Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anti-seize vs Grease?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anti-seize vs Grease?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 07:05 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Anti-seize vs Grease?

Hi all,

I have just replaced my square taper Bottom bracket from cup and cone style to a Shimano UN55 sealed cartridge type.

Now I was following this RJthebikeguy tutorial:

He puts anti-seize on the threads. I did not have anti-seize, so I used this Polyurea Grease from Park tool (https://www.parktool.com/product/pol...26%20Compounds) that I have been using on all my threads (pedal threads, bottom bracket treads, etc.): Have I been doing this wrong? I see Park Tool also make an anti-seize, so they are clearly not the same thing. Will my threads get seized up if I use a Grease instead of an anti-seize?

Thank you!

Old 05-23-19, 07:12 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In a bicycle application, they're basically interchangeable. Anti-seize is "high solids," while grease has no solids. So in many applications (particularly those in heat) anti-seize will last much longer. But on a bike, doesn't really matter*. I routinely use both.

*maybe if a bike is left out in the weather to sit for years, using one over the other may have a lasting impact. For the typical user, I seriously doubt it.
Old 05-23-19, 07:18 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I agree. Anti-seize has colloidal copper or lead and is especually effective when fastening dissimilar metals. I use it on all threaded surfaces (works great on wheel lug bolts). In bicycle applications, it is such light duty, any sort of grease will work.
Old 05-23-19, 07:29 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit
I agree. Anti-seize has colloidal copper or lead and is especually effective when fastening dissimilar metals. I use it on all threaded surfaces (works great on wheel lug bolts). In bicycle applications, it is such light duty, any sort of grease will work.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
In a bicycle application, they're basically interchangeable. Anti-seize is "high solids," while grease has no solids. So in many applications (particularly those in heat) anti-seize will last much longer. But on a bike, doesn't really matter*. I routinely use both.

*maybe if a bike is left out in the weather to sit for years, using one over the other may have a lasting impact. For the typical user, I seriously doubt it.
Okay, that is the answer I was hoping for! Thanks guys!
Old 05-23-19, 07:46 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I too use both and see little difference. But I appreciate a good lube debate so I'm hoping it fires up!
Old 05-23-19, 09:09 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
My experience is that anti-seize (as the name says ) provides longer ant seize protection.

If re-applied at least annually, then grease is not too bad either.
Old 05-23-19, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Re; Anti-seize vs Grease?

It's Grease , Plus..
Old 05-23-19, 09:51 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
My choice is anti seize for the bb. Heavy grease will work fine too.
Old 05-23-19, 03:22 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
All true, but has anyone had to deal with an anti-seized part that seized? I don't need to ask if anyone has had to deal with a greased part that seize (stem, seat post, etc.).
Old 05-23-19, 05:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
It's a good question.. some scenarios to consider?
Ti pedals into a (what material are these?) crank's thread?
Alloy Seatpost into a Ti frame?
Ti bolts to secure an alloy stem's faceplate

Isn't the point of anti-seize to avoid galvanic corrosion, not duration or extending time between applications?
Old 05-23-19, 06:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I worry about some dissimilar metals cohabitating nicely. My Trek 5900 has the original Ibis titanium threadless stem. I haven't disassembled anything to check it. For fancy stuff I'd probably pony up for anti-seize grease.

On my bikes with aluminum quill stems in steel headsets I just use Phil's green grease, which is probably marine grease. So far, so good.
Old 05-23-19, 06:06 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I have both. White lithium grease works fine for the purpose.

I don't like the automotive anti-seize that I have because it gets all over things (my fingers, the bike) and is much harder to remove than grease because it has very finely ground solids.
Old 05-23-19, 06:38 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I don't like the automotive anti-seize that I have because it gets all over things (my fingers, the bike) and is much harder to remove than grease because it has very finely ground solids.
Ha, I was going to post the same thing. Anti-seize is great but it is compound that has the innate ability to migrate to everything on the bike, in the shop or on you even though you didn't touch anything else beside the part that gets the anti-seize and the tool driving it
Old 05-23-19, 07:07 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Ha, I was going to post the same thing. Anti-seize is great but it is compound that has the innate ability to migrate to everything on the bike, in the shop or on you even though you didn't touch anything else beside the part that gets the anti-seize and the tool driving it
Same here.
Old 05-23-19, 07:32 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I always envisioned anti-seize for things that are disassembled much less frequently, like cartridge BB 's or bolts used to mount racks. I find the M5 bolts that are used in dropouts for rack mounting, etc., are a tad more likely to get rusty. Seat posts seem to be a bit more out of the elements, so traditionally, I greased them. Upon reflection, though, I might change that over to Anti- seize for seatposts, as well. The rest of the more routinely dismantled threads get grease ( anti -seize is so much messier!). BeforeI learned about anti-seize (mostly from DIY auto repair) I used grease to no ill effect. I would use white lithium grease in places like lower headset bearings or the BB where water might get in. With the waterproof "marine bearing " greases, I no longer fuss with lithium grease at all.
In the automotive world, there were once sticky "assembly" greases that were intended to be displaced by or augmented with thinner hi- temp greases or lubrications. The marine grease has a similar viscosity as the assembly grasses of old. I like synthetic grease, like Super Lube, for my Sturmey Archer IGH's, as it doesn't thin out or wash out from the oil inside the hub.
Old 05-23-19, 10:30 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
All true, but has anyone had to deal with an anti-seized part that seized? I don't need to ask if anyone has had to deal with a greased part that seize (stem, seat post, etc.).
Yeah, Im inclined to say grease is fine, then again parts may seize efter a long time. Form my experience pedals and seat posts are prone to seizing.
Old 05-23-19, 10:47 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It's a good question.. some scenarios to consider?
Ti pedals into a (what material are these?) crank's thread?
Alloy Seatpost into a Ti frame?
Ti bolts to secure an alloy stem's faceplate

Isn't the point of anti-seize to avoid galvanic corrosion, not duration or extending time between applications?
Good questions, I can only say I come from a smoke stack industry where Preventative Maintenance was highly valued and for Ti if I recall correctly we always used a nickel based anti-seize with any dissimilar metals as apposed to cycling where I, owning only aluminum/steel and/or aluminum/aluminum interface, use copper.
Old 05-24-19, 07:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
a compound that has the innate ability to migrate to everything on the bike, in the shop or on you even though you didn't touch anything else
sounds like porcupine quills. I was once stuck w a couple quills taking pics of a dead one, even tho I never touched it!
Old 05-24-19, 07:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I too use both and see little difference. But I appreciate a good lube debate so I'm hoping it fires up!
lots of ppl talking it down on the Jeep Cherokee forum for lug bolts. after breaking a cpl on an old 4Runner I began using it, sparingly of course, when ever I rotated wheels, etc. on all our cars. but now everyone is saying it creates a false torque easiness, meaning we're likely to over torque due to the lubrication & ppl are saying it's best to use nothing, on wheel lug bolts. I don't do that anymore so I can't dictate what other mechanics policies are. but I always like a small smidgen wiped w a cloth. especially around there the steel wheel sat on the rust steel wheel hub, on Wifey's old Tiyota
Old 05-24-19, 10:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...sweet memories.
Old 05-26-19, 05:54 AM
Dr.Lou

Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I use extra virgin olive oil on all my Italian bikes and sesame on Asian bikes.
Old 05-27-19, 08:21 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I use extra virgin olive oil on all my Italian bikes and sesame on Asian bikes.
Don't make the mistake of using toasted sesame oil... the heating causes the oil to gum up and is heck to clean. In fact perilla oil, being a finer sized molecule is much more suitable for racing wheels, reducing bearing friction by .008 percent.
Old 05-27-19, 08:26 AM
Dr.Lou

Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Don't make the mistake of using toasted sesame oil... the heating causes the oil to gum up and is heck to clean. In fact perilla oil, being a finer sized molecule is much more suitable for racing wheels, reducing bearing friction by .008 percent.
I concur, as long as temps don’t drop below 0C
Old 02-10-20, 03:27 PM
todds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an old thread but I believe one place anti-seize really is preferable to grease is freewheel threads. Of course anything is better than nothing, but they get removed so infrequently that anti-seize's long life really helps!

___
/<>/>/>
cambridge, ma
Old 02-11-20, 03:00 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Bicycles are very low-demand applications for lubricants: low speed and low load. Really any grease is fine. You can use anti seize compounds interchangeably with grease on threads, but the reverse isn’t true. Anti seize compounds aren’t lubricants. Anti seize is a reasonable choice when different metals are being threaded or clamped together and can help prevent weird creaks with titanium components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.