Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What has cycling done for me (you)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 03:33 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

while i've ridden bikes all my life i'm new to the road cycling sport / hobby. what is has done for me in this short time is to bring my brother an i closer, we were never really close at all but now that he got me into road cycling we have been hanging out and riding together, today we just hung out and went to some local shops and just talked about everything in general. the weather here is real bad so that's about all we could do. but it was a really nice day and i'm looking forward to the next time we can ride.
so apart from the heath fitness stuff what has it done for you?
rob
Old 08-13-16, 03:39 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 625 Posts
Met some very neat people. Paid to tour across The USA when I was 67 y/o

https://www.bikeforums.net/hosted-tra...e-ends-la.html

Not so much fun crashing in Jan 2012 w brain, eye damage and surgery's to correct both areas.

Old 08-13-16, 04:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
"...apart from the health fitness stuff what has it done for you?"
Gets me out of the house. I've met some great folks in local casual group rides. That's good for my overall sense of well being. I'm around mostly older sick folks all the time (well, olderer and sickerer than myself), so it's good to get another perspective. And not everything revolves around cycling. In some cases it's just a good way to meet folks and discover other common interests.
Old 08-13-16, 05:21 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Don't discount the "health fitness stuff". I've lost 20 pounds after a weight gain of 30 pounds over three years ago. I'm still hoping to lose 10 more pounds by years end. Now I feel better and look better. I may not live longer but I'm definitely living better, which in turn allows me to enjoy my family so much more.
Beyond health and fitness? (not much) But to me that's everything.
Old 08-13-16, 06:25 PM
up on two

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride Mtb's and that has opened up a whole new world for me, introduced me to a new set of close friends and keeps me active and in shape.
Old 08-13-16, 06:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Probably a longer story than you want to hear but bicycling has pulled our whole family together and made our whole life simply wonderful.
Old 08-13-16, 08:05 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
In college, a small group of friends hung out and rode together. My future wife joined us. We've been riding together for thirty-three years now.
Old 08-13-16, 08:20 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I have a “demon” of Depression hounding and oppressing me. I can out run him on my Bicycle; takes about 45 minutes.

Then it take 2 days or so for him to catch up.

The more I ride, the better I do!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 08-14-16, 01:55 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The benefits are too many to name, really. My primary goal is fitness. There are some pretty obese people in my family, and it's rather tragic that they can't seem to help themselves.

It also has cost a small fortune ... But so worth it.
Old 08-14-16, 07:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Apart from health and fitness I have the joy of summer like in the days of my teens when owning my first 10-speed (Motobecane Mirage). The freedom of riding town to town and seeing new sights was such a thrill. The only real difference is being able to ride on bikes I only dreamed of owning back then. I still get a bit loopy, giddy riding the '77 Colnago Super.

Oh and I still live in the area I grew up in.
Old 08-14-16, 07:21 AM
Jlkonn

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Golden Retriever Sadie passed away 2 months ago. The sadness I felt was overwhelming. 17 days ago I bought a bike and have ridden the O&E towpaths everyday. Now up to 15 miles a day. The sadness is still with me but the bike has allowed me to deal with it.
I owe this bike so much.
JLK
Old 08-14-16, 07:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I had to ride my bikes to school when I was young. Then work and getting married pretty much got in the way for a few years. However when my sons got old enough to ride, I got back into cycling and have been doing so ever since. I am now nearly 78 and ride about 30 miles every other day. I just went to my 60th HS class reunion. There was no doubt that I was in far better shape than anyone there. I consider my bent and trike to be my fountain of youth machines. Right now there seems to be no reason that I should not be riding well into my 80s.
Old 08-14-16, 08:20 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
After a lifetime of being a football and baseball player through college, it allows me to be an athlete again. It has also caused me to learn more about my body including diet and activity and how those things contribute to my life.
Old 08-14-16, 08:51 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I ust went to my 60th HS class reunion. There was no doubt that I was in far better shape than anyone there. I consider my bent and trike to be my fountain of youth machines. Right now there seems to be no reason that I should not be riding well into my 80s.
That is really great. I see a lot of the horrible side of aging in my job, I often have to go to nursing homes and hospitals. Nursing homes are a horrible fate. You should be commended for your achievement and your attitude.

If I make it to a good age and am still riding, I honestly would choose to end up going out on my bike in an accident than languish in miserable conditions suffering. Maybe that is over the top, but it's honest.
Old 08-14-16, 01:11 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
That is really great. I see a lot of the horrible side of aging in my job, I often have to go to nursing homes and hospitals. Nursing homes are a horrible fate. You should be commended for your achievement and your attitude.

If I make it to a good age and am still riding, I honestly would choose to end up going out on my bike in an accident than languish in miserable conditions suffering. Maybe that is over the top, but it's honest.
I fully subscribe to the saying-------------if you set you rust. It happened to my father.
Old 08-14-16, 08:21 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214
while i've ridden bikes all my life i'm new to the road cycling sport / hobby. what is has done for me in this short time is to bring my brother an i closer, we were never really close at all but now that he got me into road cycling we have been hanging out and riding together, today we just hung out and went to some local shops and just talked about everything in general. the weather here is real bad so that's about all we could do. but it was a really nice day and i'm looking forward to the next time we can ride.
so apart from the heath fitness stuff what has it done for you?
rob
Wow. A lot really. On the bike:

1. I've seen the world. You know how it is. In a car, you zoom by everything in your environmentally controlled shell, isolated from the world around you. On a bike, you're immersed in the world while you're going through it. You smell the world, you feel the wind, the temperature. If it's a place you go often, you get to know it intimately. If it's a place you go to but once, you remember all kinds of details about it you'd never remember if you were in a car. By now, I've ridden enough miles to make it to the moon, and my life has been enriched for every one of them.

2. I live in the South Bay of Los Angeles. Traffic ... how do I say it ... it SUCKS. And it's getting suckier every year. I look out my office window and see all the resigned frustration, hear all the accidents and near accidents, and I'm glad I have nothing to do with them. Instead, I ride the 17 miles from my home to the office on a dedicated bike path on the beach. I've seen amazing sunrises and sunsets. I've smelled coffee and bacon rolling by restaurants about to open. I've chatted with the homeless. I've made new friends. And I've even talked my daughter into it (her work commute is right on the way of mine), so I get father-daughter time.

3. Probably most of all, I've made a lot of friends. A life well lived is a life of adventures. On those adventures, you meet others, similarly inclined. And you strike up some amazing friendships. We ride together, we chat about our fears, challenges and triumphs. We help each other out. These aren't just acquaintances ... they are people you've suffered with, and as everyone knows, the best friendships are forged in fire. One of the greatest pleasures is watching others get assimilated into the fellowship.

So anyway ... the answer for me is "a lot." I guess that's because I didn't start cycling for my health. lol

Old 08-15-16, 05:53 AM
miya310

Bikes: 2016 Kona Jake, !985 Miyata ridge runner

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cycling makes me forget my age. Talking with friends my age, the talk is all about getting old and how things used to be. Get on a bike and you'll feel young again.
Old 08-15-16, 06:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by miya310
Cycling makes me forget my age. Talking with friends my age, the talk is all about getting old and how things used to be. Get on a bike and you'll feel young again.
You are most certainly right about friends our age. The talk is pretty much centered around aches and pains, drugs, doctors, operations, and what they cant do anymore. I try to steer the conversation back to things to do, my cycling etc. But soon the conversation goes back to old age ills.
Old 08-15-16, 07:21 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Good thread. For me, cycling has taken me from borderline high blood pressure and my Dr suggesting medication (for the rest of my life) to 118/72 for almost a year now. So, thankfully, there is no more talk about medication to treat hypertension. Of course, getting a divorce could have something to do with that too, lol
Old 08-15-16, 07:24 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
A few years ago, there was a big ice storm. Traffic was immobilized and thousands of people were trapped in their cars overnight. I rode happily home from work on my studded tires.
Old 08-15-16, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,727 Times in 7,391 Posts
Given me awesome looking legs.
Old 08-15-16, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not Diabetic type 2 like My father was.

I toured Europe several times on my Bicycle and met people there & saw Stuff.
Old 08-15-16, 12:56 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Improved my marriage. Because I come home in a better attitude, my wife is happier. Because she is happier, we are happier.

It doesn't take much (for me). Maybe one day I will do something dramatic, but for today even 5-10 miles is showing big benefits.
Old 08-15-16, 03:56 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
At 57 I decided I wanted a 30 year old body,,,

And I have It, feels like It anyways

Dropped almost 30 pounds, I am at my perfect weight now.
No medications,,was on two and being told I needed a third,, I am DRUG FREE !

Got a flat stomach,
I sleep like a baby,
Other things work as they did 27 years ago,,,,nuff said ~
I can pedal my **s off and really love to get in the hurt locker on my mtb and ride like a crazy teenager.

Am adding a gravel grinder to my stable. N+1 must end at 4...
Old 08-15-16, 05:45 PM
Slowhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlkonn
Our Golden Retriever Sadie passed away 2 months ago. The sadness I felt was overwhelming. 17 days ago I bought a bike and have ridden the O&E towpaths everyday. Now up to 15 miles a day. The sadness is still with me but the bike has allowed me to deal with it.
I owe this bike so much.
JLK
My condolences, losing a pet is a tough time.

What has cycling done for me ? I have more patience now that I started cycling regularly again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.