Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

HELP: Cannondale vs GT

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 12:53 AM
mtlmitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, if you had to pick between these two bikes, which would it be and why?

1) 2009 Cannondale F3 with caffeine frame technology
https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9FS3.html

2) 2009 GT Zaskar Elite
https://www.gtbicycles.com/can/eng/Pr...ard-Tail/#5852

THANKS!!!
Old 09-24-08, 05:06 AM
kramnnim

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd test ride them both, and pick the one that felt more comfortable to me.
Old 09-24-08, 05:14 AM
sirtigersalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd go with the cannondale why? well a couple reasons, they have basically the same level parts, in fact same wheels and brakes, but the cannondale is x7 and the gt is "shimano 9 speed trigger) i assume deore, regardless personally i like sram better cause i like doulbe thumb over thumb trigger finger, also the cannondale is prolly lighter, the f3 is like under 27 lbs stock, the gt isn't this is for 2 reasons, cannondale makes really light really nice alloy frames, and the f3 is one of the ones still made in the USA (usa frame quality is better than china) and the fork weighs alot less, the headshock is 2.88 lbs, the tora is alot more, however alot of people hate the way the headshock looks, but it performs really well and is super light, it ends up being hard to upgrade cause its so light, you go hmm i dont' want my bike ot be heavy specially in the front end, but i wan't more travle, so you end up lusting after a fox f120 or a reba 115,

BUT the biggest reason i would go with the cannondale is I HATE GT FRAMES they look ugly and stupid, blah blah they are really stiff in back cause of that tripple triangle thing but that shouldn't effect lateral stiffness, in fact many bike f3 included have shaped seat stayes designed to flex and reduce vibration, so its my unfounded theory that the gt frame sents all that shock and vibration into your ass, while not acutally giving you any more lateral stiffness to help get you up hills, AND ITS UGLY
Old 09-24-08, 08:23 AM
CercaMemorial
No Compromise.

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820 (Commuter), 1980s Bianchi (In Storage), 1970s Windsor fixed (Sold), BMC Superstroke 01 (Sold), Access XCL ss, Ellsworth Sub 22 (Sold), Trek 930 (Lending to a Friend), Voodoo Bokor One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Zaskar is going to be a better all around bike. I have a 100mm Tora fork on my XC bike and I love it because it's really stiff, simple and a great EVERYTHING fork. Also if you want to change to something different down the line you can, wheelset is nice and strong, shimano vs sram is going to be strictly your preference in functionality. I love the zaskar and actually plan to purchase a 2009 Zaskar very soon. It comes stock around 28 lbs. Don't focus so much on weight, focus on the ride and application. Oh and Cannondale was bought by Dorel Ind. so don't be surprised if manufacturing has moved overseas as well, just like GT.
Old 09-24-08, 08:27 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
As much as I want to say the GT, got to say get the Cannondale. The F3 is a really good bike with a solid spec on it.
Old 09-24-08, 08:35 AM
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy

Bikes: a lot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtigersalot
i'd go with the cannondale why? well a couple reasons, they have basically the same level parts, in fact same wheels and brakes, but the cannondale is x7 and the gt is "shimano 9 speed trigger) i assume deore, regardless personally i like sram better cause i like doulbe thumb over thumb trigger finger, also the cannondale is prolly lighter, the f3 is like under 27 lbs stock, the gt isn't this is for 2 reasons, cannondale makes really light really nice alloy frames, and the f3 is one of the ones still made in the USA (usa frame quality is better than china) and the fork weighs alot less, the headshock is 2.88 lbs, the tora is alot more, however alot of people hate the way the headshock looks, but it performs really well and is super light, it ends up being hard to upgrade cause its so light, you go hmm i dont' want my bike ot be heavy specially in the front end, but i wan't more travle, so you end up lusting after a fox f120 or a reba 115,

BUT the biggest reason i would go with the cannondale is I HATE GT FRAMES they look ugly and stupid, blah blah they are really stiff in back cause of that tripple triangle thing but that shouldn't effect lateral stiffness, in fact many bike f3 included have shaped seat stayes designed to flex and reduce vibration, so its my unfounded theory that the gt frame sents all that shock and vibration into your ass, while not acutally giving you any more lateral stiffness to help get you up hills, AND ITS UGLY
Awesome
Old 09-24-08, 01:16 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they're the same price the Cannondale is a better bike.
Old 09-24-08, 02:25 PM
sirtigersalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CercaMemorial
Oh and Cannondale was bought by Dorel Ind. so don't be surprised if manufacturing has moved overseas as well, just like GT.
C'dale was bought by pacific cycles (at least thats what i understood, idk if thats the same as dorel) either way they have already moved the low end bikes to production in taiwan (Not china) however they are also maintaining the Bedford PA factory in the US for the higher end cannondales, basically anything over a grand is still made in the USA, maybe someday they move overseas entirely, but they have been promising not to destroy the cannondale brand like they did with GT and mongoose. Really funny actually, all the cannondale dealers got a letter basically saying "we promiss not to f this up, you won't see c'dale in wal-mart"
Old 09-24-08, 02:29 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion Schwinn and Mongoose were the ones that got screwed up by Dorel, but GT still does some pretty cool stuff. The 08 and 09 lineups are pretty sweet. Hopefully the same will be true of Cannondale.
Old 09-24-08, 02:39 PM
lanfarm
Gotta Catch em all!

Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sirtigersalot
C'dale was bought by pacific cycles (at least thats what i understood, idk if thats the same as dorel) either way they have already moved the low end bikes to production in taiwan (Not china) however they are also maintaining the Bedford PA factory in the US for the higher end cannondales, basically anything over a grand is still made in the USA, maybe someday they move overseas entirely, but they have been promising not to destroy the cannondale brand like they did with GT and mongoose. Really funny actually, all the cannondale dealers got a letter basically saying "we promiss not to f this up, you won't see c'dale in wal-mart"
Dont assume that a frame made in Taiwan is going to be so much worse than one made in US. If its a reputable bike company, they will be top quality. The only reason they are made there is because of labor costs. There could be a awesome frame maker but just with low pay. Assuming makes and Ass out of you and me.

Sorry, I just hate people assuming anything from China and Taiwan is crap.
Old 09-24-08, 04:40 PM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're ever planning on upgrading the fork, get the GT, the 1 1/8" will be better than the 1 1/2 of the Cannondale. The C'dale has better spec, but I'm not a big fan of the headshok design.

And FWIW, the new Shimano shifters have dual-direction levers, so they can be thumb-finger or thumb-thumb.
Old 09-24-08, 04:44 PM
giant rules!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id get the cannondale. seems to me to be the nicer then the gt. have u looked at other brands to?...like giant, specialized, felt, scott, bianchi, trek
Old 09-24-08, 07:32 PM
sirtigersalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
duel direction shifters where only on the higher end shifters to my knowlege, i think LX has it but not sure, the deore i've seen defenately doesn't

the usa cannondales are defenately nicer than the taiwan ones, no question, that may not be true for all manufactures ect ect, but for cannondale i am pretty confident saying the US ones are better

as far as upgrading the fork thats not a big deal, just need a new headset for a 1 1/8 stear tube, i have a cannondale rush with a fox f120 on it, FSA makes and inexpensive conversion headset, but yeah the headshok fork it self may not be to your likeing, personally i'd rather have a normal style fork, but unless you spend alot it upps the weight by quite a bit

as i said before my main problem with the GTs is the funky frame design that i hate, if you don't have a problem with it than the GT is fine, you will enjoy either bike, it kinda comes down to do you hate GT frames or do you hate C'dale forks lol
Old 09-24-08, 07:52 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just walk
Old 09-24-08, 09:15 PM
CercaMemorial
No Compromise.

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820 (Commuter), 1980s Bianchi (In Storage), 1970s Windsor fixed (Sold), BMC Superstroke 01 (Sold), Access XCL ss, Ellsworth Sub 22 (Sold), Trek 930 (Lending to a Friend), Voodoo Bokor One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like i'm the only GT fan left.
Old 09-24-08, 10:17 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
It's just that they release their top racers after a career season.

Last year they released Brian Lopes after winning the world championship and overall world cup season points championship in pretty much a sweep of the races. This year they let go of Jill Kitner, never mind she won them a Bronze Medal in the Olympics in bmx. Seems like the only pro rider they are consistent at keeping is a washed up trials rider.
Old 09-24-08, 10:19 PM
mtlmitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions.
I actually like the LOOK of the GT bike much more, but I'm utilitarian, so if the C'Dale is a better bike, I'd sacrifice some of the aesthetic value.
And I don't plan on changing any parts.
Old 09-24-08, 11:29 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator

Last year they released Brian Lopes after winning the world championship and overall world cup season points championship in pretty much a sweep of the races. This year they let go of Jill Kitner, never mind she won them a Bronze Medal in the Olympics in bmx. Seems like the only pro rider they are consistent at keeping is a washed up trials rider.
I wonder about that too. Though they still have a few reasonably notable pros signed on,

I wonder if Cannondale and GT being owned by the same parent company complicates the sponsorships stuff.
Old 09-25-08, 07:54 AM
mic2377

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at a bunch of bikes, and ended up with a Cannondale F3.

It is a great bike, and very light for the money. The headshok is also a good fork, very stiff for the weight and an excellent race fork.

However, do remember that the headshok is not really user-serviceable. This may not matter, if you don't want to service the other fork anyways.

It would be no problem with just a few component swaps to have a 22 lb XC bike with the C-dale. These babies are "perfection in aluminum."

Plus, you get to support an american-made bike, if that matters to you. I got my F3 as a last-year's model for the paltry price of $800, so I got a pretty good deal.

Edit: The component spec on the C-dale is very solid as well. You won't have to change any parts for a long time....
Old 09-25-08, 10:11 AM
zlr101

Bikes: 2001 f2000sx 2002 r2000si

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have owned both gt bikes and cannondale, the gt was a nice daily rider the cannondale was a much more performance end bike, don't be scared of the head shock.
Old 10-24-08, 07:35 PM
swaustex

Bikes: 1992 GT Avalanche , 1997 GT LTS 1, 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks for the info about the GT/Cannondale being the same company. I found this to back up that claim.

https://www.dorel.com/corporate.htm
Old 10-30-08, 03:53 AM
lfcrule2106
the names dave...

Bikes: gt avalanche 09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT! I LOVE THEIR FRAMES HOW CAN U SAY THAT THEY ARE TOO STIFF.
they are so strong and are not likely to snap. i rode my friends scott bike (forgot what model) it just felt flimsy and i didnt want to go off the dirt jump because i though it would just snap wheras my gt feels so strong but doesnt give my huge vibrations because i have learnt how to ride it
also, the gt throws your weight forward whixh at first seemed strange but whne u try to ride up hills it somehow helps
Old 10-30-08, 05:56 PM
SUNCOAST

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 6, Specialized Tarmac SL6 Expert D.A., Niner RLT 9 Steel, Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden both frames and purchased the 08 Cannondale F3. To each his own, like someone else said ride both. I actually prefer the HeadShock with it's easily accessible lock out. The F3 Caffeine frame is "Made In America" and is very light for this price point. So far the Avid Juicy 3's have been all or more than I need for off-road. Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-31-08, 05:20 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannihilator

Don't be so hard on Mr Hans. A bike company is going to put money into who they feel is going to promote their product. What about Iron Horse and Mr. Hill. From what I hear he'll be on that brand that sucks next year.

Originally Posted by born2bahick
Awesome
I thought the same thing!
Old 10-31-08, 08:32 AM
Halebopp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm partial to GT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.