Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Bicyclists Rx's?? Choose all that apply

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: 50+ Bicyclists Rx's?? Choose all that apply
Hypertension (high blood pressure) - Please choose as many below as apply.
28.42%
Diabetes treatment
9.47%
Cholesterol control
26.32%
Pain/Arthritis
13.68%
Cancer
2.11%
Psychotropic (depression, anxiety, etc.)
6.32%
Osteoporosis
1.05%
My Rx's have decreased since I started bicycling
8.42%
None
48.42%
Other, please tell us below. Thanks so much
8.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 06:53 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

What Rx's (drugs) do 50+ bicyclists take? Have they increased or decreased since you started bicycling?

Choose as many as apply.

This poll is anonymous.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-14-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-14-11, 08:05 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have Arthritis, and sometimes I can get some serious attacks. However, I don't take anything for it. My main weapon I use against Arthritis is working out with weights daily. So far, it has been working.
Old 08-14-11, 08:39 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Estrogen. You have to ask???

;~)
Old 08-14-11, 09:40 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I take a thyroid supplement and a steroid nasal spray. I also take an antihistamine that no longer requires a prescription. My arthritis has so far been handled by exercise and occasional ibuprofen. Diet and exercise has been very effective in my case for keeping my cholesterol levels and ratio good.
Old 08-14-11, 10:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
looks like I'm in the lead group with the non medicated crowd.
Old 08-14-11, 10:19 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I had no cholesterol issues at all and my MD at the time gave me a prescription for it because "all the doctors are taking it". I went through 6 months of incredible leg pains before he did blood work confirming elevated pancreatic and liver enzymes all a reaction to the new miracle drug Lipitor. No permanent damage and have been back to medication free status since. They earned the nickname "quacks".
Old 08-14-11, 10:39 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Non medicated here too. I take the occasional pepcid, ibuprofen or aspirin but that is it, unless doc describes something for a specific ailment.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-14-11, 11:01 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by jdon
I had no cholesterol issues at all and my MD at the time gave me a prescription for it because "all the doctors are taking it". I went through 6 months of incredible leg pains before he did blood work confirming elevated pancreatic and liver enzymes all a reaction to the new miracle drug Lipitor. No permanent damage and have been back to medication free status since. They earned the nickname "quacks".
Do no harm!
Old 08-14-11, 12:04 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I was taking no meds other than vitamins, minerals, etc until recently. I'd been riding for 10 years with no problems. My primary care doc said my cholesterol was great, no high blood pressure, etc. Then in the spring of 2009 my wife's doc recommended that she have a cardiac calcium score exam because she has had borderline cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure for years. Her mother (who was 4'-11" and weighed in at 90 pounds) had the same problems. My wife suggested that I have the test too since my dad had heart problems and 3 heart attacks. I said ok.
She passed the test with flying colors. My score came back really crappy. I was referred to a cardiologist (who is a cyclist ) and he said my problem is heredity. Nothing I could have done to prevent it.
So now, along with vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, and aspirin I take a low dose of simvastatin to keep my already low cholesterol as low as possible. It was 165 before the meds. With the simvastatin it is 95.
My primary care doc was completely blown away with the test results. He just assumed I was healthy because the "usual tests" were always ok.
My cardiologist says to keep on riding. Nothing to worry about.

I've always had an annual physical. I know too many men who don't go to the doctor unless they go by ambulance. Are they afraid of what the doc will tell them?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-14-11, 12:10 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I wish the poll software allowed cross-tabbing, so one could chart Rx's vs. age. My guess is that the use of Rx's goes up significantly as you get older.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-14-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 01:00 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I wish the poll software allowed cross-tabbing, so one could chart Rx's vs. age. My guess is that the use of Rx's goes up significantly as you get older.
Not in our family. My dad is in his 80's and doesn't take any maintenance medications. He does have some dietary restrictions, but they are fairly minor. I figure genetics play into it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 08-14-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 01:06 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I was taking no meds other than vitamins, minerals, etc until recently. I'd been riding for 10 years with no problems. My primary care doc said my cholesterol was great, no high blood pressure, etc. Then in the spring of 2009 my wife's doc recommended that she have a cardiac calcium score exam because she has had borderline cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure for years. Her mother (who was 4'-11" and weighed in at 90 pounds) had the same problems. My wife suggested that I have the test too since my dad had heart problems and 3 heart attacks. I said ok.
She passed the test with flying colors. My score came back really crappy. I was referred to a cardiologist (who is a cyclist ) and he said my problem is heredity. Nothing I could have done to prevent it.
So now, along with vitamins, minerals, herbal supplements, and aspirin I take a low dose of simvastatin to keep my already low cholesterol as low as possible. It was 165 before the meds. With the simvastatin it is 95.
My primary care doc was completely blown away with the test results. He just assumed I was healthy because the "usual tests" were always ok.
My cardiologist says to keep on riding. Nothing to worry about.

I've always had an annual physical. I know too many men who don't go to the doctor unless they go by ambulance. Are they afraid of what the doc will tell them?
Heredity for me too. I had a K Stone in my early 40's{ first was at 18** and they found mine to be 380. I was already watching what I ate and riding so they put me on simvastatin and now it's around 190.
Old 08-14-11, 08:55 PM
303tango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Henry Ford said it first. " If you think you can't, or, you think you can, either way, you're right. My point here is that a good portion of the game is attitude, and that doesn't come in a prescription bottle. It's free but mostly overlooked.

I'm 69 and take no prescription drugs. I'm recovering from a hernia repair right now and can't wait to get back in shape to ride. Best regards to everyone who is working on their health. If you haven't started, read the opening again....... Jeff
Old 08-14-11, 09:57 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No meds here either...the occasion naproxen sodium for muscle aches, and vitamins. A healthy diet, exercise, and good genes go a long way.
Old 08-15-11, 07:47 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Count me as "none."

The pharmaceutical industry is extremely profitable.

It may be profitable because so many "need" daily medication.

Or perhaps, so many "need" daily medication because the pharmaceutical industry is extremely profitable.
Old 08-15-11, 08:28 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I would love to be in the "none" category and have avoided "needing" several drugs via diet and exercise. But I tried for years to handle my sinus allergies without antihystamines and suffered greatly from sinusitis, headaches, burning and watery eyes etc. The need for thyroid medicine is a result of radiation treatment.
Old 08-15-11, 08:58 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reality, or my medical records? On my recent hospitalization to address trauma from my fall I discovered that, according to my medial records, I was on several drugs that I had never heard of. What was equally surprising was that neither the hospital nor the doctors were willing to correct the records when I brough the matter to their attention. The latter fits right in with the general attitude in the medical community that the patient is wrong until proven otherwise.
Old 08-15-11, 10:02 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the poll. I was starting to feel alone in not needing medication.
Old 08-15-11, 11:51 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Last edited by volosong; 08-15-11 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 12:59 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I need 10 Rx a day, several 2-4 times a day. Pain med, not for arthritis, is for back and abdomen where I have had 3 back surgeries and 13 abdominal surgeries for scar tissue that returns within 6 months of each surgery. Cuts off the small intestine. MRSA keeps percolating in the abdomen and causes large surface and internal pockets. I still keep riding and racing MX on my YZ 426F.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-15-11, 04:15 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Wow, lots of personal health information is being exposed here. Don't forget that the site is public for all to see.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-15-11, 04:33 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Wow, lots of personal health information is being exposed here. Don't forget that the site is public for all to see.
Every clerk in a MD's office, every admissions office in a hospital, every insurance claim adjuster, every pharmacist and pharmacist aide, and a whole lot more people know every detail of your medical history.

Every person sittting in a waiting room at any health office hears all about you (and everyone else).

HIPPA is a joke.
Old 08-15-11, 04:40 PM
Brew1

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on nothing except the occasional glass of wine or beer to take the edge off of a frustrating day of work and watching my 401k do into the toilet..
Old 08-15-11, 05:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Zip.

How come ED meds aren't listed?
Old 08-15-11, 05:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Reality, or my medical records? On my recent hospitalization to address trauma from my fall I discovered that, according to my medial records, I was on several drugs that I had never heard of. What was equally surprising was that neither the hospital nor the doctors were willing to correct the records when I brough the matter to their attention. The latter fits right in with the general attitude in the medical community that the patient is wrong until proven otherwise.
Medication reconciliation - making sure that every care provider, patient, family, hospital, drug store, etc. are on the same page about meds we take, or took, or will take - is proving very difficult for healthcare organizations to get a handle on. We're doing much, much better than we used to do but still have a long way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.