Motivation can only come from within. If you're looking to others for motivation, you've already lost the battle.
Old 04-03-15, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
oh you need a good ole a*s-kicking don't ya? well get the heck out there and quit whining to us. RIDE YOUR BIKE and send us some pics! now get going you old fart!
Old 04-03-15, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
It's not inspiration you lack, but rather, motivation.Motivation can only come from within. If you're looking to others for motivation, you've already lost the battle.
incredibly and perfectly true. motivation is VERY personal
Old 04-03-15, 08:36 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
incredibly and perfectly true. motivation is VERY personal
Desire to live is the key. You will be what you WORK to be. Wishing it true will not help. If laziness overrides your desire to live there is no saving you. I know people that constantly whine about how bad they feel and why they can't do anything about it. If excuses burned calories they would be track stars. The battle is 100% with laziness not medications, sore back, bad weather, no time ect ect ...... As a famous ugly green idol once said "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY"
Old 04-03-15, 08:36 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
FWIW, I am much more motivated to ride with friends than I am by myself. If you're a social animal too, join a bike club or somehow get yourself some riding partners you enjoy.

I love cycling, but when you come right down to it, like everything else, it's the company you keep.

Old 04-03-15, 09:53 AM
MikeD1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 60 and I feel better than I've felt at pretty much any point in my life . . . tons of quality exercise and healthy eating. Heck, who cares if you live longer, how about better? Way better? If you want to feel GREAT, get a move on . . . Feel free to start relatively easy and build up. If you can just keep it going for 2-4 weeks you'll start to feel better and start to want to do it. Put it this way, it is better than any and all drugs you can take: legal or not legal
Old 04-03-15, 10:11 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Ride or die, mf'r!!!!
Old 04-03-15, 10:25 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
wow...16 responses?....So First?...THANK YOU EVERYONE!....and everyone one of you were spot-on and nailed me to the wall...great job and Thank You!

I even received a PM addressing this directly...Lack of motivation?...yep...."Ride in Health or Die in Disease?"...yep...(that last ones mine now after reading through all the magic words contained within LOL)....and here's what's going on...my shamelessly copied and pasted response to the person who PM'ed me....

"I re-entered this activity specifically for the reasons you point out above...and bought a bunch of stuff to keep me enthused to go forth and do what I wasn't all that passionate about doing...and when the newness wore off?...so did the passion...but I have to eremeber that despite all that?...I can't think of a single ride I regretted taking or didn't fully enjoy and feel good about myself afterwards...I need to Re-Engage the Mission here...matter fact?...I think I'll copy and past this original reply of mine to you in that thread...after I tahnk everyone...and then swing by the bike shop...buy something new and exciting...and go for a ride...thanks again!"
Old 04-03-15, 10:30 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I would think you should identify the conditions under which you prefer to ride, then promote those conditions. There is a decent bike path here with fine scenery which I can easily get to from home. My preferred locations are a nearby areas of quiet, rural county roads bordered by wild flowers, pasture lands and farms and barns. Rhode Island, being the Ocean State, there is water everywhere as beaches, salt marshes and much bird life. I also enjoy riding with the bike club several times a month. I'm continually astonishes by how strong some people are, even some who are in their 70's. Your preferences may be totally different but find them.

I've been off the bike almost all of the latter part of winter due to much snow and ice on roadways. As roads have cleared up, I've begun riding again but I'm woefully out of condition. It will be a slow and deliberate effort to get back and the key will be to not try to do it all in a day or a week. And the process itself of getting back into decent physical condition will have to be enjoyable with satisfying progress being the measure of success.
Old 04-03-15, 10:58 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Proud of you, Bro........ don't give up!
Old 04-03-15, 11:09 AM
justblues

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ain't gonna put my foot to your butt because you'd just use the sore butt as an excuse not to ride.
Old 04-03-15, 11:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Look up bike commuter and bike touring videos on Youtube.
Old 04-03-15, 12:58 PM
swampboy62
hermit

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience people tend not to stick to exercise that they do not enjoy. For me bike riding works because I LOVE to ride a bike - it always makes me feel better.

So if you don't LOVE to ride a bike, it is absolutely necessary for you to find something that you enjoy in order to get your exercise.

I have a family full of diabetics - and none of them exercise. They tend to die off young, and their quality of life in their 'golden years' is terrible. You have the power to make changes, once you're ready to commit. Make a choice and then LIVE FOR THAT CHOICE.

Good luck.

Steve Z
Old 04-03-15, 05:28 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Why do you own so many bikes and then don't ride 'em?
Just decorating your garage, I suppose. Stay out of the bike shop and use what you've got and NO more excuses either!
Am not diabetic, but am only 82 years old and ride 100+ miles week.
So get off your but and pedal!!!
Old 04-03-15, 07:34 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
MARINE, get off your ass, and get on your bike. Ride it daily and stop looking for sympathy. Got it, BOOT, now move

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.