Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Been gone awhile Update:

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Been gone awhile Update:

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 06:13 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Been gone awhile Update:

Bad news: I've been steadily losing energy...drifted away from riding and then drifted away from this board and all the great friends I quickly made here and?...had a stroke about a month ago...which blew chunks...went in the E.R. with BP @ 238/122...MRI led to a CAT scan, Chest Xrays and ultrasound of my heart...3 days and 2 nights on bed arrest as a "Fall Risk"...lost fine motor skills in my right side...scary.

Good news: I just bought my oldest daughter a new Giant/LIV Sedona bike for her 24ht Birthday and she's thrilled.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Candicesedona2.jpg (98.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 09-21-15, 07:27 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wow - that sounds really scary.

My best to you and your continuing recovery. I hope you are going to continue bicycling in one form or another. There are a lot of options for you if you haven't already found them. Hopefully, you can continue with your current bikes and riding.

Good luck
Old 09-21-15, 08:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Be as active as you can - hope that can include cycling, if that's what you want to do...
Old 09-21-15, 08:58 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Gave my Trek too the son-inlaw so he can ride with her but still have my Giant OCR3 and my Specialized Crosstrail Disc...I ain't ready for going low and clipless on the OCR but I am looking forward to swinging a leg over the Crosstrail again and thanks for the well wishes!...Prayers are accepted as well! LOL! L8R, Bill.
Old 09-21-15, 09:38 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Jinkster, I have prayed for your recovery to good health.

Please practice what my Irish for-bearers taught me.

"Pray for food and plant potatoes"

Keep praying, then also follow doctor's orders, take your medications, and that is planting potatoes for you right now.
Old 09-22-15, 05:07 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Wow! Sorry you had to go thru all that but glad you're back. If you can't ride the OCR there could be a trike in your future -- as long as your cardiologist gives the thumbs up. Prayers for your recovery.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-22-15, 05:13 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Strength and healing of the Lord be unto you.
Old 09-22-15, 06:29 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stay strong, the advice above is all solid stuff. You'll be in my prayers for your recovery.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-22-15, 08:30 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'll light a candle and include you in my prayers for the sick.
Old 09-22-15, 09:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Holy crap ... that is scary! How are you doing now? I hope for your rapid recovery.

Old 09-22-15, 02:16 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Bad news: I've been steadily losing energy...drifted away from riding and then drifted away from this board and all the great friends I quickly made here and?...had a stroke about a month ago...which blew chunks...went in the E.R. with BP @ 238/122...MRI led to a CAT scan, Chest Xrays and ultrasound of my heart...3 days and 2 nights on bed arrest as a "Fall Risk"...lost fine motor skills in my right side...scary.

Good news: I just bought my oldest daughter a new Giant/LIV Sedona bike for her 24ht Birthday and she's thrilled.

very pretty and the bike ain't bad either. Get well Jinkster.
Old 09-22-15, 08:02 PM
Jinkster

Thanks everyone!...wow...appreciate the prayers and well wishes...I worked 11 1/2 hours today cause if I had of gone home after 10 hours?...I'd of never got back out to Bible Study tonight...just got home around 9:30pm...going to try an mount the crosstrail tomorrow and see how my sense of balance on two wheels is doing...and if my right leg is of any consequence on the pedal or if it's the left leg just making in go round and round! LOL...then make a decision if doning the clipless footwear is a good idea or not...glad I got the dual-pedals now...flats on one side clipless on the other...finally paid off?...but took a stroke to do it? LOL

Thanks again folks...we'll see what tomorrow brings. L8R, Bill.
Old 09-22-15, 09:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Thanks everyone!...wow...appreciate the prayers and well wishes...I worked 11 1/2 hours today Thanks again folks...we'll see what tomorrow brings. L8R, Bill.
Tomorrow should bring work days of less than 11 1/2 hours - esp after a stroke only a month ago. I don't want to be harsh, and I have no idea about your situations or your Dr's recommendations, but take it easier on yourself man.
Old 09-26-15, 09:51 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Tomorrow should bring work days of less than 11 1/2 hours - esp after a stroke only a month ago. I don't want to be harsh, and I have no idea about your situations or your Dr's recommendations, but take it easier on yourself man.
Thanks but?...laying around doesn't cut it either...I figure the more I do the more I'll be able to do...the docs already wrote me off as a hostile patient...I didn't sign up for the assisted living program or home nursing or outpatient therapy or disability, welfare or medicare/medicaid...like it seemed they wanted me to...when they admitted me my head no sooner hit the pillow of the room I was given when the room phone rang...the nurse answered and said it's for you Mr. Jinks...my parents were as surprised as I was and we were all like..."Wow!...That was fast...wonder who it could be?"...as the voice on the other side started interviewing me and asking if I live alone and would I like assisted living services..home nursing...blah, blah, blah...and every 2-4 hours people were coming in my room introducing themselves as any number of therapists with a prefix...it disgusted me...they make it so easy for people to just throw in the towel and give up...I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there.

I still have some balance and coordination/timing issues but I'm getting on that bike tomorrow morning...I was to tired all week from work...pulled 57hours this week and 7 of them was today...this morning..Saturday...and I thanked God I could make it there!
Old 09-27-15, 06:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As you recover you might want to consider getting a trike. Loads of fun, and no balance problems.
Old 09-27-15, 07:41 AM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone 3 years out from quadruple bypass surgery, I think it might make sense to focus some on the underlying causes of your stroke. I had one episode of atrial fibrillation after surgery which led to a "transient ischemic attack" or mini-stroke. Fortunately, the AF was caused by an infection from a tick bite and I've had no recurrence. So, do you know what caused your stroke?
Old 09-27-15, 08:04 AM
Tusky

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you aren't giving in. I had a stroke two years ago and still ride road and single track trails. I guess I'm not ready to go yet and the doctor says I'm in better shape than most of his patients.

I like to play this Randy Newman song from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHI2v6i_No
Old 09-27-15, 09:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Thanks but?...laying around doesn't cut it either...
I wasn't advocating laying around, just easing those work weeks and enjoying your hobbies or whatever you consider relaxation.

...I figure the more I do the more I'll be able to do....
There is another BF member with a signature line I like - "Don't believe everything you think"
Old 09-27-15, 10:29 AM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Tusky
Glad you aren't giving in. I had a stroke two years ago and still ride road and single track trails. I guess I'm not ready to go yet and the doctor says I'm in better shape than most of his patients.

I like to play this Randy Newman song from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLHI2v6i_No
Thanks!!! and while I appreciate it?...apparently we don't share the same taste in motivational sound tracks...I figure if this one doesn't get my blood pumping I am dead! LOL!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I wasn't advocating laying around, just easing those work weeks and enjoying your hobbies or whatever you consider relaxation.

...I figure the more I do the more I'll be able to do....
There is another BF member with a signature line I like - "Don't believe everything you think"
Understood...but it's not "what I think"....it's "how I feel"...the less I do?...the stiffer I get and the more I hurt...where the more I do?...the more capable I become and the better I feel afterwards...for me?...it's embracing the pain and the strain and pushing just a little harder each time to get that reward at the end.
Old 09-27-15, 12:42 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Prayed for you in "church" Jinx!

Don't give up, no matter what, and keep doing what you can! What doesn't kill you, just makes you stronger.....

Now, give up some of those work hours, and make them bike hours...............

You have beaten tougher stuff - so get to work!

Phil
Old 09-27-15, 01:39 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Prayed for you in "church" Jinx!

Don't give up, no matter what, and keep doing what you can! What doesn't kill you, just makes you stronger.....

Now, give up some of those work hours, and make them bike hours...............

You have beaten tougher stuff - so get to work!

Phil
Thanks Phil!!! How you doing bud?...I hope and Pray life is treating you great man...qcpmsame, Biker395 and yourself were instrumental in my efforts to return to cycling and good health here...diabetic neuropathy in my legs got me down and long hours of OT got the best of me and ultimately?...the bikes got parked...it's really coming down to a "Ride or Die" situation here...and that's enlightening to say the least! LOL!

Thanks again for the prayers Phil!...Same back atcha Bud!
Old 09-28-15, 07:14 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Jinx,
There is a big difference in staying busy, being active, and in working long hours with the stress work can give you. I don't think that the folks calling you while you were in hospital was disgusting, they are given a list of patients that were admitted from strokes or other issues, that usually require some form of assistance for the patient when they get home. A lot of it is geared towards getting out of hospital and back home, without putting the person at risk. I had to have some home care on a few occasions a while back after being discharged, it can be more than a family member can handle to keep you going. I was thankful for the services, and grateful that I was out of hospital and in my home to recover.

A stroke, and going back to heavy hours at work immediately, is asking for another, probably more severe stroke or cerebral hemorrhage. If you made it without issue, good for you, and avoid any situations regarding luck, you have used up the next few years of yours. And, the folks here that asked you to use care and caution just are concerned about you. Please be careful with your activities, and take care. Best of luck on your recovery, diabetes and heart problems/strokes don't mix well at all.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-28-15, 04:55 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Jinx,
There is a big difference in staying busy, being active, and in working long hours with the stress work can give you. I don't think that the folks calling you while you were in hospital was disgusting, they are given a list of patients that were admitted from strokes or other issues, that usually require some form of assistance for the patient when they get home. A lot of it is geared towards getting out of hospital and back home, without putting the person at risk. I had to have some home care on a few occasions a while back after being discharged, it can be more than a family member can handle to keep you going. I was thankful for the services, and grateful that I was out of hospital and in my home to recover.

A stroke, and going back to heavy hours at work immediately, is asking for another, probably more severe stroke or cerebral hemorrhage. If you made it without issue, good for you, and avoid any situations regarding luck, you have used up the next few years of yours. And, the folks here that asked you to use care and caution just are concerned about you. Please be careful with your activities, and take care. Best of luck on your recovery, diabetes and heart problems/strokes don't mix well at all.

Bill
And while I appreciate all of that Bill?...and your probably correct in all instances?...the part that stands out to me most?...is your tagline.
Old 10-12-15, 08:38 AM
Tusky

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is your recovery going?

Got a call from a friend a week ago after he had a stroke. He is recovering but is scared. It comes as a bit of a reality check. I know I lok at and live my life differently now.

Hang in there!
Old 10-19-15, 07:26 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Jinx,

Bill

HI. I just came across this thread. I will keep you in my daily prayers. I am so fortunate to have found this site. Who would have thought there would be this forum for geezers? A great place filled with fine folks!

Bill is right; that much work after a stroke can be a killer next time. Have you tried a turbo trainer? When I bought my first bike two years ago I got a Kurt Kinetic. Turns out that recently I've developed asthma and allergies like gangbusters. I've ridden outside 6 times this year. The trainer has enabled me to maintain my fitness. It would seem that one of these would enable you to regain your strength in the weak side and boost your aerobic fitness at the same time.

Anyway, never give up. Look forward to reading that you're back on the road.

Rich