Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Varsity Road bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 02:19 PM
I_Lind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone:

I'm seeking advice on a Schwinn Varsity Road bike that I found on craigslist but am not sure if it is worth the money that the seller is offering (actually the seller offered to knock down the price to $70 instead of $100). I am looking to commute to school and tour around town with it. Please advise and thank you in advance:]

Here is the picture:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/2555328055.html
Old 08-22-11, 04:22 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
24" TIRES?>!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you short? Does the bike need ANY work at all? (I don't mean cosmetic) Really.. the wheelsize puts me off a lot.. most people seem to love their Varsity's its a choice of restore guys and fixie guys alike, but keep in mind it's built like a tank.. and really 24" tires.... jeeze.. umm yeah if your very short, need a solid commuter and it needs no work by all means I say get it!
Old 08-22-11, 04:36 PM
Anonymoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not rare at all, wheels look 27" to me. It is heavy. I personally wouldn't spend more than $20 for one. I'd pass.

Edit: Just noticed there is already another thread about this. Are there really Varsitys with 24" wheels?

Last edited by Anonymoose; 08-22-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 04:41 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
It's not rare at all, wheels look 27" to me. It is heavy. I personally wouldn't spend more than $20 for one. I'd pass.

Edit: Just noticed there is already another thread about this. Are there really Varsitys with 24" wheels?
I believe the one in the link really has 24" wheels, especially considering it says the frame is 39-40... Only reason I'd suggest he/she gets it is if it's really the right size for them and they really like Varsity's.
Old 08-22-11, 05:11 PM
jim hughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are neither rare, nor hard to find, and the price is high unless it's in really beautiful condition, which is impossible to tell from those cr@ppy photos.
Old 08-22-11, 06:22 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a 24" to me. If you need a bike that size, it's not a bad one. For that price, it needs to be pretty nice, though.
FWIW, Schwinn's old 24" road bike rims are really close to the same size as 26" MTB rims. That opens up a range of decent tires and alloy rims.
Old 08-22-11, 06:34 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
If you have a size/height constraint, and you want an old-school Schwinn Varsity, then buy it. But IMHO, that's too much to invest on a Varsity, if you need basic bike transport that fits. I have no Varsity love, they are crude creations, like farm tractors. Very heavy and robust.

Look for smaller sized old style mountain bikes. The ones with a rigid fork, no suspension. A mid-level offering from the late 80 to early 90s won't cost much, and be better equipped. And possibly lighter too.
The mtbs have a low standover height. The trick is to outfit it with smooth treaded narrow road tires.
Then they become rugged, utility bikes. They also come with enough braze-on bosses for water bottles, fenders, racks, etc.

On average, $50 will yield a Tange MTB tubing frame and fork, Shimano 7 speed indexed drivetrain, aluminum rims and quick release hubs. And known-brand cantilever brakes and levers.
Old 08-22-11, 09:33 PM
I_Lind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I love this place!!! THANK YOU all for the feedbacks! I will keep everyone's opinion in mind:]

I'm 5"0, female. So that's why I'm trying to look for a bike that fits me and thought this would do the job. I did a little research on the bike, that's why I was a little skeptical about the steel frame and the heaviness of it and that it would be a pain riding up the hills!!!
Old 08-22-11, 09:40 PM
frenchbikefan

Bikes: Miyata 110, Schwinn super le tour 12.2, Schwinn super sport, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where are you located? I have a couple of small frames that are much lighter than that.
Old 08-22-11, 09:43 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
There are some nice English 3 speeds that came in 24" sizes and small 26", too.
Old 08-22-11, 09:48 PM
I_Lind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frenchbikefan: I'm located in San Diego, California.
Old 08-22-11, 09:49 PM
I_Lind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sailorbenjamin: Going to look into that right about. . . . .now:]
Old 08-22-11, 10:14 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Too bad you're in SD, CA. Along frenchbikefan's line of thought, I just remembered I have several ladies' step-through framed bikes I'm overhauling and selling.
One that I have would've fit perfectly. A late 80s Bridgestone CB-2 City Limit. It was a city/urban conversion offering from Bridgestone of Japan. I believe it was during Grant Petersen's running of Bridgestone's USA operation.
It's basically a 26" wheeled mtb frame with road bike components. In other words, just what I had suggested in the earlier post. But this is done by the factory.

Try a search for a Bridgestone City Limit in CB-1 or CB-2 models. Also do a search for the more sought after Bridgestone XO-1 or 2. The XO line was a 'crossover' hybrid. More higher level components. A great urban utility bike.