Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Floor pumps?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Floor pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 06:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
As a general rule, can high pressure pumps fill big volume low pressure tires just with more strokes than high volume pumps, but high volume pumps have a hard time getting the pressure in high pressure skinny tires?
Yes, that's correct. The only problem with using a high pressure pump to fill large, low pressure tires, other than the large number of strokes, is the pressure gauge won't have the fine graduations to set low pressure accurately and you will be working at the low end of its scale where accuracy is more suspect. This will be a particular problem with "Fat Bike" tires often inflated to low double digit or even single digit pressures.

As you noted, a high volume pump will struggle to reach high pressure and you may not weigh enough to depress the plunger as the pressure gets high enough.
Old 05-10-17, 07:58 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Lezyne Sport Floor Drive or Joe Blow Sport are both okay floor pumps. I'm not a fan of either pump's chuck. I use a Silca presta chuck on my Lezyne rather than their hokey screw on chuck. It looks like the new (to me) ABS2 works well on presta but seems fiddly on schrader.

The chuck on the Joe Blow is a bit confusing because I can never figure out which way the lever on that kind of chuck should be pushed. It always seems backward to me.

-snip-
I actually have experience with both of these pumps. Personally, I think they lezyne will last longer. Park pumps in our shop last ~a year of people wailing on them and using them incorrectly. You would think that it'd be the head that would die, but in our case, it's always the (non rebuildable) parts of the pump shaft itself that break.

The Joe Blow (about the same price as the park pumps) seems to be a hell of a lot nicer construction. It's mostly metal, which is nice, compared to the mostly plastic park pump. And the head isn't too bad. For ours you just lift the lever in the opposite direction of the valve (so the lever always gets lifted AWAY from the tire.) I found it more annoying to use than the park head, but with better results.

The lezyne, on the other hand, is built very well. All metal (except the fancy "wooden" handle). I actually like the chuck on the lezyne. It took me about a week to get used to it. It's... fancy and you actually need to learn how to do it. There are different operating instructions for both presta and schrader. (Presta you pull the "ring" back, then push it on the valve, the push the ring forward, then screw it a turn or so. Super secure attachment. Then just pull the ring back at the same time as you're pulling the chuck off to remove it. For schrader, you push the ring forward and basically just screw it on.)

With that said, I used a wal-mart schwinn branded pump for 3 years before it "failed" on me.
Old 05-10-17, 10:19 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
The Joe Blow (about the same price as the park pumps) seems to be a hell of a lot nicer construction.
I had my Joe Blow Sprint for close to 10 years - it was the check valve that failed and I couldn't fix it. I would've bought another one with no regrets, but the LBS didn't carry them.

Old 05-10-17, 05:24 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rennkompressor

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
SKS Rennkompressor.

John
Originally Posted by mishathepenguin
I'm surprised I've only seen it mentioned once, but I'm not surprised it has been mentioned.

SKS Rennkompressor. I never had a good floor pump until I bought this one almost ten years ago, and I really haven't given it much thought since. I figure if it works so well I forget about it, it's the most I can ask of a bike pump.

Steel, wood, high pressure. German. $60.
I have two. Xlnt pumps!
Old 05-11-17, 04:05 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
What are some top performers for $100 or less? Needs to fit both P and S valves and get high enough psi for road bike tires. Thanks.
Silca with a $1 Schraeder adapter every bike shop sells.