Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike & Hike Light , or Bike Light for City Night Walking ?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-06-19, 06:05 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

Looking for a flashlight for walking at night in town , especially on crosswalks as a be seen light .
Surprisingly , I dont see hardly any flashlights suitable for the task , but my Trek Bontrager Ion 800 is pretty good .
Looking for a back-up and other options .
Old 09-07-19, 09:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Looking for a flashlight for walking at night in town , especially on crosswalks as a be seen light .
... .
Perhaps the best way to be seen at night by car drivers when crossing the street at night is with reflective stuff, perhaps some reflective ankle bands or maybe those bands and a reflective belt on the waist?
Old 09-07-19, 07:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I sometimes take my Serfas SL-255 AA-battery headlight as a flashlight/safety flasher on walks. Any headlight with side ports like the Serfas or Light & Motion Urban series would be okay.

But none of my bike headlights or safety lights is really ideal as a walking light. Too many button presses needed to get to the desired steady or flashing mode, and some require a long button press to switch modes.

An ideal walking light would let the user decide the default start-up mode, and be quicker to switch between steady and flashing.

The Blackburn 2'Fer clip-on lights are good for attaching to clothing, backpack or purse straps, even to a hat. Four modes, steady/flashing white and red. Excellent helmet lights to be seen, and the steady white is useful for viewing or reading up close -- not a headlight but bright enough to read a map. But it requires multiple button presses, long presses and isn't handy for quick on/off use.

The next best would be my Vivo Bike Illuminati light (sold under other names, mostly all discontinued now). Instant on, no long presses needed, switches quickly between steady high/low and flashing. After almost four years of use on nearly every ride the button is getting a little finicky but it's handy, compact and very lightweight. Not a great headlight -- the beam wasn't bright enough and cast an irregular pattern due to the oddly shaped reflector and lens. But a very good to-be-seen light, with large side ports to enhance visibility. I've worn it on my helmets for years.

Old 09-07-19, 10:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I used an 800 lumen front light to hike through the night in mountain terrain. On low which was probably 400 lumens? It felt like an artificial sun in the woods. 🔦 ☀️
Old 09-12-19, 02:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I don't understand why you don't like a regular flashlight for being seen. we have walkers in my area & I can see their regular flashlights just fine. they hold them normally, facing down illuminating where they are walking, so they don't trip on stuff, etc. their arm movement is helpful too. but +1 for reflective bits on your clothing. I often wear a headlamp at night doing outdoor projects, so you might consider that as well?
Old 09-13-19, 02:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I used a 600 lumen bike headlight as a flashlight on a night hike in July. It was like an artificial sun. I was able to use it on a lower setting (not sure how many lumens) to save battery, and still navigate by cairn, or follow tread in the woods.