Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my 2005 Madone 5.9 Project One

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 06:41 PM
beckerfuffle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks!
I recently started biking again after an almost 10-year break. I bought a sweet used 2005 Madone 5.9 Project One with a cool custom paint job off of eBay back in 2010.

After sitting in a spare room for so long, the shifters had seized up so I bought a used pair off of eBay (Shimano Dura-Ace ST7800). I took it into the LBS for a tune-up and to install the new shifters where they discovered the spoke nipples were seized up while trying to true the rear wheel. On top of this, the rear derailleur is missing a pin which makes it possible I'll rip it off the frame when I shift into the big cog in front (according to the LBS). Add to this that the teeth on the rear derailleur are all chewed up, making shifting pretty hit or miss. At this point, I don't think it makes sense to keep buying used parts off eBay since that costs at least as much as buying new, and pretty much nothing new is compatible with the old stuff on this bike. Also, from what I hear after so much time (15 years) even new low-end gear is probably better than my old gear was new?

I love the frame so I'm planning on keeping it and replacing the groupset and the wheels.

For the groupset, I think I'd like to go for electronic shifters and I'm trying to decide between the Ultegra Di2 R8050 and the RED eTap. The eTap looks enticing because it's wireless which is good since my bike has external routing. The Ultegra seems cheaper and more configurable but weighs a bit more?

The current crank is a Dura-Ace 53/39 and the cassette is a Dura-Ace 12-25, 10 speed. I'm no pro, I'm just riding recreationally, and from what I've heard compact gears are the way to go for recreational riding? It's not too hilly here and I manage pretty well with what I have but I wouldn't mind something a little easier if it doesn't sacrifice too much power. I rarely use the highest gears anyway so I'm sure I would be ok with something more compact.

I'm curious what your recommendations would be on groupset? I'll check with the LBS to be sure these options will work before I go purchasing anything.

The current wheels are 700C Bontrager Race X Lite Aeros. Just eyeballing the fork clearance I'm guessing I need to stick with the current size. The wheels say "ETRTO 622x15 TUBULAR ETRTO: 635x19 SERIES 6000 SPOKES: 286mm REAR: 286mm DRIVE: 291mm" on the side. They're not carbon but that seems to be what's popular these days? I'm not looking for a huge upgrade but something comparable or slightly better than what I have now would be nice. What would be your recommendations for new wheels?

Finally, since this is an older bike are there any big gotchas I should watch out for when upgrading to modern components? I already know I can't put disc brakes on which is a bit of a bummer. Am I completely crazy to keep my old frame?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-24-19, 06:43 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Have you tallied up the cost of upgrading the old bike vs buying a new one? Labor costs may be a significant factor in the upgrade, unless you DIY.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 08-24-19 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-24-19, 06:51 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Maybe look into a newer used bike with an electronic group that fits within a budget that allows you to keep your old frame and upgrade piece by piece until it's road worthy again.

Post a picture of that custom Madone when you are able.
Old 08-24-19, 03:57 PM
beckerfuffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Have you tallied up the cost of upgrading the old bike vs buying a new one? Labor costs may be a significant factor in the upgrade, unless you DIY.
Thanks this is very good advice. I'm not planning on DIY. I'll get a full quote for the parts and labor before I dump a ton of money into it. My LBS charges really reasonable prices so I don't anticipate labor being more than $300 but I'll check just to be sure.
Old 08-24-19, 04:03 PM
beckerfuffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
Maybe look into a newer used bike with an electronic group that fits within a budget that allows you to keep your old frame and upgrade piece by piece until it's road worthy again.

Post a picture of that custom Madone when you are able.
Maybe, I'm not sure I'm a 2 bike guy just yet ;-). I admit, it's enticing, but I feel like to get a new bike with a comparable frame will probably cost a lot? Definitely, buying new is worth considering, but I'd only consider doing so if I felt it wasn't going to be a downgrade. I'll post a photo of the bike later tonight. Thanks!
Old 08-24-19, 04:20 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by beckerfuffle
Maybe, I'm not sure I'm a 2 bike guy just yet ;-). I admit, it's enticing, but I feel like to get a new bike with a comparable frame will probably cost a lot? Definitely, buying new is worth considering, but I'd only consider doing so if I felt it wasn't going to be a downgrade. I'll post a photo of the bike later tonight. Thanks!
Trust me, you are, even if you don't know if yet.

It really depends on what your budget is for a full second bike. I watch eBay all the time and some great deals come up pretty regularly for bikes just a few years old. But I also understand loving an older bike and wanting to upgrade it to the latest and greatest.
Old 08-30-19, 06:20 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Dude unless u have the tools and skills stop the pain
sell and move on
it will cost u a ton of money 💰
to up grade new
Old 08-31-19, 12:40 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)