Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Italian road bike mirror

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Italian road bike mirror

Old 10-28-17, 01:47 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I may order one of these: https://en.ciclimattio.com/s/selle-i...id=1490&m=2430

Too bad they don't make these for drop bars: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5IJDY2SV&psc=1
Old 10-29-17, 07:03 AM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
I promised updates and here's the first one.

The brute is installed.
The instructions say that it's designed for traditional bars where the end of the bars is horizontal. They also say that if the end of your bars aren't horizontal, you should rotate them so the ends are. That's nice for the manufacturer, but I adjust my bars to suit me, not the manufacturer of an aftermarket component.

My bars are modern bars (the Vibe S7) and I like the top of the drops horizontal - considering I never hold the very end of the bars, I don't care where they point. In my case, the end of the bars is angled downwards and this mirror isn't happy being forced to fit them. This is a design flaw.

Fortunately, the long ends of the mirror mounts are split in four and are very flexible. By using only the top ones, I was able to pull it into right position... but they needed to be very tightly taped down. From there, I was able to pull the bottom tabs into position (both wind up partially wrapping around the bars) and to tape them into position. The instructions glibly talk about being able to make small changes once installed - that is nonsense in cases like mine, if I wan't to adjust them, I have to undo the tape, have another try and see if it worked.

As you'd expect, getting the position right is a prize sod of a job, especially if this is the first time you've used one and are learning on the fly. Someone suggested dragging their stationary trainer out into the street and upon reflection, this is really good advice. Also, set the mirror slightly high because once you wrap the bar tape, it's going to pull down a little. This happened to me and I'm not going to be able to fix it without unwrapping 4" or so of bar tape... but seeing I wrap from the bottom, this isn't going to happen in the short term.

I've only ridden it up and down the street checking the positioning... and the new bars and neck I also fitted. Actually, there's a thought, maybe a minuscule tilt of the bars will help the vertical position without upsetting the riding position. Anyways, at the moment, it's probably set a little low but you can't really test these things without a real ride.

Initial impressions are that it is indeed very small and the slight concave shape doesn't really address that. However, at low speeds, the image was dead clear. To see behind you, you also see your leg (and I've got wide bars). Like all initial impressions though, my thoughts may change with regular use.

I'll let you know how it works next weekend after a week's commuting.

And a photo of things as they are now.
why the heck is the mirror mounted on the right oh i see mate
Old 10-29-17, 08:01 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used one for a while. As mentioned, it's a real pain to get it installed just right. Mine always wanted to point too low. I'd duct tape the hell out of it and that worked OK temporarily. After enough time riding in the drops the duct tape would start loosening.

I always thought the view was great when positioned correctly. The problem was getting and keeping that position. There are some adjustable mirrors like this, but none quite as small or elegant. It's a real shame. I think one could be made that was barely larger.

I've tried eyeglass mirrors and find them way too distracting.