Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Goat Head Thorns?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Goat Head Thorns?

Old 04-16-19, 05:36 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Has anyone tried tire-savers on their tires? If not, why not? They wouldn't stop all goathead flats but done right, should get most of the goatheads that didn't penetrate fully the first time.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...s/tire-wipers/

Not advocating for Rene Herse, just found this website and its nice picture. (And $18? For a little wire, plastic tube and ancient technology.) We were using the exact same tire-savers 50 years ago, just no color and no stainless steel. Also minus that cute little loop around the throat. They worked very well. So did ones I made from scratch. (I used them on the east coast so I have no goathead experience with them, hence my question.)

You can make your own with 14 or 15 gauge spokes and that tubing sized to be a tight fit. I'd rather have 15 gauge but the tubing and a nice fit would decide it for me.
(I regularly rebuilt mine with the spoke wire after the tire area wore out.)

They are not perfect. They make noise, are a small amount of friction and spray dust and debris over your bike. It is normal to run them from the brake bolts; easy before the short bolts and recessed nuts. Sheldon nuts and a little re-working of the bolt loop with needle nosed pliers solves that nicely. You can also spare the seat tube and BB area clean(er) with the rear one mounted on the fender bolt hole on the chainstay support if you are lucky enough to have one. Aim the one at the front brake forward. Most of the dust you will see will be blow back, not a direct hit. On fendered bike, I used to mount them inside the fender. Not as easy but that did cure a lot of the mess. Other plus - they wiped your fendered rear tire - hard to do savely with your fingers

Ben
Wow, I've never seen anything like that! Thanks for the info.
Old 04-16-19, 09:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Gee, what a nice guy.....with friends like that : )
Did I mention dinosaur tracks?

Pugatory 6 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

96090018 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Apatosaurus tracks showing herd behavior.

89150010 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Allosaurus track

DSCN0033 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

More Apatosaurus tracks

89150011 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Allosaurus track showing stalking behavior.

There's even sex! Those are tail drags. Dinosaurs didn't drag their tails except for one reason.

IMG_0491 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I do warn people before we go but they don't grasp how many goat heads there are out there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-16-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
So what's worse, goat heads or star thistle?
Goat heads by 14 country miles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-16-19, 09:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Has anyone tried tire-savers on their tires? If not, why not? They wouldn't stop all goathead flats but done right, should get most of the goatheads that didn't penetrate fully the first time.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...s/tire-wipers/

Not advocating for Rene Herse, just found this website and its nice picture. (And $18? For a little wire, plastic tube and ancient technology.) We were using the exact same tire-savers 50 years ago, just no color and no stainless steel. Also minus that cute little loop around the throat. They worked very well. So did ones I made from scratch. (I used them on the east coast so I have no goathead experience with them, hence my question.)

You can make your own with 14 or 15 gauge spokes and that tubing sized to be a tight fit. I'd rather have 15 gauge but the tubing and a nice fit would decide it for me.
(I regularly rebuilt mine with the spoke wire after the tire area wore out.)

They are not perfect. They make noise, are a small amount of friction and spray dust and debris over your bike. It is normal to run them from the brake bolts; easy before the short bolts and recessed nuts. Sheldon nuts and a little re-working of the bolt loop with needle nosed pliers solves that nicely. You can also spare the seat tube and BB area clean(er) with the rear one mounted on the fender bolt hole on the chainstay support if you are lucky enough to have one. Aim the one at the front brake forward. Most of the dust you will see will be blow back, not a direct hit. On fendered bike, I used to mount them inside the fender. Not as easy but that did cure a lot of the mess. Other plus - they wiped your fendered rear tire - hard to do savely with your fingers

Ben
Those are made by a BF member, I might add.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-16-19, 09:16 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
cyccommute - Awesome pics!

Darth Lefty - Yeah I've got 3 young kids (and all their friends) constantly tracking thorns into the house in their shoe bottoms. We try to catch 'em at the door, but that doesn't always happen. I've had more stuck in my feet than I ever imagined possible.
Old 04-16-19, 09:28 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
OK true, seeing dinosaur tracks would justify the risk of goat heads but I do hate the damn things and glad we don't have to deal with them here.
Btw, goat heads are present on the ever popular Katy trail so take a good look at Stewart's photos so you know what to avoid.
Old 04-16-19, 10:03 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on tubeless and I advocate for Orange Seal. It coagulates better than Stans IMO but at the expense of longevity. Add a little every 90 days and it's fantastic.

But be warned - if you get a big flat because of cut (I went through six Maxxis Rambler tires in less than a thousand miles) the spare innertube needs to have sealant too. All those goatheads the sealant has been covering for will perforate the tube in about a minute.
Old 04-16-19, 01:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I knew it, this really is a scary topic. I thought it was just me, for awhile there. 🙄😉