Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

73 Fuji Special Road Racer. Where to start?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 04:44 PM
gnashedteeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm new here (so unfortunately no pics), and moderately newish to bikes in general. I rode a single-speed for a couple years, and it was nice; but a move to a hilly area has prompted me to invest in some gears.

Enter into my life my new investment: A 1973 Fuji Special Road Racer (Blue!!)

I already know the wheels are changing. The bike is on the heavy side, so those steel guys gotta go. I plan on sticking with the 27" size as my local place has a set for under $70. I'm not crazy about the levers attached to the breaks (suicide breaks, I think), I honestly thought they where shifters when I picked it up. Water bottle cage is coming off, and I'd like to find a suitable pump replacement for the existing pegs. Any advice there?

The seat has to change too, but I'm not sure where to look for answers there. It no longer has the original saddle, and instead has some gross Trek thing with springs. I looked at a couple Brooks saddles today at my local shop; but I'm not positive that's for me... Do I need to be worried about that 46 year old crank?

Once the weather breaks, I have a plan for dealing with the rust (I hope) but I'm not sure what to do about all the paint scratches. I'm an artist by trade, so is mixing up some enamel paint and doing some touch-ups a viable solution?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'm excited to bring some life back into a bike older than I am. If only spring would come to the midwest...
Old 03-06-19, 04:53 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Welcome to BF! A few members have or have worked on those so you are in good company. If you have bike mechanic basics you might want to disassemble the bike and start with a good cleaning. Quite often a frame will look much better then your original assessment.
Old 03-06-19, 05:03 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds like a great way to break into the vintage steel road bike arena. I have nicer Japanese road bikes in my collection, but the 75 S10 I own also gets used each season. I have a photo album here so you can see what I've done. You will eventually find a saddle that suits you. I show an old Fujita saddle on my S10 rebuild pictures, but that saddle only lasted about 5 miles. I replaced it will my personal favorite from Selle Anatomica. Also, wise move on going to a 27" aluminum rim. Fuji did the same right after the 1973 year on the S10's. There are still some really nice tires available in 27" too.

Don't fret the safety brake levers. Properly adjusted they are actually pretty nice. I still have one or two bikes that use them.

Welcome to the world of vintage road bikes. Your 73 S10 is a great entry model, better than most, to get you started on the journey. It's also a great way to learn how the repack crank and wheel bearing on. Plenty of wonderful YouTube videos to assist you in those things. It's best to learn on a bike like yours, then when you move to something better down the road you'll be well versed in doing your own maintenance and upkeep.

Have Fun,
Don
Old 03-06-19, 05:42 PM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Welcome to BF! A few members have or have worked on those so you are in good company. If you have bike mechanic basics you might want to disassemble the bike and start with a good cleaning. Quite often a frame will look much better then your original assessment.
Good idea. Learning to break-down and re-assemble my new toy properly is probably the best starting point. There is a community bike garage not far from my apartment, so I'll probably do most work there. Something like that sounds like an all day project?

Originally Posted by Don Buska
Don't fret the safety brake levers. Properly adjusted they are actually pretty nice. I still have one or two bikes that use them.

Welcome to the world of vintage road bikes. Your 73 S10 is a great entry model, better than most, to get you started on the journey. It's also a great way to learn how the repack crank and wheel bearing on. Plenty of wonderful YouTube videos to assist you in those things. It's best to learn on a bike like yours, then when you move to something better down the road you'll be well versed in doing your own maintenance and upkeep.

Have Fun,
Don
That yellow is awesome! I'm kinda sad mine isn't an obnoxious, bright color, but the blue does have a lovely depth to it. What should I know about those safety brake levers? They seem GREAT for stopping, but they don't release the pressure from the break pads. Maybe break the housing down and hit it with some WD-40?
Old 03-06-19, 05:48 PM
3speedslow

Sounds like the cables have corroded. Give yourself new cables for better performance and stopping ability. If you have never taken a bike down, it might take awhile, not all day. As with all things, experience leads to speed.
Old 03-06-19, 06:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
lot of help online also

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Old 03-06-19, 07:46 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I only came to see the pictures. Alas,...
Old 03-07-19, 06:38 AM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the cables have corroded. Give yourself new cables for better performance and stopping ability. If you have never taken a bike down, it might take awhile, not all day. As with all things, experience leads to speed.
New cables is something I hadn't considered yet. The cable housing is intact from end to end, but it's probably still worth doing.

Originally Posted by squirtdad
lot of help online also
That's a wealth of information, thank you!

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I only came to see the pictures. Alas,...
I'm getting my post count up! Once I hit 10 I'll upload the dirty bike pics; and then I can do some sexy, cleaned up ones.
Old 03-07-19, 09:03 AM
3speedslow

Quite often the cables will corrode just where the housing ends and the brake/ levers are. Sometime you can clean them and they are fine. If the housing is intact you might try that. If cable is exposed to weather longer, rust is a good sign to replace.

Housing can can be cleaned with the Lysol or citrus wipes.

looking forward to a blue bike show.
Old 03-07-19, 11:05 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
^^^^^^ In addition, if those are original cables, the technology of brake/shift cables has improved... some.... since then.

Is the community bike garage just a space with tools? Or is it more people/service oriented? A lot of thse places have days/times you can come in and get assistance, and ultimately training, on repair procedures.
Old 03-07-19, 12:13 PM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quite often the cables will corrode just where the housing ends and the brake/ levers are. Sometime you can clean them and they are fine. If the housing is intact you might try that. If cable is exposed to weather longer, rust is a good sign to replace.

Housing can can be cleaned with the Lysol or citrus wipes.

looking forward to a blue bike show.
It has what I suspect are the origional white cable housings. As for oxidized cables, the small portion of the front that is exposed looks great. The rear, however, has some visible oxidation. As well as the metal bits that the cables exit. New housing and cables is probably a smart investment. Eventually I'm probably interested in shifter solutions as well. Without having ever used them, shifters being on the bottom tube like that seems awkward.

Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^ In addition, if those are original cables, the technology of brake/shift cables has improved... some.... since then.

Is the community bike garage just a space with tools? Or is it more people/service oriented? A lot of thse places have days/times you can come in and get assistance, and ultimately training, on repair procedures.
It's just a bike oriented space with repair and service tools. Fortunately for me, my city has a STRONG biking community, so I'm sure once the weather warms up I won't have much problem finding advice from people smarter than myself. I took the Fuji into one of my local shops before bringing it home, and the guy was nice enough to go over it and made me pretty comfortable in what I had gotten myself into. He just didn't offer any solutions that didn't involve a purchase from them. lol
Old 03-07-19, 12:33 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
The Fuji Gods are happy with your purchase. The SpecialRoad Racer is a nice frame .. it will last forever if maintained properly. I kept my '73 all original for my book but if I had to do it all over and put wider handle bars, a more elegant stem, tubular rims (yes tubular), a non steel seat post, a cool drillium Sugino crankset and most likely put some Cyclone front and rear derailleurs. The original Primus pumps aren't easy to find .. brake levers and calipers would be Gran Compe maybe?

From the book "Japanese Steel" and the 1973 Fuji catalog.

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 03-07-19, 12:48 PM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
The Fuji Gods are happy with your purchase. The SpecialRoad Racer is a nice frame .. it will last forever if maintained properly. I kept my '73 all original for my book but if I had to do it all over and put wider handle bars, a more elegant stem, tubular rims (yes tubular), a non steel seat post, a cool drillium Sugino crankset and most likely put some Cyclone front and rear derailleurs. The original Primus pumps aren't easy to find .. brake levers and calipers would be Gran Compe maybe?

From the book "Japanese Steel" and the 1973 Fuji catalog.
*I can't quote your images because I'm a newb*
Those levers that swoop in towards the bike, kinda under the bars! Those are the awkward break extensions (?) that I'd like to get rid of. I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't fond of not stopping.

Over time, I'd like to get as much steel off this thing as possible. I'd like it to be much lighter. I do really appreciate the vintage look, so I'll be trying to stay true to that form. The crank, breaks, seat post, and wheels are probably good places for me to cut some weight.

5 more posts and I can unveil the pics!
Old 03-07-19, 01:06 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Wheels and those ankle weight pedals.
Old 03-07-19, 03:29 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by gnashedteeth
*I can't quote your images because I'm a newb*
Those levers that swoop in towards the bike, kinda under the bars! Those are the awkward break extensions (?) that I'd like to get rid of. I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't fond of not stopping.

Over time, I'd like to get as much steel off this thing as possible. I'd like it to be much lighter. I do really appreciate the vintage look, so I'll be trying to stay true to that form. The crank, breaks, seat post, and wheels are probably good places for me to cut some weight.

5 more posts and I can unveil the pics!

Those levers are nicknamed "suicide levers", "turkey wings" .... If properly adjusted they will work pretty well. But they do add an a level of "newb" look too. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 03-07-19, 03:40 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
My first change would be to put aluminum rims on that bike. This would improve braking performance, dramatically so in wet conditions.

My second change would be to put a micro-adjustable seat post (rider comfort is very important).

The "turkey wings" have to go ASAP, too. You'll need to replace the levers or at least the modify/replace pivot barrel in the levers. When you remove the levers, you will find the barrel protrudes by an awkward-looking 1/2".

All the rubber likely needs to be changed, as will the chain and all cables.

Does it have stamped or forged drop outs?
Old 03-07-19, 04:59 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Hurry up with your 10 posts!
Old 03-07-19, 06:40 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
FWIW, here's my Sept '74-built '75 model year S-10S, bought new in Oct '76, as it is today...

Wheelset (by '75, the originals were alloy) have been replaced three times in the years and 50k miles since!. Crankset, seatpost and rear derailleurs replaced as well. Still wears its original brakes (new pads of course) and Fujita Belt saddle! I upgraded to SunTour barcons within a month of when I bought it new in Oct '76!
Old 03-07-19, 07:37 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
FWIW, here's my Sept '74-built '75 model year S-10S, bought new in Oct '76, as it is today...

Wheelset (by '75, the originals were alloy) have been replaced three times in the years and 50k miles since!. Crankset, seatpost and rear derailleurs replaced as well. Still wears its original brakes (new pads of course) and Fujita Belt saddle! I upgraded to SunTour barcons within a month of when I bought it new in Oct '76!
Beautiful! That was the bike I bought in 1975, also blue. I even had a Pletscher rack and tire savers on mine too! Your photo sure brings back a lot of memories.
The saddle it came with just about killed me though. It was trying to break me in, not the other way around. Of course I rode in gym shorts back in those days.
So what happened to the original frame pump?
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-07-19, 08:34 PM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag

Does it have stamped or forged drop outs?
Wheels, breaking hardware, pedals and seat post are all now on the chopping block!

How can I tell if the drop outs are stamped or forged?
Old 03-07-19, 08:35 PM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Hurry up with your 10 posts!
I'm working on it. Apparently there is a 5 post in 24 hours limit that's also working against me!
Old 03-08-19, 07:25 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Originally Posted by gnashedteeth
Wheels, breaking hardware, pedals and seat post are all now on the chopping block!

How can I tell if the drop outs are stamped or forged?
The dropouts are stamped on the '73. The higher end Fuji's had forged versions and were marked either YFC or Yuko Cold Forged

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Old 03-08-19, 08:38 AM
gnashedteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder
The dropouts are stamped on the '73. The higher end Fuji's had forged versions and were marked either YFC or Yuko Cold Forged

Scott
I'm assuming forged means they're stronger than stamped?
Old 03-08-19, 06:58 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
The saddle it came with just about killed me though. It was trying to break me in, not the other way around. Of course I rode in gym shorts back in those days.
Just like a Brooks - you and the saddle have to come to an symbiotic agreement. I have to do it again every year - or after a prolonged 'off-season'.
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
So what happened to the original frame pump?
I ditched that sucker right away because I'd lose so much pressure trying to unscrew the pump's hose from the valvestem. The Zefal Hp (or one of its replacements*) has been on there since early 1977 as well. *One was caught by a pants cuff and ejected sideways only to be run over by my rear wheel -- and at least two were lost/bent/rendered useless when bashing doggie noggins as they were trying to chomp down on my lower leg...
Old 03-08-19, 08:38 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
OK, I just tried to upload pics and it didn't work. I powder coated and single speeded the one I got.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.