Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should we stop for a school bus?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 02:35 AM
adamtki

Bikes: Soma cyclocross with Bionx PL500HS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We all know that we should follow the same rules that cars follow on the road (for the most part). But, we also know bikes and cars are very different. So when I'm riding along the shoulder, bike lane, or even on the road, I find myself stopping for school buses when they have the stop sign out. So I sit there wondering if I should slowly move past it. Safety wise, I don't think it's a real concern - it's like passing kids when you ride through a trail or park. But I know people can't get over the fact that I'm breaking a rule of the road. I never do end up trying it as I don't want to make cyclist look bad.

This situation is very similar to when I was stopped with traffic when a volunteer was guiding a group of pedestrians across the crosswalk. I found a gap and slowly (5mph) rode through. After I get across, I get yelled at by that volunteer - "HEY, you know better than that!" I think he got upset more because I didn't respect his authority rather than for any real safety concerns.

So what do you guys think? Is it ok to slowly pass a school bus since it's really no different than riding your bike through a park?
Old 06-01-11, 05:59 AM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completely follow you on the bikes are not cars etc., but do stop for flashing school buses and cross-walks. I know, we all hate to breathe in the crap from the tail end of one of these beasts.

I'd say if you dismount and walk across then hop back on, that should be less agitating to the crossing guard.
Old 06-01-11, 06:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
seems like it might be more of a safety issue for you than the kids. In my experience, school buses are driven by people that don't know how to pass cyclists safely
Old 06-01-11, 06:28 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless you're about to turn off that road, it seems to me you're inviting a dangerous game of leapfrog with the bus driver. How long after your illegal pass will the bus be passing you again?
Old 06-01-11, 06:36 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe that pretending that bicycles are cars is a good idea. I would say pass carefully and slowly, but then I would also suggest rolling through stop signs and empty intersections and passing traffic jams in the centre of the road.
Old 06-01-11, 06:38 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I wait or walk past (the latter at a school on my commute where the wait would be minutes).
Old 06-01-11, 06:43 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by adamtki
This situation is very similar to when I was stopped with traffic when a volunteer was guiding a group of pedestrians across the crosswalk. I found a gap and slowly (5mph) rode through. After I get across, I get yelled at by that volunteer - "HEY, you know better than that!" I think he got upset more because I didn't respect his authority rather than for any real safety concerns.
This is odd logic.

If you were a bus driver or a crossing guard, you'd find it much easier to determine that vehicles are stopped that it would be to determine that the cyclist or car driver was acting in a "safe" manner. Since pretty-much all operators think they are driving in a "safe" manner even when they aren't, "I'm operating safely" really doesn't work as an excuse to cherry-pick laws to follow.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-01-11 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 06:47 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no problem passing a stopped school bus, just like a city bus. As for the cross walks, no pedestrians or cars, I'm going thru the crosswalk & intersection. Even if I have to stop briefly and look both ways. Never had anyone say a word to me about it ever, don't think I ever will ?
Old 06-01-11, 07:04 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want the rights to access roads as a vehicle, then you must be prepared to obey the same laws as a vehicle. Vehicles are required to stop for school buses, whether they are machine powered or human powered. If you don't consider yourself a vehicle, then go right ahead and pass the bus. But by the same logic you should be on riding on the sidewalk, not the road.

As another poster mentioned, what is there to gained by passing the bus? In a few moments that bus will be rolling again and it is going to want to go faster than your top speed. By doing this not only have you aggravated the driver by rolling through his or her flashing red stop sign, but you are ahead of the bus going at cycling speeds and forcing the bus to pass you. As for the safety of the maneuver: small children are quite unpredictable and bicycling around them is a challenge regardless of the circumstance. A large bus which obstructs your view only increases the difficulty. (Although I do recognize that teenagers are a bit more orderly getting on and off a bus).
Old 06-01-11, 07:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Why would you stop for a city bus?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-01-11, 07:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Come on people-----if we want respect as a legal conveyance on the road, OBEY all rules!!!

This and the cyclist that moose up along the right side of cars at stops are doing something illegal, but most of all decreases respect for all cyclist among drivers.
Old 06-01-11, 08:06 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
A similar thread like this one was eventually moved out of A and S.

Old 06-01-11, 08:16 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jputnam
Unless you're about to turn off that road, it seems to me you're inviting a dangerous game of leapfrog with the bus driver. How long after your illegal pass will the bus be passing you again?
Yeah. Don't **** with buses, don't **** with trucks, they often just can't see you even if they are trying to be careful. You better be damn sure that bus isn't pulling out while you're passing it if you're going to do that.
Old 06-01-11, 08:23 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you want to go past a school bus with flashing lights, dismount and walk. I just wait.
Old 06-01-11, 08:36 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the mouth of a police officer (in Texas at least), Yes you stop for a school bus just like a vehicle is required to stop for a school bus.
Old 06-01-11, 08:42 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Consider this. If you stop and wait, you lose tops 2 minutes. If you go and for whatever reason you are involved in somthing that hurts a kid....Ever see a parent go ballistic? Think the police would give you ANY consideration? No, you'd see a max possible fine for the worst offense the officer can find, and likely a move to restrict cycling rights at the next town council meeting...."for the children."
Old 06-01-11, 02:53 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
This is odd logic.

If you were a bus driver or a crossing guard, you'd find it much easier to determine that vehicles are stopped that it would be to determine that the cyclist or car driver was acting in a "safe" manner. Since pretty-much all operators think they are driving in a "safe" manner even when they aren't, "I'm operating safely" really doesn't work as an excuse to cherry-pick laws to follow.
All I can say is, trust me. I did it safely. To give you an idea of how I bike, I get honked at about every 1000 miles or more.
Old 06-01-11, 02:56 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wnl256
If you want the rights to access roads as a vehicle, then you must be prepared to obey the same laws as a vehicle. Vehicles are required to stop for school buses, whether they are machine powered or human powered. If you don't consider yourself a vehicle, then go right ahead and pass the bus. But by the same logic you should be on riding on the sidewalk, not the road.

As another poster mentioned, what is there to gained by passing the bus? In a few moments that bus will be rolling again and it is going to want to go faster than your top speed. By doing this not only have you aggravated the driver by rolling through his or her flashing red stop sign, but you are ahead of the bus going at cycling speeds and forcing the bus to pass you. As for the safety of the maneuver: small children are quite unpredictable and bicycling around them is a challenge regardless of the circumstance. A large bus which obstructs your view only increases the difficulty. (Although I do recognize that teenagers are a bit more orderly getting on and off a bus).
I rarely force drivers to squeeze around me. There's a bike lane or a shoulder in the situations I'm talking about. What is there to gain? Time. I'm not passing the bus just to pass the bus. I'm just trying to get to my destination faster. Since there's a bike lane, the bus driver doesn't need to swerve around me to pass.
Old 06-01-11, 02:58 PM
adamtki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Consider this. If you stop and wait, you lose tops 2 minutes. If you go and for whatever reason you are involved in somthing that hurts a kid....Ever see a parent go ballistic? Think the police would give you ANY consideration? No, you'd see a max possible fine for the worst offense the officer can find, and likely a move to restrict cycling rights at the next town council meeting...."for the children."
The same situation applies if you ride your bike down a trail through a park that has lots of kids and pedestrians.
Old 06-01-11, 03:29 PM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stop, walk, or ride your bike on the opposite side of the street's sidewalk (ack).
I stop. Kids have an interesting tendency to do interesting things like come running out from the front of the bus.
Old 06-01-11, 03:43 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Kids have an interesting tendency to do interesting things like come running out from the front of the bus.
That no longer happens in my area, gone are the days of just opening the school bus door and letting Lil' Johnny and Janie run free as they like.

Old 06-01-11, 03:47 PM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fuji86
I have no problem passing a stopped school bus, just like a city bus.
In general, it's not illegal to pass a stopped city bus, but it is illegal to pass a stopped school bus with its lights flashing.

All I can say is, trust me. I did it safely. To give you an idea of how I bike, I get honked at about every 1000 miles or more.
This says more about the drivers in your area than it does about how you ride.
Old 06-01-11, 04:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
So what do you guys think? Is it ok to slowly pass a school bus since it's really no different than riding your bike through a park?
You're putting way too much thought into it. It doesn't matter how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
Old 06-01-11, 05:26 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
i stop when any other vehicle would also be required to stop
Old 06-01-11, 07:53 PM
____asdfghjkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah I stop for the school bus so some one in their car won't think i'm a jackass on a bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.