Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Follow up about new Nashbar

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 06:03 AM
builderguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A while back I posted about wanting a new bike and asked for input. I got alot of responses and help. I ended up buying a Carbon road bike from Nashbar. CR105. I had a few people post, that I need to do a review of the new bike.
Being a novice, I don't really think I'm qualified to review the bike, itself, but I was given some direction on a review and I will follow that.

I ordered the bike on Labor Day. It arrived on Friday. I figure 4 days shipping. Pretty quick, but that will depend on where you are in relation to Ohio.

It was packaged well and all of the parts were wrapped with thin plastic and then foam over that.

It needed assembled, of course. I didn't look to see how long it took me. I went pretty slow and was careful. Probably around 30 minutes. I haven't done much to a bike, since I was a kid. I fairly mechanically inclined. I am pretty confident I can fix most things.

I looked everything over really close. I wouldn't say I'm a perfectionist, but I like things just right. As far as I can see, the bike is perfect. I honestly couldn't find a single spot that wasn't perfect. Even the handlebar tape appears perfect.

The back tire was perfectly true. The front tire has about 1/32 out of true. I haven't even messed with it.

The size. I am 6' tall. 33" inseam. (One thing to remember, take your measurements with shoes on. I took mine in socks. Then I put shoes on. That adds a little bit.)
I test rode Specialized bikes. I was right between a 56 and a 58. The 56 seemed a little tight. I ordered a 56 in the Nashbar. In my opinion, it is a big 56. I have compared the measurements to my other bikes. Everything measures the same. I have also spent a fair amount of time doing small adjustments. I believe the geometry of the bike is slightly different. This 56 is as large as I would want to go. If I had bought a Specialized, it probably would have been a 58.

As far as actual ride. It is so much better than my other bikes. Of course, it should be. I am really impressed with the carbon. I feel like it soaks up the bumps better than the steel ones. 1980 Schwinn Le Tour and 1987 Trek 400. Like I said, I realize those bikes aren't a fair comparison, but that's what I've got to compare. I really like the carbon.

The bike shifts easily and quietly. In fact, the whole bike is quiet. I ride early in the morning. There isn't any other noise to hear. It's very quiet.
I have no complaints about the Shimano 105.

The handlebars were a big change. So much wider. I guess things changed over the years. It felt really odd at first. After the first 2 blocks, I forgot all about it.

I do notice the bike is much more responsive. With the other bikes I have to take one hand off the handlebars to shift. Take one hand off the handlebars and I notice it instantly. Just takes some getting used to.

The seat. Doesn't really matter. Everyone is different. It may fit some, maybe not others. The seat is such a personal preference thing. I did ride with it for a while. It's not bad. I rode 15 miles with it the other day. Took it off for good after that. I wanted to give it a while before I just wrote it off.

In retrospect, I didn't need a bike like this. I would have been just as happy with a lesser bike. I can ride it about a mile per hour faster, than the Trek. That's nothing to me. Not needing the bike doesn't matter. If I had gotten a lesser bike, I would have always thought the grass was greener on the other side. Now I don't have to think about it. If I had it to do over again, I would still get it. I get alot of things in life that I don't need.
Old 09-20-16, 06:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
(pretends there is a "Like" button)
Old 09-20-16, 06:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Good for you. Enjoy your bike each time you climb aboard. PG
Old 09-20-16, 08:19 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Nice first time review. This bike would be on my short list if I had to replace one of my current ones. Its a great no-nonsense carbon bike with Shimano 105. Can't complain with that. Also looks like you are the same measurements as me. Feel free to send the bike my way if you get tired of it... Its this one, right?

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_572599_-1___

Last edited by ptempel; 09-20-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 08:40 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Nice review! Lots of people here looking for new bikes and this kind of input is helpful to everyone. Thanks.
Old 09-20-16, 09:58 AM
hanshananigan

Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2006(ish) Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks much for the review! Very nicely done. You've made my choice much more difficult...
Old 09-20-16, 01:12 PM
builderguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that is the bike. I would have posted a pic, but I figured since they are all the same, it wouldn't make much difference.
Old 09-22-16, 08:37 PM
hanshananigan

Bikes: 2006 K2 Apache 6.0, 2006(ish) Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The remaining question I have is whether you are measuring sub-19lbs? A couple other folks have mentioned 18 and change.
Old 04-22-17, 06:17 AM
saint mucus

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by builderguy
A while back I posted about wanting a new bike and asked for input. I got alot of responses and help. I ended up buying a Carbon road bike from Nashbar. CR105.
After flip flopping over a couple bikes I think I've decided on the 105 carbon,I have a couple questions about this bike if you don't mind. Either Nashbar doesn't list the stand over height or I don't understand how to read their chart. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, my current and 1st bike is a Diamondback Insight 1 with a 2XL 22" frame, stand over height is 32.79". The frame is perfect for me, I like a big frame, don't like feeling cramped. You said you like the 56cm, curious to know if you've measured the stand over height your self. Another thing I'm curious about is, is how much if any bar height adjustment is there? Going to be my 1st road bike and not sure about the riding position. Also if you have any real world pictures of it by all means post some, all I can find is the stock photos from Nashbar.
Old 04-22-17, 06:50 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
excellent bang for the buck on a new bike, and i like the no decals look of their bikes.
Old 04-22-17, 08:13 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
This looks good. I may get one soon.

Does it say Nashbar anywhere on it? Even in tiny little letters?
Old 04-22-17, 08:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
This looks good. I may get one soon.

Does it say Nashbar anywhere on it? Even in tiny little letters?

Yes, pic shows a branding on the rear stay inside.
Old 04-22-17, 09:03 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So... the proof of value will come a few years down the road. If the frame holds up, then it will be a good deal, if not, it wasn't. Also, let us know how those Hutchison tires work out. I've never had any luck with hutchison tires.
Old 04-22-17, 08:21 PM
benetga

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Nashbar Carbon105 , Specialized Rockhopper-SS, Aventon Aventure

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have one-56cm and I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam. The bike fits me I think perfect. Tires seem fine, I might replace the brake pads soon other than the seat the bike is stock. I've had it a couple of years and enjoy it today as much as I did when I got it.
Old 04-23-17, 05:31 PM
Ravenwing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had mine for a couple of years as well. Seems to be holding up just fine. Over those 2 years I've put some 28's on it for tires, and a Selle Anatomica saddle, also a Power2Max power meter. At 62 years old, sometimes I wish I'd gone with a more relaxed geometry, but its performed nicely for me on the really rotten roads around northern Maine.
Old 05-05-17, 04:51 AM
builderguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saint mucus
After flip flopping over a couple bikes I think I've decided on the 105 carbon,I have a couple questions about this bike if you don't mind. Either Nashbar doesn't list the stand over height or I don't understand how to read their chart. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, my current and 1st bike is a Diamondback Insight 1 with a 2XL 22" frame, stand over height is 32.79". The frame is perfect for me, I like a big frame, don't like feeling cramped. You said you like the 56cm, curious to know if you've measured the stand over height your self. Another thing I'm curious about is, is how much if any bar height adjustment is there? Going to be my 1st road bike and not sure about the riding position. Also if you have any real world pictures of it by all means post some, all I can find is the stock photos from Nashbar.
Sorry for the delay on replying. I've just been busy.

I'm not as knowledgeable about bikes as most on here. I will answer the best I can.

First off, your inseam is 34"? This was the first mistake I made. I went through all the measurements, just like some recommended websites told me to. I measured my inseam. I did it in my socks. Not thinking that I would be wearing shoes while riding. Changes it a little. The pants I buy are a 32" to 34" inseam, depending on the pants/jeans.

For stand over height, I assume this is the height from the ground to the top of the bar. Mine measures 31 1/2".

For bar height adjustments, I don't know. I never touched it. I'm sure it's possible to change it. In my work, I always figure anything is possible just maybe not feasible.

I am 6' tall, without shoes. My arms are longer than normal. In dress shirts I have to get a 36" sleeve. Most dress shirts in stores have 32" sleeves. (They have some 36, you just have to dig for them)

I am 100% happy with the 56. I think the 58 would have been too big. I'm not sure if I posted in this thread or not, but I had a 58 before. I thought it was good. At first the 56 seemed a little too small. After a couple hundred miles, I can't imagine going back to a 58.
I do think this varies from mfg. to mfg. I know all measurements should be the same, but I suspect there is a difference in geometry that makes them feel different. Personally I think a 58 in Specialized Roubiax feels the same as my 56 Nashbar. I realize we are only talking about a small difference, but I could tell something was different. That's why I suspect the geometry is slightly different.

Riding position compared to a flat bar bike will be different. I really don't know enough to be any help.

One thing I know for sure. I have no regrets about the bike. Then only thing I would change is buying one made in USA. Right now, it wasn't an option for me.

I did change the saddle. A couple times. I think that would almost apply to any bike purchase as that is a very subjective piece of equipment.
Old 05-05-17, 07:13 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Nice bike. The only thing that I don't like about it is the "race" frame. I bought the Trek DomaneS5 with same specs, except with endurance frame. I paid about $1,100 more... for the Trek name and LBS support. Too bad Nashbar don't make those with endurance frames.
Old 05-05-17, 07:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
Nice bike. The only thing that I don't like about it is the "race" frame.
This. I have just about talked my wife into letting me get one more bike ... and every time I see this I think "What a value!"

Thing is, I think I really want a more upright frame and 28-mm tires minimum.

Every time I read this thread, I have to fight to put away the credit card .... What a value!
Old 05-05-17, 08:21 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This. I have just about talked my wife into letting me get one more bike ... and every time I see this I think "What a value!"

Thing is, I think I really want a more upright frame and 28-mm tires minimum.

Every time I read this thread, I have to fight to put away the credit card .... What a value!
Nashbar's prices are incredible. I was very close to buying the Mongoose Selous gravel bike with 105 components from Nashbar. The Motobecane Omni Strada Comp was $100 less from Bikesdirect, plus it was black. I didn't like the teal color of the Mongoose.

I've test-ridden road bikes with 28mm tires. There's not enough difference, in my humble opinion, between 25mm and 28mm to raise a fuss about. Now... 25 vs. 32... yes definitely.
Old 05-05-17, 09:57 AM
radripperaj

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great review! i have been wondering about that bike for a while. Next time they have a 25% off sale it might be hard to not get.
Old 05-05-17, 10:51 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by builderguy
For stand over height, I assume this is the height from the ground to the top of the bar. Mine measures 31 1/2". I am 100% happy with the 56. I think the 58 would have been too big. I'm not sure if I posted in this thread or not, but I had a 58 before. I thought it was good. At first the 56 seemed a little too small. After a couple hundred miles, I can't imagine going back to a 58. I do think this varies from mfg. to mfg. I know all measurements should be the same, but I suspect there is a difference in geometry that makes them feel different. Personally I think a 58 in Specialized Roubiax feels the same as my 56 Nashbar. I realize we are only talking about a small difference, but I could tell something was different. That's why I suspect the geometry is slightly different.
I don't worry about standover height. If you know what you like in effective/virtual top tube and seat tube lengths, then the rest will be ok (usually). I can see why the Nashbar feels like a bigger bike. The actual seat tube (center BB to top) is 56cm. So effective seat tube length is longer (looks like 57cm or a little more) but they don't say what it is. I would ideally prefer a shorter effective seat tube. But their 56cm is "close enough" (the effective top tube length of 56.5cm is bang on for me). Just means that I would have a little less seat post sticking out. The Specialized has less seat tube (51.5cm actual) but they also don't say what the effective seat tube length is. So I suspect that more seat post would have to stick out for this one. But the Specialized has a little more slack head and seat tube angles. So it will probably be a better choice for longer distances (which its marketed for).

Oh, and shoes are usually not used for inseam measurements. Not sure why, actually. The sole thickness could make a very small difference. But maybe not enough to worry about. For the saddle height, I usually measure from floor to chamois in socks. Take 83% of that and you have a ballpark height to try (from center of BB to top of the seat).
Old 05-05-17, 12:21 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by radripperaj
Great review! i have been wondering about that bike for a while. Next time they have a 25% off sale it might be hard to not get.
I was just thinking the same thing, but just noticed they only have the 45, 47, and 50 CM in stock. Here's hoping they restock before I'm tempted by something else.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 05-05-17, 01:37 PM
saint mucus

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SloButWide
I was just thinking the same thing, but just noticed they only have the 45, 47, and 50 CM in stock. Here's hoping they restock before I'm tempted by something else.
Just so everyone knows, I was about to pull the trigger on the Carbon 105 but they were out of my size, I called and they said they wouldn't be restocking. Said the bike is getting a new frame but will be comparable, might be released around the end of this month. I don't think I'm going to wait on it not knowing for sure the exact date they will start selling them. I'm waiting for the next 25% sale and buying the Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike. I keep changing my mind though so who knows lol
Old 05-09-17, 11:59 AM
cb750

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saint mucus
I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam also, I got the 59cm, fits well. I find it more comfortable than my old 56cm Ross 10-speed but then again what wouldn't be? I could take some photos of mine, I've painted it a bit to just personalize it and as a bike project to have over the winter (Northeast weather)
Old 05-09-17, 04:39 PM
saint mucus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb750
I'm 6'1" with a 34 inseam also, I got the 59cm, fits well. I find it more comfortable than my old 56cm Ross 10-speed but then again what wouldn't be? I could take some photos of mine, I've painted it a bit to just personalize it and as a bike project to have over the winter (Northeast weather)
Thanks man but I ordered the Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Nashbar is out of my size in the 105 and wont be restocking. Said it's getting a new frame, it will be comparable but I didn't want to wait another month for my bike.