Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

What are your thoughts on Lance Armstrong doing a cycling podcast??

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

What are your thoughts on Lance Armstrong doing a cycling podcast??

Old 04-10-19, 03:48 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'd prefer Lance's podcast over a podcast of Lori Loughlin teaching parents how to help get their kids into college.
Old 04-10-19, 06:53 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
No, I chastise him for robbing professional cycling of all credibility for about a decade (probably more).

All the other stuff you mention is irrelevant to me. Other people do great things without being a total fraud or criminal in the process.

Actually no, I don't hate him. I'll just continue to ignore him and his podcast, pretend he doesn't exist.
Like you have in this thread??
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 04-10-19, 07:05 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Dont hate on Lance, he is a product of our money driven , win at all costs, big business sponsored athletes. He had no choice , doping had been going on for a long time and in order to win you have to be willing to do that. He may be a bit narcissist. I watched an interview that Charlie Rose did . He seemed so in fantasy world . This was when he was at the height of his career. So something about him just seemed off in that interview . Just to fairy tale like and that touch of narcissism.. . It is also further estimated that a huge % of pro athletes are on performancing drugs. Just look at basketball players build compared to the 60s and 70s
Old 04-10-19, 08:13 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Dont hate on Lance, he is a product of our money driven , win at all costs, big business sponsored athletes. He had no choice , doping had been going on for a long time and in order to win you have to be willing to do that. He may be a bit narcissist. I watched an interview that Charlie Rose did . He seemed so in fantasy world . This was when he was at the height of his career. So something about him just seemed off in that interview . Just to fairy tale like and that touch of narcissism.. . It is also further estimated that a huge % of pro athletes are on performancing drugs. Just look at basketball players build compared to the 60s and 70s
this

but who other than Lance would be willing to tell us that Froome overnights at the next day stage location but Peter Sagan May be staying two hours away from the start point. Tour De France Control’s riders hotels/living quarters/locations on overnights. Who knew%?
Old 04-10-19, 08:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I’m surprised that he thinks that current riders/team sky are riding clean.
Old 04-11-19, 05:19 AM
MarkND

Bikes: Giant Iguana, Raleigh Technium, Schwin Supersport, Specialized Rockhopper Pro, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I chastise him for robbing professional cycling of all credibility for about a decade (probably more).

All the other stuff you mention is irrelevant to me. Other people do great things without being a total fraud or criminal in the process.

Actually no, I don't hate him. I'll just continue to ignore him and his podcast, pretend he doesn't exist.
While he got most of the headlines, Lance was far from being the only doper. Most of the pro peleton was doping in the 90's and early 2000's. They used more primative forms before that. The doping problem was way more than just one person. Lance's personality made him an easier target to hate.
Old 04-11-19, 08:11 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
The cats pretty much out of the bag at this point -- not that it should be condoned -- he did have a choice. But its pretty much par for the course not just in pro athletes, but amateur sports as well.

I sincerely doubt that the Olympics has been a clean sport in decades. The only saving grace is that if everyone's doing it, than things pretty much even themselves back out.
Old 04-11-19, 12:05 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts

You act like Lance was the first doper in saying he robbed professional cycling of all credibility. You have a selective memory of all the doping scandals in the 90's and then in 2000's and even before that. Pantani was busted. Ulrich busted. Contador busted and the list goes on and on. Only in those cases, they are European riders and are looked at much differently than the outcast from the U.S. So it is really not a death sentence in Europe. If you think Lemond was clean as he says, I have a bridge that is for sale. When they dig up the blood bags from Greg's Tour's and he tests clean, I'll believe him. But he is not going to make me believe that in the middle of the EPO era he was the lone wolf staying clean as the virgin snow. Even Merckx was busted TWICE for doping and yet he is regarded as the greatest cyclist of all time. But somehow angel Greg had superhuman self control and rejected all doping methods while the Peleton was doped to hell.

Like it or not, doping IS part of cycling. Always was and will continue with no end in sight. Pretty good evidence to implicate Wiggins and now Froome, aka puff daddy. Suspicions abound. If you are from Europe, you get a pass or slap on the wrist. If you are from the U.S. who is not a cycling power, then draw and quarter them.

Fraud? Again, that is your opinion. I don't see him as a fraud. The dope did not get him up those mountains and pedal the bike for him. Did it help? Absolutely, but at the same time, his peers were also doping and they could not beat him. It is not like he came out of nowhere to win the Tour. He was already an established rider back in the 90's so he was a product of that EPO system in the 90's. He just happened to perfect it I guess. Not to mention he basically started all year training, the usage of watt measurements and other training methods that are now common place. So he has advanced cycling more than any cyclist has over the last 50 years all while putting a black eye on the sport too.

Now criminal? I am not sure of what "crimes" he committed. Where they misdemeanors or felonies? Not sure if doping in a professional bike race rises to the degree of criminality. If that were the case, then quite a few current and ex-cyclists along with a bunch of Olympians would all be in jail.

As I said, you are free to not listen and act like he does not exist and that is fine. Others, as well of myself in here might not like what he did but have moved on and can appreciate his insight on these cycling events.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 04-13-19, 06:39 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I love his podcasts. Especially when George is on.
Plus - it's hard not to admire a guy that won 7 TdF's in a row.
He does a spot - on Peter Sagan voice to boot, I find that virtually priceless.

Last edited by Pemetic2006; 04-13-19 at 06:44 AM.
Likes For Pemetic2006:
Old 04-13-19, 06:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
In Greg's favor of being clean is the fact he and Hampsten were suddenly getting dropped by dometiques who were doping with the new wonder drug epo. They just couldn't be competitive any more. Greg retired shortly after. If he was taking epo also, he probably would have won the Tour a few more times.

".... If you think Lemond was clean as he says, I have a bridge that is for sale. When they dig up the blood bags from Greg's Tour's and he tests clean, I'll believe him. But he is not going to make me believe that in the middle of the EPO era he was the lone wolf staying clean as the virgin snow. Even Merckx was busted TWICE for doping and yet he is regarded as the greatest cyclist of all time. But somehow angel Greg had superhuman self control and rejected all doping methods while the Peleton was doped to hell...."

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-13-19, 09:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Travis Tygart did that, or err USADA. We eat our own.
https://www.usada.org/about/meet-our...avis-t-tygart/

See Javert in Victor Hugo's Les Misérables
Old 04-14-19, 05:09 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
I love his podcasts. Especially when George is on.
Plus - it's hard not to admire a guy that won 7 TdF's in a row.
He does a spot - on Peter Sagan voice to boot, I find that virtually priceless.
I don’t like George. He doped and never paid a price for it. He got rich off of it. Smug dude.
Old 04-14-19, 08:15 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I have no problem with Lance building his podcast audience.

I am frightened by his long-term plans, which I strongly suspect involves politics, running for office.

I suspect his win at all costs mindset is lurking right below the surface.

Governor of Texas?
Old 04-14-19, 09:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Worse. Law school.

"Were you wrongfully denied an SSI disability claim. I can help ..."
Old 04-14-19, 01:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Lance is all over the map on politics

of course maybe that can be a good thing
Old 04-14-19, 05:21 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Lance went all in. Is cheating badly better than cheating well?

The sport, just about any pro (pay all the bills and retire) sport, requires you "win at all costs".

I believe some juniors I know/knew may be as good as an un-cheating Lance was. Just you won't ever hear of them - until they are willing to win at all costs.
Old 07-07-19, 01:55 AM
Stravacyclist79

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Lance is all over the map on politics

of course maybe that can be a good thing
He endorsed 'Beto' I thought he would care about the nation a little bit more than that. Still love love Lance though.
Likes For Stravacyclist79:
Old 07-07-19, 04:41 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
If you want to race in Europe, you need to dope. Lance just wanted to race in Europe.

BTW, his podcast is entertaining and informative.
Old 07-07-19, 06:49 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Wow. About 5 times as much activity on the Lance has a podcast thread as there is about some little old race going on.

Wasn't there a Lance forum and/or a no drugs policy a while back?

Haters gonna hate.

The small bit of his podcast I heard was insightful comment from a guy who knows a thing or two and, since he is PNGd from the entire community, is not beholden to anyone or afraid to skewer a sacred cow. I didn't see it myself, but some of the informed commentary I read was that he is not grinding an axe and is making fair comments. I'll listen to more when I get the chance. Unlike bothering to read any more of this drivel here.
Old 07-07-19, 07:02 PM
Kevin R

Bikes: Raleigh Militis 3 Custom Build

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Lance got caught........doping continues.

Anyways; he was an insider, so lots can be learnt about the sport from listening to that podcast.
Old 07-07-19, 07:15 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kevin R
Lance got caught........doping continues.

Anyways; he was an insider, so lots can be learnt about the sport from listening to that podcast.

This

lots of dopers out there

why just pick on Lance ?
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 07-09-19, 04:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I remember after Lance was busted, you'd never hear his name mentioned by Phil/ Paul during the TdF; however, yesterday as I was watching the TdF, Phil did mention Lance's podcast...Time does heal all wounds.

Trivia Question:

Who won the general classification of the TdF during the years of 1999 - 2005?

Likes For work4bike:
Old 07-09-19, 08:14 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Lance is a tuff idiot.

But he has lots of famous friends and has helped millions with cancer and his podcasts are darn interesting and informative
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 07-09-19, 08:30 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike

Trivia Question:

Ferrari.
Likes For Caretaker:
Old 07-09-19, 02:13 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I remember after Lance was busted, you'd never hear his name mentioned by Phil/ Paul during the TdF; however, yesterday as I was watching the TdF, Phil did mention Lance's podcast...Time does heal all wounds.

Trivia Question:

Two days in a row now where they've given Lance face time during their coverage. Never thought I'd see it but I'm glad. Guess some old wounds are healing although I doubt we'll see old footage of him wearing the Yellow in celebration of its' 100 year anniversary. Don't think NBC will go that far.
Likes For BKE:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.