Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 01-28-18, 04:37 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
Close up of Dan’s bars. They had a bit of a mare this weekend though. BTW, the armrests are a onepiece.
Similar to the Aus pursuit bars and team Sky TT bars.
But yes the mantis is definitely back
Old 01-28-18, 10:01 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
How much?

He's in San Jose, Ca. Has it listed for 900 Euros (roughly $1100). 165mm head tube too. He's got it listed on a facebook page. Apparently it's called Shamu. Not sure if it's "legal" to post the link to the ad here, so I'll leave the info at that.
Old 01-28-18, 10:10 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
He's in San Jose, Ca. Has it listed for 900 Euros (roughly $1100). 165mm head tube too. He's got it listed on a facebook page. Apparently it's called Shamu. Not sure if it's "legal" to post the link to the ad here, so I'll leave the info at that.
I can vouch for the seller, former teammate of mine. Great guy, bike will have been perfectly cared for.
Old 01-28-18, 10:13 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
it's an obscure way of making sure you don't try to run the Egg position I believe.

It's annoying because this position tested pretty slippery for me.
Interesting, that's not too far off from the "Superman" position. I guess it depends on your height/proportions, but I wouldn't think most people could hit that position without running afoul of the 80cm extension rule (I know I couldn't, at least not without having my saddle way far back).
Old 01-29-18, 05:22 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
yeah, I ride about 9cm setback (and still use the full 80cm) to get enough room to stretch out, even in my normal position. Takes a good long time to get used to. (especially since I used to do triathlon and rode super far forward in front of the bb... of course I could have a mile long cockpit too... )
Old 01-29-18, 08:36 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I can vouch for the seller, former teammate of mine. Great guy, bike will have been perfectly cared for.
Daryl, or someone who bought it from Daryl?
Old 01-29-18, 10:12 AM
jsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Close up of Dan’s bars. They had a bit of a mare this weekend though. BTW, the armrests are a onepiece.
Wow, those pads are crazy steep, don't think I'd want to ride like that, from a safety/handling standpoint.

I wonder if UCI will issue a new rule/clarification to address this if it starts becoming more popular. Even if it technically fits within the limits of the current rules, it seems to violate the spirit of the rule specifying a max of 10cm extension rise.
Old 01-29-18, 10:32 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Wow, those pads are crazy steep, don't think I'd want to ride like that, from a safety/handling standpoint.

I wonder if UCI will issue a new rule/clarification to address this if it starts becoming more popular. Even if it technically fits within the limits of the current rules, it seems to violate the spirit of the rule specifying a max of 10cm extension rise.
If you discuss "the spirit of the rule" with the UCI, they will mandate this:

Don't push them, hahaha
Old 01-29-18, 10:52 AM
jsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm all for technical innovation and think that the relaxation of the rules a few years back is definitely a positive thing. (Not only the changes to the hour-record rules, but also the more recent changes for TT position such as level forearms, saddle tilt, etc). I'm not suggesting suggesting we go back to the strict rules; but it would seem that the purpose of the 10cm rise rule is to prevent the mantis position, and they're basically using a loophole to get around that. It will be interesting to see if UCI feels they need to plug that loophole or just let it go.
Old 01-29-18, 12:07 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Jenning Huizenga (NED) in 2008:

At the 2008 Olympics in Beijing:

Are these guys resting their arms on their "bull horns" rather than their aerobar pads?
Old 01-29-18, 12:35 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Apparently he had a slightly more conventional setup that the UCI declared was illegal the day before due to the handlebar tilt. So, he mounted elbow pads to the basebars, raised the handlebars, got the setup into approval, and then used it for an unconventional position.
Old 01-29-18, 01:15 PM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There were a few issues at the nationals at the weekend when some of the bikes were checked but I think this was mostly to do with how some of the commissaires were interpreting the regs and how they were setting the jigs. Apparently it got clarified when someone from the BC coaching staff got involved and subsequently there were no problems thereafter. It just shows how complicated it can get when the reg limits are interpreted in different ways.

On the flip side, when you push the limits you can have problems, as evidenced by Team KGF's issues in some of their races at the nationals.
Old 01-29-18, 03:32 PM
jsk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the flip side, when you push the limits you can have problems, as evidenced by Team KGF's issues in some of their races at the nationals.
So what actually happened and what limits were they pushing that caused it? All I saw in the news reports was a "wheel problem".
Old 01-29-18, 04:27 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by queerpunk
Daryl, or someone who bought it from Daryl?
Yep.
Old 01-29-18, 04:32 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Yep.
i like that guy.

well, the first one. don't know the second one.
Old 01-29-18, 05:58 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

It was posted by Daryl. And I don't know that guy, just thought the bike was really cool. Anyone know if he got the front triangle done to a bike that needed the repair, or did he buy a larger (but too small) BT and have the bike chopped up when new?
Old 01-29-18, 06:36 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by taras0000
It was posted by Daryl. And I don't know that guy, just thought the bike was really cool. Anyone know if he got the front triangle done to a bike that needed the repair, or did he buy a larger (but too small) BT and have the bike chopped up when new?
I'll ask him.

Here's Daryl's response:
"The guy who built it is 6’5. Not sure if it was a frame that needed a front end repair. But Rob Mulder (the builder) is one of the top carbon fiber guys in Canada. Mostly windsurfers but also did the aero bars for Canada’s women team pursuit in 2012.

"I’m guessing it was a used bt stealth frame (those things are pretty bombproof) that he custom made to fit a giant person."

Last edited by Baby Puke; 01-29-18 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 07:10 PM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsk
So what actually happened and what limits were they pushing that caused it? All I saw in the news reports was a "wheel problem".

The TP issue seems to have been the wheel slipped slightly causing a magnet to hit the chainstay.
Old 01-29-18, 09:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
Are these guys resting their arms on their "bull horns" rather than their aerobar pads?
Yup.
Old 01-29-18, 09:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

There were a few issues at the nationals at the weekend when some of the bikes were checked but I think this was mostly to do with how some of the commissaires were interpreting the regs and how they were setting the jigs. Apparently it got clarified when someone from the BC coaching staff got involved and subsequently there were no problems thereafter. It just shows how complicated it can get when the reg limits are interpreted in different ways.
This is why I suggest talking to the head commissar when you are in doubt about using some gear. His/her decision would trump all others.

Usually, lower level officials man bike check and the head official is doing other things. If lower level official approves something but an appeal goes to high level official and he/she deems it unfit, that's the verdict.
Old 01-29-18, 11:11 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

I'll ask him.

Here's Daryl's response:
"The guy who built it is 6’5. Not sure if it was a frame that needed a front end repair. But Rob Mulder (the builder) is one of the top carbon fiber guys in Canada. Mostly windsurfers but also did the aero bars for Canada’s women team pursuit in 2012.

"I’m guessing it was a used bt stealth frame (those things are pretty bombproof) that he custom made to fit a giant person."
Thanks for the info! I'm familiar with Rob's work, as there are a few cyclists that raced/race at a national level and have had custom aerobars crafted by him. His work is definitely top notch. He also does a lot of composite work for larger sailboats, and the stresses on those parts are insane.

I'm guessing the original frame may even have been a used Cyclone (1st generation). They came available on the Australian used market regularly and relatively inexpensively when the Stealth came out, and more so with the release of the Edge and Blade. Despite having a super short headtube, it wouldn't matter if one picked one up to modify like this. The original Cyclone had a taller seat mast compared to the Stealth (they did shorten the seat mast in later Cyclones), so for a bike this big, that's what may have been the case.

The Stealth was a lighter younger brother of the Cyclone. BT did this by shortening the seat mast, changing the carbon and lay-up, as well as redesigning their molds. This allowed them to use a taller headtube (the Cyclone's headtube was only 90mm), and the refined molds allowed a nude carbon finish. The original Cyclone with the tall seat mast required a filler coat before paint, hence were never available in nude carbon.

The Original Cyclone with long seat mast. A 55cm TT bike wouold have a 60cm seat mast, and a 57 (the largest size) would have a 62cm seat mast.

The 2nd Gen Cyclone with shortened mast (this is a 57cm TT bike)

A 55cm TT stealth (BT's are measured by TT length).

If your friend is interested in knowing if it's a Stealth or a Cyclone (I'm pretty sure it's a Cyclone), he can look at the BB shell insert. If it is a circular insert, it's a Cyclone. If it's hexagonal, it's a Stealth.
Old 01-30-18, 03:37 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zizou
The TP issue seems to have been the wheel slipped slightly causing a magnet to hit the chainstay.
Yes, he'd been having a few problems with his wheel and then it slipped at the worst time in the final. He was man 2 and bailed out around 4 laps in and half a lap later Jonny pulled off the front as he'd done his 4 lap stint only to find Charlie at the top of the track with him. Jonny almost killed himself trying to get back on to Dan and Tipper but it was too late. In the photo you've got Dan and Tipper on the black and Jonny and Charlie at the top. Their strategy with going down to 3 early doesn't give them many options if something goes wrong.

In Dan's kilo he fell at the start when he stripped teeth off the new sprocket he was trying. Got a bit banged up but got up, re-started and did a long 1:01 which was actually a pb.
Attached Images
Old 01-30-18, 02:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Wow.

What sprocket was Dan using that failed?
Old 01-30-18, 05:49 PM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, the top 6 at British Nats were all 1:01. Deep pool this year.
Old 01-30-18, 08:02 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Wow.

What sprocket was Dan using that failed?
My guess is an aluminum one. I had one many winters ago, and after a while, I polished it clean, and could see stress fractures across the base of the teeth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.