Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1975 Fuji Special Road Racer (S10-S)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 02:54 PM
owen robinson
Fuji Enthusiast

Bikes: '86 Fuji Club '80 Fuji Sport 12 '75 Fuji S10-S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Back in early November I bought this bike for $100 from a used bikes shop. It was in OK condition so I quickly went on to https://www.classicfuji.com/S10-S_1975_Page.htm.
I read a little about it then looked at the bike for any noticeable flaws or issues with it then bought it. I cleaned it up as best I could and rode it for a few days before it got to cold.
I noticed that all the bike's hubs were in extremely good condition. This was my first attempt at cleaning up a vintage road bike and I think I did a good job.
I will defiantly clean it up even more in the spring when the weather is nicer. I will post more pictures when that happens.

The only thing I've done to it was put some new bar tape on because the previous owner put a speckled white and red.
In the future i would like to get a frame pump for it and definitely some new tires.
(It has the same tires listed in the catalog which means that these tires are from 1975! Or the owner wanted to get the exact same tires that it came with.)

By no means is this considered a restoration or rebuild for me and I'm not done with it yet so I will be sure to post more pictures on it around spring time.
Hope you enjoy. 😊

r
r
Likes For owen robinson:
Old 01-10-19, 03:57 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
You did good for a $100. That is an excellent bike and that saddle is way coo You need some new rubber though! Those tires look tired,

Panaracer is the usual go to tire in 27 x 1 and 1/4 if you want skinwalls. IVe been really happy with the Michelin protek tires I've been using on my mid 70s Sekine SHS 272. They have a reflective stripe which I really like and they're fat. They measure 27 by 1 and 3/8 on my bike.

Your bike is beautiful. Nice job.

By the way, you may want to move the saddle back a bit but the way it is now may fit you well. Also new brakes shoes are a big plus. Kool stop continentals are very good.

Last edited by bikemig; 01-10-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 04:30 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My very well used '75 S-10S, bought new in Oct '76.

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 01-10-19, 04:34 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by owen robinson
Back in early November I bought this bike for $100 from a used bikes shop. It was in OK condition so I quickly went on to https://www.classicfuji.com/S10-S_1975_Page.htm.
I read a little about it then looked at the bike for any noticeable flaws or issues with it then bought it. I cleaned it up as best I could and rode it for a few days before it got to cold.
I noticed that all the bike's hubs were in extremely good condition. This was my first attempt at cleaning up a vintage road bike and I think I did a good job.
I will defiantly clean it up even more in the spring when the weather is nicer. I will post more pictures when that happens.

The only thing I've done to it was put some new bar tape on because the previous owner put a speckled white and red.
In the future i would like to get a frame pump for it and definitely some new tires.
(It has the same tires listed in the catalog which means that these tires are from 1975! Or the owner wanted to get the exact same tires that it came with.)

By no means is this considered a restoration or rebuild for me and I'm not done with it yet so I will be sure to post more pictures on it around spring time.
Hope you enjoy.

Classy Fuji! I love that style of head badge, sometimes they paint it on which doesn't cut it. I also really like the Nitto stem bolt.
Nice work on not changing it. It looks like you got the 23" - would be a good size for me! If a little tall (want to sell it? ).
The Jim Blackburn rack is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that style.
The tires look great for 1975. Any pix with the other bar tape? I'm curious.
Old 01-10-19, 06:44 PM
owen robinson
Fuji Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
Classy Fuji! I love that style of head badge, sometimes they paint it on which doesn't cut it. I also really like the Nitto stem bolt.
Nice work on not changing it. It looks like you got the 23" - would be a good size for me! If a little tall (want to sell it? ).
The Jim Blackburn rack is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that style.
The tires look great for 1975. Any pix with the other bar tape? I'm curious.
This is what the bar tape looked like before.
I think it was on there for a few years, that's why I replaced it. (and because I thought it looked bad) 😊

Old 01-11-19, 07:08 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
That's in really nice condition. I think Fuji put together a really nice package at a good price for its time.

You might consider re-packing all of the bearings with grease and replacing the cables and housings as well, at least for the brakes for the purpose of safety. I'd probably insist on white housings, though.

I wouldn't ride any further from home than you're willing to walk with those old tires.

Cane Creek also makes some hoods that fit those levers, and they come at least in brown and black.
Old 01-11-19, 12:15 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Nicely done and great buy~

Clean survivor, great shift group that's super reliable. When up to speed, those 27s roll along with flywheel affect feeling.

Around 1979-80 I had an S12-S Ltd. Black with chrome. Fuji labeled components by Suntour. Sealed hub bearings. Lots of great miles and memories.

Interesting enough, I know of an early original Fuji Special, 1 owner within a mile from me. A pretty cool nostalgia piece. A friend was planning to buy it but I think he's having too much fun finding other classics and may pass on it.
Old 01-11-19, 12:50 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Wow

Incredible good deal for you! Keep it C & V, my opinion
Old 01-11-19, 05:22 PM
Cougrrcj

FWIW, mine originally came with white cable housings as well. According to the serial number, mine was Sept '74 built.
The original three-pin 51/39 Maxy crankset got replaced since the chainrings tended to bend/deflect under heavy load.
I don't think I had my bike even a month before ditching the downtube shifters for the SunTour barcons it still wears today.
Not sure if mine ever had brake hoods either, or if it did, I removed them to (temporarily) install safety levers since my previous bike ( all-steel '74 Fuji Special Tourer) had them and I was used to using them... I've never used hoods on this bike...
I hated the original pump with it's screw-on hose. I lost so much air when trying to remove the hose from the valvestem that I got the Zefal HP with a quick-release chuck.
Looking at the receipt, I remember that the original tires were cracked/dry-rotted, so I swapped them out at the shop for a pair of 27x1-1/8 Schwinn Super Record tires...

Over the past 42 years, that bike has gone through at least three replacement wheelsets, two rear derailleurs, numerous sets of brake pads, and probably a couple-dozen sets of tires! BUT, it still has the original Fujita Belt saddle, too! (Oh, and the Nitto handlebar stem bolt is still there, too )
Old 01-11-19, 07:28 PM
owen robinson
Fuji Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
FWIW, mine originally came with white cable housings as well. According to the serial number, mine was Sept '74 built.
The original three-pin 51/39 Maxy crankset got replaced since the chainrings tended to bend/deflect under heavy load.
I don't think I had my bike even a month before ditching the downtube shifters for the SunTour barcons it still wears today.
Not sure if mine ever had brake hoods either, or if it did, I removed them to (temporarily) install safety levers since my previous bike ( all-steel '74 Fuji Special Tourer) had them and I was used to using them... I've never used hoods on this bike...
I hated the original pump with it's screw-on hose. I lost so much air when trying to remove the hose from the valvestem that I got the Zefal HP with a quick-release chuck.
Looking at the receipt, I remember that the original tires were cracked/dry-rotted, so I swapped them out at the shop for a pair of 27x1-1/8 Schwinn Super Record tires...

Over the past 42 years, that bike has gone through at least three replacement wheelsets, two rear derailleurs, numerous sets of brake pads, and probably a couple-dozen sets of tires! BUT, it still has the original Fujita Belt saddle, too! (Oh, and the Nitto handlebar stem bolt is still there, too )
They day I bought the bike I made a quick little post about it just asking for the year and maybe a month.
T-Mar told me it was built in September of 1974 from the serial number I provided, K9I01767. 🤔
Do you know what factory your's was built at? (or mine because i don't know where mine was built.)
Old 01-11-19, 07:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Nice looking Fuji! Love the red.

Over the years I've had a number of vintage Fujis including a Team, a Palisade, a Sports 12, a Sagres, and a Grand Tourer.

All were nice bikes. Good paint, well built, and good riders.
Old 01-12-19, 11:02 AM
Cougrrcj

They day I bought the bike I made a quick little post about it just asking for the year and maybe a month.
T-Mar told me it was built in September of 1974 from the serial number I provided, K9I01767. ��
Do you know what factory your's was built at? (or mine because i don't know where mine was built.)
My serial is K9I00300, so a bit earlier in the month of September '74 than yours. Mine is the same 'K' leading character that is thought to be the manufacturing plant. Fuji used several, so... Kamakura perhaps?

BTW, yours is the only example of a RED S10S that I've ever seen. Lots of white and yellow, fewer green and only a couple blue like mine.

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 01-12-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-12-19, 04:07 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I wonder if the Special Road Racer writing on the down tube of these wears away easily? I don't see any remnants of it on your bike any longer. On my 75 S10-S restoration I had to paint in some portions that were missing. I guess others simply abrasive waxed the writing away.

Old 01-12-19, 06:14 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nice bike. Seat post clamp is backwards, I'd switch it around.
Old 01-12-19, 09:23 PM
owen robinson
Fuji Enthusiast

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Buska
I wonder if the Special Road Racer writing on the down tube of these wears away easily? I don't see any remnants of it on your bike any longer. On my 75 S10-S restoration I had to paint in some portions that were missing. I guess others simply abrasive waxed the writing away.
Mine seems to be in good condition.
The other side has a small area that's gone but other than that it's fine.
(sorry for the picture it didn't focus to well)

Old 01-13-19, 02:13 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
T-Mar told me it was built in September of 1974 from the serial number I provided, K9I01767. ��
My serial is K9I00300, so a bit earlier in the month of September '74 than yours. Mine is the same 'K' leading character that is thought to be the manufacturing plant. Fuji used several, so... Kamakura perhaps?

BTW, yours is the only example of a RED S10S that I've ever seen. Lots of white and yellow, fewer green and only a couple blue like mine.
Just adding my rust bucket green S10S serial # because I find it surprising that they were all produced so close together and ended up connected to BF members after almost 45 years. Mine has had a hard life by the time it came to me, but will hopefully soon see the road again. Excellent buy Owen R and it's also the 1st red I've seen. Cougrrcj's blue one he's had since new and with so many miles is one of the cool stories on BF.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 01-13-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 02:48 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by specialmonkey
I also really like the Nitto stem bolt.
(Oh, and the Nitto handlebar stem bolt is still there, too )
+1 on the red Nitto stem bolt

I'm pretty sure the original brake hoods were white as well to match the cables, and a leather-ish type material that didn't age well....especially when left outside for what looks like years in this case

Old 01-13-19, 09:08 AM
Cougrrcj

I'll have to get some more detailed pics of mine one of these days... Too bad that it'll show all of the battle-scars. That silver paint under that candy blue really shows any scratches/scrapes. Of course, that long scratch on the right side of the toptube is why it sat on the shop floor for so long and I ultimate got mine for $20 off.
Old 01-13-19, 07:50 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Mine seems to be in good condition.
The other side has a small area that's gone but other than that it's fine.
(sorry for the picture it didn't focus to well)

Oh yes it is in nice shape. Didn't even notice it in your pictures. It doesn't help that I'm Red/Green color deficient Enjoy the S10-S. I don't ride mine much as I have several higher end vintage riders that usually get my attention during the riding season. However, the S10 does get hung in the family room as a display item and I still try and get it on the road a few times per year.

Have fun with it and treat it well.
Old 01-24-19, 12:34 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Owen, great Fuji, great model and a wonderful ride. I put tubulars on mine at one point, that sweetened up the ride even more!

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 01-24-19, 10:57 PM
yuoil 

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing. You Fuji looks very nice and clean for its age and should be a great ride. Fuji has always impressed me with high ride quality throughout their model line. I’d recommend new tires if yours seem dry or deteriorated. Also, if the saddle is dry or hard Proofide works well and you don’t need much. The bar tape was an upgrade
Old 10-06-20, 09:34 AM
JulianS10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I have an S10 and looking into replacing the crankset (and maybe the BB as well) but having a hard time figuring out which could be the right fit, would you mind sharing which crankset did you choose to replace the original three-pin one? Thanks!
Old 10-06-20, 03:19 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by JulianS10
Hi, I have an S10 and looking into replacing the crankset (and maybe the BB as well) but having a hard time figuring out which could be the right fit, would you mind sharing which crankset did you choose to replace the original three-pin one? Thanks!
Mine is running a Sakae SX 48-38-28 triple crankset, on the original BB/spindle. IIRC, I was forced to use the original spindle because of the length - 114mm? Whatever it is, I remember that it was a few mm longer than most standard replacement spindles... My memory isn't 100% on the particulars because it was done almost 30 years ago...

Edit -- BTW, the stock Compe-V front derailleur handles the triple crankset just fine! I had to drop it down a bit (move it lower on the seat tube) to match the smaller diameter of the 48t 'big ring'... probably less than 1/8"...

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 10-06-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 04:11 PM
JulianS10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is running a Sakae SX 48-38-28 triple crankset, on the original BB/spindle. IIRC, I was forced to use the original spindle because of the length - 114mm? Whatever it is, I remember that it was a few mm longer than most standard replacement spindles... My memory isn't 100% on the particulars because it was done almost 30 years ago...
Thanks for this info… I forgot to mention I'm planning on turning mine into a single speed to make it lighter, but I'll look into the Sakae, maybe I can ride it with only one chainring. Yeah it's looking like changing the BB might be an issue, perhaps best to stick to the original.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-06-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 04:43 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by JulianS10
Thanks for this info… I forgot to mention I'm planning on turning mine into a single speed to make it lighter, but I'll look into the Sakae, maybe I can ride it with only one chainring. Yeah it's looking like changing the BB might be an issue, perhaps best to stick to the original.
Even stock the '75 S-10S was relatively light for it's day at 26.5 pounds - pretty damn light for a bike riding clincher rims! Schwinn was forced to source their 'Schwinn-approved' Japan-sourced 'lightweights' to compete. The '77 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2 and later 11.8 was a reference to their weight in Kgms (26.9 and 26.0 pounds respectively).

The S-10S can be made lighter pretty easy - ditch the stock heavy Akai wheels for a lighter set (mine now rides on Sun M13IIs and sealed bearing hubs) PLUS the original wheels use unhooked rims so you are forced to use heavier wire bead tires. Between the wheels and Kevlar-bead 27x1-1/8 tires you save well over a pound. Ditch the steel seatpost - save another half pound. Of course you can lose the relatively heavy Fujita leather saddle for a plastic ass-hatchet to save a few more ounces, but I like to ride - and not be punished!

As-ridden and shown in the pic above of my blue S-10S, it STILL weighs ~26.5 pounds - WITH the rear rack and triple crank... add the full water bottle (1.5 pounds) and tool kit/spare tube and (another 1.5 pounds.) Frame pump - another .5... So close to 30 pounds as ridden. Why do I keep the rack? Comes in handy to carry my change of work clothes (pants/shirt).

As another couple of weight data points - my triple-butted CrMo '86 Miyata 710 weighs in at 23.6 pounds., and the '84 Viva Sport I got down to 24.1 pounds (same 27" M13II wheelset as the Fuji)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.