Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using Strobes on the Trail

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Using Strobes on the Trail

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 12:55 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
FYI - this is the light we use on the trail. In day light mode. We use it because it is rechargeable. Cygolite Dash 350 lm USB Rechargeable Bicycle Headlight I hope the link works, if not, Google is your friend. So now can we stop with the silliness? Please?

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Dash...ateway&sr=8-44
Old 08-28-19, 01:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
Stop assuming I am using a 5000 lumen high intensity strobe just so you have something to argue about. I stepped out of this thread more than a month ago because it turned idiotic. Don't try and drag me back into it. I use a light so I can be seen. I also use a bell, and I say on your left, I thank people when they move out of the way. While I would like it if other people would announce when they pass my wife and me, it's not the end of the world. We realize that some people Strava time is more important than our safety. The bottom line is, I am a courteous and polite path rider. I want to go ride my bikes with my wife safely. If you want to argue, find someone else to play with. I did not join this forum to fight or argue.
I didn't assume anything. You made a statement that implied very clearly that being annoying was a virtue in a lighting system. If you aren't running annoying lights, I fail to see why you would defend annoyance as being a virtue. It's not consistent with being a "courteous and polite path rider".

Basically, you said that it's good if your light annoys people. You really don't see why that wasn't an extremely argumentative assertion?

Frankly, I think you said something really poorly considered, and you're now saying "I don't really run annoying lights so it's your fault for thinking I do." You'll feel a lot better if you just admit you shouldn't have said it.
Old 08-28-19, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_in_NH
FYI - this is the light we use on the trail. In day light mode. We use it because it is rechargeable. Cygolite Dash 350 lm USB Rechargeable Bicycle Headlight I hope the link works, if not, Google is your friend. So now can we stop with the silliness? Please?

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Dash...ateway&sr=8-44

Where are you pointing it, and what mode do you use on a MUP? Flash mode is completely inappropriate on a MUP at any time of day. It's not even a question.
Old 08-28-19, 03:18 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Where are you pointing it, and what mode do you use on a MUP? Flash mode is completely inappropriate on a MUP at any time of day. It's not even a question.
You know, I started riding bicycles seriously when I was about 24 or 25. I'm 65 now. I was a member of the League of American Wheelmen when it it was still called the League of American Wheelmen. My first real bike was an Austro-Daimler Olympian. My wife and I have well over a dozen bikes in our basement, from road bikes to mountain bikes to fat bikes. I've ridden a bike from Illinois to North Carolina. I've ridden a bicycle across the states of Vermont from north to south, Maine west to east, NH north to south, North Carolina west to east, and I've had the opportunity to ride and tour in Japan and Australia. I'm not new at this, not by a long shot. At 65, I will ride about 4000 miles this year. I normally average around 3500 but I am retired now and have a bit more time, so I will do a few more miles.

If you are assuming the role of the "bicycling professor" trying to teach the young buck a thing or two, well, hell, I'm not that young. Sorry to disappoint.

I do think, you're starting to sound like Bill Clinton though. It doesn't always depend on what the definition of "is" is. From reading your post on this forum, you are far too intelligent to be playing this game. So, from now on, in this thread, if you keep quoting me, and trying to parse every word I've written into something diabolical and in need of your immediate attention, you are going to be talking to yourself. I'm not here to argue. Really. I'm not. It's why I don't post a lot. There's a lot of conflict here. I just want to ride my bike.

Finally, I respect your opinions, even if I disagree with them. I think you would be an interesting man to ride alongside of one day. I'd probably come away a better person for the experience.

With that said, I'll bet I've passed you on a trail a time or two, and you never even noticed my lights. So let's let this rest OK? Thank You.

Last edited by Al_in_NH; 08-28-19 at 03:34 PM.