Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebars?

Old 10-09-19, 04:08 PM
roadbikeChris

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe, Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Handlebars?

OK, there's no way I can ride with the current configuration. I am pushing 60 and need to be more upright. Looking for suggestions...I want to keep the current brake levers to save cost. Just not sure what to do or what is best.
Likes For roadbikeChris:
Old 10-09-19, 04:19 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by roadbikeChris
OK, there's no way I can ride with the current configuration. I am pushing 60 and need to be more upright. Looking for suggestions...I want to keep the current brake levers to save cost. Just not sure what to do or what is best.
Maybe something like a tall, shorter-reach Nitto Technomic?
You might find that you'll need a different saddle if you shift more of your weight back from where you are used to.
Old 10-09-19, 04:40 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts

A dirt drop stem is also a possibility. This pic is not mine, nor is the bike, found on the web.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-09-19, 04:43 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
I actually moved the levers higher on one of my bikes and it helped me a bunch. But definitely shorter and higher stem, then adjust levers further up to give you a more comfortable support?
Old 10-09-19, 04:47 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Kind of OT but any chance we could see your headtube badge/graphic? I like the look.
Old 10-09-19, 04:48 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
And a set of interrupter brake levers - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0CI7NM/ - in the appropriate diameter.
Old 10-09-19, 04:50 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The Nitto technomic is a good choice. You may find though that what you need is a taller stem but not a shorter stem (or at least not much shorter).

Also check out the Nitto Dynamic. Randonneur bars help also.

Here is a nitto dynamic on my Fuji Finest:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-09-19, 05:15 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Sometimes you might need more height but the Technomic is too much. In that case the Technomic Deluxe is your friend. I think it only comes in 26.0, but shims work if your bar is 25.4.
One thing to bear in mind is that because of the head angle, as you raise the stem, the bars get closer to the saddle. So if you go with a significantly taller stem and make it shorter, you might wind up too cramped.
Old 10-09-19, 05:23 PM
roadbikeChris

wow! Some really great observations!!!
Old 10-09-19, 05:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I had similar problems when I got my first road bike in 30+ years back in 2017 (a Centurion Ironman, standard 1980s road bike like yours). I had chronic pain and poor flexibility in my neck and back due to car wreck injuries several years ago.

At first I made lots of little changes to make the bike a little more comfortable. And I did lots of physical therapy at home and in clinics -- it's still a daily thing to improve or at least maintain my flexibility and strength. Between the bike and body changes I'm now able to use the drops for a minute or so at a time. On the hoods and tops, no problems on rides of 20-50 miles.

And I needed a better saddle. The 1980s style Turbo saddle and copies don't suit me. I need a flatter saddle, fairly narrow (130mm), longer nose and prefer a combination of moderate padding and flexible plastic shell. The newer Selle Italia and similar saddles work best for me. Being comfortable in the saddle affects my comfort on the handlebars as well, and vice versa.

Here's a fairly recent photo of the bike -- I think only the saddle has changed since I took this photo.

The major change was from the original 120mm stem to a 90mm. Much better. It did change the handling a bit so any stem change will require some adaptation. Usually shorter stems make the bike feel a bit twitchy at first. If you can see the front hub while in the drops or on the hoods, the stem is probably too short. If it's too long it will feel more stable but more stretched out which can strain the neck, shoulders, etc.

I also tipped back the original handlebars just a bit, so the bottom of the drops is no longer parallel with the ground. Nothing extreme and it puts my wrist in a more natural alignment.

I raised the brake levers/hoods back just a bit too. I'm on the hoods most of the time so this suits me. I adjusted the brake lever reach (via a grub screw under the points of the brake hoods) so the brakes are fully accessible from the hoods or drops.

The blue tape on the black stem is a makeshift witness mark indicating my previously lower stem height. After I was hit by a car (again) in May 2018, re-injuring my neck and shoulder, I raised the stem about 1/4" and found it more comfortable. I planned to lower the stem as my fitness improved but it works so well in that position I've left it as-is most of this year.

If you look at photos of professional grand tour racers in the 1950s-'60s they often tipped the brakes back so far they were flared out too far to reach the levers from the drops, with brakes that did not have levers with adjustable reach. But in that era the emphasis was as much on comfort as speed and power over the course of a three-week race, especially if they planned to participate in more than one GC race that season.

1989 Centurion Ironman. Mostly original with several minor adjustments to suit my comfort and (hopefully improving) conditioning after several injuries to my neck, back and shoulders.
Old 10-09-19, 05:29 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by rseeker
Kind of OT but any chance we could see your headtube badge/graphic? I like the look.
Here you go!

Old 10-09-19, 05:30 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
Maybe something like a tall, shorter-reach Nitto Technomic?
You might find that you'll need a different saddle if you shift more of your weight back from where you are used to.
Thats a really great point I hadn't considered.
Old 10-09-19, 05:31 PM
roadbikeChris

I was thinking this was purely the handlebars but I can see now it might be more stem related.
Old 10-09-19, 05:36 PM
roadbikeChris

Originally Posted by canklecat
I had similar problems when I got my first road bike in 30+ years back in 2017 (a Centurion Ironman, standard 1980s road bike like yours). I had chronic pain and poor flexibility in my neck and back due to car wreck injuries several years ago.

At first I made lots of little changes to make the bike a little more comfortable. And I did lots of physical therapy at home and in clinics -- it's still a daily thing to improve or at least maintain my flexibility and strength. Between the bike and body changes I'm now able to use the drops for a minute or so at a time. On the hoods and tops, no problems on rides of 20-50 miles.

And I needed a better saddle. The 1980s style Turbo saddle and copies don't suit me. I need a flatter saddle, fairly narrow (130mm), longer nose and prefer a combination of moderate padding and flexible plastic shell. The newer Selle Italia and similar saddles work best for me. Being comfortable in the saddle affects my comfort on the handlebars as well, and vice versa.

Here's a fairly recent photo of the bike -- I think only the saddle has changed since I took this photo.

The major change was from the original 120mm stem to a 90mm. Much better. It did change the handling a bit so any stem change will require some adaptation. Usually shorter stems make the bike feel a bit twitchy at first. If you can see the front hub while in the drops or on the hoods, the stem is probably too short. If it's too long it will feel more stable but more stretched out which can strain the neck, shoulders, etc.

I also tipped back the original handlebars just a bit, so the bottom of the drops is no longer parallel with the ground. Nothing extreme and it puts my wrist in a more natural alignment.

I raised the brake levers/hoods back just a bit too. I'm on the hoods most of the time so this suits me. I adjusted the brake lever reach (via a grub screw under the points of the brake hoods) so the brakes are fully accessible from the hoods or drops.

The blue tape on the black stem is a makeshift witness mark indicating my previously lower stem height. After I was hit by a car (again) in May 2018, re-injuring my neck and shoulder, I raised the stem about 1/4" and found it more comfortable. I planned to lower the stem as my fitness improved but it works so well in that position I've left it as-is most of this year.

If you look at photos of professional grand tour racers in the 1950s-'60s they often tipped the brakes back so far they were flared out too far to reach the levers from the drops, with brakes that did not have levers with adjustable reach. But in that era the emphasis was as much on comfort as speed and power over the course of a three-week race, especially if they planned to participate in more than one GC race that season.

1989 Centurion Ironman. Mostly original with several minor adjustments to suit my comfort and (hopefully improving) conditioning after several injuries to my neck, back and shoulders.

OK, Hoods, Drops and Tops...its all Greek to me though I have an idea of what you mean.
Old 10-09-19, 05:38 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I am a bit older than you. I have the bars turned up a bit so the bottom of the bars aren't parallel to the ground like in the photo. It helps some. I am riding with my hands up on the hoods 99% of the time which helps a lot.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 10-09-19, 05:41 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Sometimes you might need more height but the Technomic is too much. In that case the Technomic Deluxe is your friend. I think it only comes in 26.0, but shims work if your bar is 25.4.
Actually, that looks like a Cinelli 1R stem which means a 26.4mm bar afaik. So you'd be looking at replacing both the stem and the bar since 26.4 was a Cinelli-specific size.
Old 10-09-19, 05:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Also, the Soma Highway One handlebar is among the few compact drop bars (shorter reach across the top, shorter drop between top and bottom grip area) available for quill stem bikes like ours. A friend put this bar on his 1980s Bridgestone road bike and they looked terrific -- just like the FSA Omega compact drops on my '93 Trek 5900, but with threadless rather than quill stem.

If I needed to make my Ironman more comfortable, that would be my next step -- the Soma Highway One bar.
Old 10-09-19, 06:14 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
great old stereo equipment. Another passion of mine...
Old 10-09-19, 06:15 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i'll just echo what others have said....

try a taller stem, first. i found a schwinn super le tour for $5 i couldn't pass on....because dang...it's $5. i thought it was a 56cm, but turns out it's 57cm and i'm only a hair over 5'6. i really wanted it to work for me as a drop bar sports tourer and tried a few different set ups in hopes. to the point, simply raising the handlebars up to saddle level made a surprisingly big difference in reach.

yeah, i'm only 5'6, but long legged and have not quite a full handful of seatpost showing. the original SR quill wouldn't quite come up high enough so i swapped it out with a 90mm velo orange 17* positive rise cromo stem. it's sharp looking without looking quite as odd (to me) as an actual dirt drop. anyway, the original SR road champion bars still made for too much reach, so i swapped in some nitto m151 compact bars with 75mm reach. perfect

if i'd had or could swing the cost for a technomic i would have gone that route, though. the traditional "7" shape and all
Old 10-09-19, 06:16 PM
Nu2Miele

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
parallel to the ground?

Originally Posted by rjhammett
I am a bit older than you. I have the bars turned up a bit so the bottom of the bars aren't parallel to the ground like in the photo. It helps some. I am riding with my hands up on the hoods 99% of the time which helps a lot.

parallel? fFrom the pic it looks like the bottom flats are i line with the top of your rear wheel, which is the way I set my road bikes up. Not 60 yet, but 55.
Old 10-09-19, 06:32 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I was thinking this was purely the handlebars but I can see now it might be more stem related.
It’s really both as a unit, because bars can vary quite a bit in terms of reach and drop. Ideally you would select the bars you want to use and then pick the stem that puts them where they need to be vis-a-vis the saddle. The saddle position should come first btw because its position is in relationship to the cranks, which of course can’t move.
Old 10-09-19, 06:37 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by Nu2Miele
parallel?
I think he was referring to the OP's image.

Old 10-09-19, 06:51 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 275 Posts
Just for starters, try turning the bars so the tops are parallel to the stem.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-09-19, 06:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Try yoga. A few folks in the 50+ forum are riding as low as ever.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-09-19, 06:59 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I had given away my Technomic by the time I got this bike so went with a quill adapter and a riser threadless stem.

Hmm...can't upload an image right now but the setup has given me about 2" of rise--more than available with other stems I tried-- that I really needed for comfort.

Copied one from the Bridgestones thread.

Last edited by thumpism; 10-09-19 at 07:24 PM.
Likes For thumpism:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.