Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Short Saddles and Narrow Sit Bones

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 09:51 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts

I've been getting the urge to try a short saddle such as the PRO Stealth or Specialized Power since I'm still not 100% happy with the Fizik Arione VS on one of the Propels. I've always stayed in the 130mm width range since my sit bones measure out at 90mm. Tried far more saddles than I'd like to admit. The one determination that I have made is I definitely need a cutout or relief channel. It seems that most all of the short saddles available come in a 142mm or wider version, except the ISM which has an extremely wide nose(s?). Anyone with a narrow sit bone measurement find that they are happy with a 142/143 short saddle? I've been watching for used/cheap on eBay, but they seem to be the saddle-of-the-moment.

FWIW, I have a PRO Vulture MTB saddle on the other Propel. It's a short saddle, with a shallow relief, but measures at 132. It's about the best thing I've come across so far, even with it's slightly wider nose.
Old 08-17-19, 05:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check out the Bontrager Ajna. Listed as a woman's saddle but I didn't care and it was on sale cheap at the LBS, apparently taken off a new Trek. (I got the Ajna Gel, discontinued but possibly available elsewhere.)

I usually prefer 130mm Selle Italia, but the Ajna is just a little wider, a little shorter but I don't notice while riding. The cut-out really helps when I'm in the drops or using the aero bar.

I usually prefer a flatter saddle and this is pretty close to that. The shell flexes just a bit more than my Selle Italia, and is just a little more padded. But very comfortable on 50+ mile rides over the past month, including with minimally padded Aero Tech Pro shorts.
Old 08-18-19, 05:45 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Originally Posted by canklecat
Check out the Bontrager Ajna. Listed as a woman's saddle but I didn't care and it was on sale cheap at the LBS, apparently taken off a new Trek. (I got the Ajna Gel, discontinued but possibly available elsewhere.)

I usually prefer 130mm Selle Italia, but the Ajna is just a little wider, a little shorter but I don't notice while riding. The cut-out really helps when I'm in the drops or using the aero bar.

I usually prefer a flatter saddle and this is pretty close to that. The shell flexes just a bit more than my Selle Italia, and is just a little more padded. But very comfortable on 50+ mile rides over the past month, including with minimally padded Aero Tech Pro shorts.
Thanks for the tip. It's still a bit longer than what I'm hoping to try in the 250mm length range (Ajna is 270mm), but I see Bontrager has a saddle named the Aeolus that is 250mm long, so that might be worth a shot. I've really been leaning towards the PRO Stealth or maybe the Prologo Dimension.
Old 08-18-19, 07:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Just curious, as I've come across the interest and promotion of shorter saddles previously, but I don't understand what they achieve? You're either sitting on your saddle or out of your seat standing, and the shorter saddles seem to just have shorter noses, so is the benefit a little weight reduction?
Old 08-18-19, 07:39 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious, as I've come across the interest and promotion of shorter saddles previously, but I don't understand what they achieve? You're either sitting on your saddle or out of your seat standing, and the shorter saddles seem to just have shorter noses, so is the benefit a little weight reduction?
The shorter nose is supposed to benefit an aggressive position. So if you are in the drops a lot I suppose the lack of the saddle nose helps with pressure reduction. Between my two Propels I notice a huge difference between the Vulture saddled bike and the Arione saddled bike when it comes to getting low. I've been through countless "normal" length saddles and never focused on the length before, only the width. Well this Vulture has opened a door, and now I'm curious. Here's a picture of the Vulture, which is apparently a mountain bike saddle. I can't find length specs online but I'd guess around 255mm or so.

Old 08-18-19, 08:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by str8jakett
The shorter nose is supposed to benefit an aggressive position. So if you are in the drops a lot I suppose the lack of the saddle nose helps with pressure reduction. Between my two Propels I notice a huge difference between the Vulture saddled bike and the Arione saddled bike when it comes to getting low. I've been through countless "normal" length saddles and never focused on the length before, only the width. Well this Vulture has opened a door, and now I'm curious. Here's a picture of the Vulture, which is apparently a mountain bike saddle. I can't find length specs online but I'd guess around 255mm or so.
Ok.. but doesn't that suggest that with a shorter nosed saddle such as these, you'd have parts of your body hanging in front of the nose (ie. to avoid pressure), while with a standard length saddle, these same parts would be weight bearing? I'm trying to imagine how this works, but coming up short (pun intended).
Old 08-18-19, 08:11 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Ok.. but doesn't that suggest that with a shorter nosed saddle such as these, you'd have parts of your body hanging in front of the nose (ie. to avoid pressure), while with a standard length saddle, these same parts would be weight bearing? I'm trying to imagine how this works, but coming up short (pun intended).
Hah! I don't know really. I've just been reading a lot of reviews from Google searches. I think that's why it's so hard to drop $100 on a saddle just to see if it's a game changer.
Old 08-18-19, 08:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Hah! I don't know really. I've just been reading a lot of reviews from Google searches. I think that's why it's so hard to drop $100 on a saddle just to see if it's a game changer.
I'd think maybe more to this purpose would be designs like the below?

Old 08-18-19, 08:36 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
There’s a lot of hype over sitbone measurement as definitive in determining saddle width. And yet there is no standard across saddles from various brands that bear out this idea. Narrow to wide saddles come in many widths and profiles. In my experience, the profile front to rear and tumble-down (or shape of the taper to the saddle edges) along with amount of flex and give (a combination saddle stiffness and padding) are the actual considerations that determine a saddle that works well. Obviously, there is no particularly easy way to determine the combination of those features other than to try various saddles. Saddle fit is very subjective even between cyclists of similar build, ability, and riding style.

Thus the often posted search for advise on the best saddle for a given issue. All anyone can really do is give general comments on what you might do to narrow down choices. The OP is right in that sometimes you just have to try a lot of saddles to find those that work best. The good news is there will be a range of saddles that can work well — not just one ideal saddle. I think most quit when they find a good one so they never discover what else may also work well.

I suggest that you not not summarily rule out saddles based on measured width. I suggest the saddle is only too wide if the profile, tumble-down and flex interfere with full range of leg motion or causes inner thigh rubbing or other perennial discomfort. You may be pleasantly surprised to discover that a 138 or even 142mm wide saddle with the right shape and enough give in the sides works for you.

I took a chance on an inexpensive saddle because I also wanted to try a short, aggressive position saddle without wasting a lot of money on trial and error shopping. To my surprise, it turned out to be the best saddle I’ve ridden. You might give the current year version of the EC-90 a try. I’ve been riding one for about 6 months now. Works well in all riding positions for me.

Good luck in your search!
Old 08-18-19, 12:32 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Selle San Marco Shortfit Narrow is a 134 mm wide short-nose saddle that might be interesting for you. Specialized Power Arc comes in 143 mm, but it has a more rounded profile side-to-side, so it should feel narrower than the regular Power or the Pro Stealth in same width.
Old 08-18-19, 01:48 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I think originally the short saddles were a "work around" for the UCI 50mm minimum set back rule. Allowing riders that wanted a more forward position to stay within the rules. That was certainly the case with TT bikes and then it seemed to migrate to regular road bikes.
Old 08-19-19, 03:24 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

I'd think maybe more to this purpose would be designs like the below?
Not necessarily, although I think a lot of people do use the ISM for road riding. It seems even the narrow width 120mm ISM still has a 55mm width front end. That's pretty dang wide between the thighs.

Originally Posted by Sapperc
There’s a lot of hype over sitbone measurement as definitive in determining saddle width. And yet there is no standard across saddles from various brands that bear out this idea. Narrow to wide saddles come in many widths and profiles. In my experience, the profile front to rear and tumble-down (or shape of the taper to the saddle edges) along with amount of flex and give (a combination saddle stiffness and padding) are the actual considerations that determine a saddle that works well. Obviously, there is no particularly easy way to determine the combination of those features other than to try various saddles. Saddle fit is very subjective even between cyclists of similar build, ability, and riding style.

Thus the often posted search for advise on the best saddle for a given issue. All anyone can really do is give general comments on what you might do to narrow down choices. The OP is right in that sometimes you just have to try a lot of saddles to find those that work best. The good news is there will be a range of saddles that can work well — not just one ideal saddle. I think most quit when they find a good one so they never discover what else may also work well.

I suggest that you not not summarily rule out saddles based on measured width. I suggest the saddle is only too wide if the profile, tumble-down and flex interfere with full range of leg motion or causes inner thigh rubbing or other perennial discomfort. You may be pleasantly surprised to discover that a 138 or even 142mm wide saddle with the right shape and enough give in the sides works for you.

I took a chance on an inexpensive saddle because I also wanted to try a short, aggressive position saddle without wasting a lot of money on trial and error shopping. To my surprise, it turned out to be the best saddle I’ve ridden. You might give the current year version of the EC-90 a try. I’ve been riding one for about 6 months now. Works well in all riding positions for me.

Good luck in your search!
I tried a lot of saddles, then I measured my sitbones and thought I had found the ticket. So I tried a lot more saddles. I'm beginning to think it's all a farce and trial and error is about the only way to determine what works best. I see EC90 makes a knockoff of just about every short saddle on the market right now. Which one did you try?
Old 08-19-19, 04:41 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I have Specialized Power and Pro Stealth saddles on my road bikes. The Power is suited for a "you sit here and nowhere else" position and favors a more upright position (for a road bike). I rode 170 miles on one during RAIN this year and it did quite well. That said, I have a couple of bikes that have more saddle to bar drop that I use for fast club rides. On those bikes I use the Pro Stealth saddle which allows me to pull out onto the nose for big gear churning because it has a wider nose than the Power. I like them both and they're probably the best saddles I've ever ridden. It'll take something pretty spectacular to get me to change.
Old 08-19-19, 11:33 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I have Specialized Power and Pro Stealth saddles on my road bikes. The Power is suited for a "you sit here and nowhere else" position and favors a more upright position (for a road bike). I rode 170 miles on one during RAIN this year and it did quite well. That said, I have a couple of bikes that have more saddle to bar drop that I use for fast club rides. On those bikes I use the Pro Stealth saddle which allows me to pull out onto the nose for big gear churning because it has a wider nose than the Power. I like them both and they're probably the best saddles I've ever ridden. It'll take something pretty spectacular to get me to change.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Very helpful in pointing direction between the two choices. I've been leaning towards the Stealth.
Old 08-19-19, 12:20 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience. Very helpful in pointing direction between the two choices. I've been leaning towards the Stealth.
No problem, saddles these days cost bank and you never know if it'll be "the one". If you made me pick between the two I think I'd pick the Pro Stealth, it allows me to move around fore and aft depending on what I'm doing (ie big gear in the drops on the nose or pushed back to get my back flat for better aero, descending and climbing. In the Power I use a 143mm the Pro Stealth 142 (meaningless to you other than the two widths seem to be comparable). However, when I get back on one of my bikes with a Power saddle I can feel the rear "wings" on the backs of my thighs. After a few miles I forget about it.