Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1x12 the new gearing for Road Racing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1x12 the new gearing for Road Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 09:48 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I think what @Psimet2001 was saying, sort of, was that there was no strong outcry for discs, from Anybody on a road bike, pretty much ever.
Yeah, the thing is though... that’s not how development of consumer products happens. To paraphrase Henry Ford, “If I’d asked people what they wanted, they would’ve asked for a faster horse.”

Forget disc brakes for a second. This idea that normally there’s an “outcry” from the market for a technology or product category is a fallacy. People invent new widgets and then try to sell them. That’s the game. Sometimes of course people “get it” right away and a new product becomes immensely popular. Sometimes it’s a dud and it just bombs. And often it’s somewhere in-between.

Obviously not everyone is sold on 1x or disc brakes. But these technologies aren’t bombing in the marketplace, either. There are teething problems, some of which will probably be resolved and some of which might not. If rim brake road bikes disappear, we’ll get along ok. The problems in the bike industry are a lot bigger than the particular technologies.

1x road, meantime, is nowhere near taking over. SRAM is pushing the tech as hard as they do because they’re true believers. And they’re steadily making it more appealing, but you’re not going to have any problems finding new bikes for 2x in the next few years. Long term, it’s not a bad bet. Think of it this way: 2x and 3x coexisted for decades as very popular options for different applications, with some overlap. As cog counts and capacities have expanded, 3x has become increasingly niche. It’s perfectly reasonable to look at that history and think the same progression could happen with 1x and 2x over time. I don’t know if that’s going to happen, but I can tell you that in my first few years on BF, probably the most recurring thread topic was people asking about converting their triple road bike to a compact double. You don’t see as many people asking about 2x-1x conversions yet. But you don’t see none, either.
Old 03-05-19, 10:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I always find these threads fascinating. They're like the cycling equivalent of the guy who said people would never be able to travel by train, because at those speeds they would suffocate.

I watch the Highland street race of the Redlands Bicycle Classic each year (it's in my neighborhood) where the men's race goes up Baseline Hill twenty times-- the steepest section picks up 165ft of elevation in 0.3 miles. They take it in the big ring @ 25mph.

Of the 22 gears available to those guys, I don't think they use more than 8-9 of them during the whole race. One-by doesn't seem so ridiculous to me.
Old 03-05-19, 11:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I always find these threads fascinating. They're like the cycling equivalent of the guy who said people would never be able to travel by train, because at those speeds they would suffocate.

I watch the Highland street race of the Redlands Bicycle Classic each year (it's in my neighborhood) where the men's race goes up Baseline Hill twenty times-- the steepest section picks up 165ft of elevation in 0.3 miles. They take it in the big ring @ 25mph.

Of the 22 gears available to those guys, I don't think they use more than 8-9 of them during the whole race. One-by doesn't seem so ridiculous to me.

So CAT1/Professionals can climb a wall in the big ring.
Old 03-05-19, 11:03 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
1x12 might work for the right person in the right event. There is a weekly crit. at a local park and several riders have a 1x12 setup. From what I have read the Aqua Blue Sport Team was not happy. When I saw the team racing on courses with longer climbs, they never seemed comfortable.
Old 03-05-19, 11:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by noodle soup

So CAT1/Professionals can climb a wall in the big ring.
Not just once, but twenty times in two hours. Francisco Mancebo set the KOM last year @ 26mph... sprinting for the finish line on lap 20.

I just don't think that the way races tend to run-- which is far more about team strategy and pace-setting-- that losing four or five usable gears will make much difference to guys who can push out +700W two plus hours into a road race.
Old 03-05-19, 11:33 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by colnago62
1x12 might work for the right person in the right event. There is a weekly crit. at a local park and several riders have a 1x12 setup. From what I have read the Aqua Blue Sport Team was not happy. When I saw the team racing on courses with longer climbs, they never seemed comfortable.
+1

For me, a 50t big ring and a 12-25 cassette works great for 99.9% of the time.

Even in Phoenix, my gearing doesn't work for the average roadie.
Old 03-05-19, 11:39 PM
noodle soup

Not just once, but twenty times in two hours. Francisco Mancebo set the KOM last year @ 26mph... sprinting for the finish line on lap 20.

I just don't think that the way races tend to run-- which is far more about team strategy and pace-setting-- that losing four or five usable gears will make much difference to guys who can push out +700W two plus hours into a road race.
How does that apply to the average roadie? or even the average CAT 3?

I'd guess that you are a fairly fit/strong cyclist. Try that route a few times(with the gears the pros used), and get back to me.
Old 03-05-19, 11:45 PM
noodle soup

1x road is getting pushed by SRAM.

Figure it out sheeple.

Old 03-05-19, 11:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Well you see now, you've just gone completely off the rails-- the thread started by talking about a professional cyclist Mads Pedersen's 1x12 SRAM AXS Trek. He is a professional, and this thread is about professionals opting for 1X drivetrains.

What Joe Cyclist chooses doesn't matter inside the confines of this thread. Apropos of nothing, I have 1X on one bike and 2X on another. I can't go up that hill at anywhere near 25mph, regardless of the drivetrain. I did it at 12mph once.
Old 03-05-19, 11:50 PM
noodle soup

Well you see now, you've just gone completely off the rails.
Move this thread.

It's irrelevant to the mere roadies of this forum
Old 03-05-19, 11:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

You can read, right? It's right there in the title, and the article linked in the OP.

The mere roadies of this forum buy only the newest and shiniest-- so maybe if they see the pros doing it, they'll start pulling off their FDs.
Old 03-06-19, 12:07 AM
noodle soup

You can read, right? It's right there in the title, and the article linked in the OP.

The mere roadies of this forum buy only the newest and shiniest-- so maybe if they see the pros doing it, they'll start pulling off their FDs.
Do you really wan't to go down this road?

Only SRAM users are thinking about pulling off their front derailleur.

The SRAM Pros aren't begging for 1x. They just want their drivetrain to work right.
Old 03-06-19, 12:36 AM
colnago62

I think Trek is dictating what equipment that the rider’s use. Even though Jenns says they have a choice, I can’t believe a whole team all agreed to ride disc brakes. Too much controversy with it to find 27 plus riders to all agree to ride the same setup. I don’t think Omloop is a good test for the viability of 1x12 in the pro peloton since they to the Muur out at the end.
Old 03-06-19, 12:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Yeah, the thing is though... that’s not how development of consumer products happens. To paraphrase Henry Ford, “If I’d asked people what they wanted, they would’ve asked for a faster horse.”
I disagree. There are many ways new products are introduced .... and when discs were New, back in the 1980s .... as far as i know people tried to take motorcycle tech and convert it to MTBs even sooner than that, and anyone who rides (or has ridden) off-road much knows that braking and gearing there have Zero to do with road-riding.

Other ideas .... like adding more gears to the cassette. People definitely wanted more gear chopices .... I know I did. I'd bet racers, who were driving the "10-speed racer" sort of bike which was taking over the consumer market in the late 1960s and early '70s, Definitely wanted more cogs. it wasn't manufacturers thinking ... "Hmmm ... what can we sell these suckers." it was riders who saw that 7 or so options was better than three or five, and that 9 (with a 12-speed) would be better still. That was not foisted on road-riders, it was very much wanted by road riders.

Forget disc brakes for a second. This idea that normally there’s an “outcry” from the market for a technology or product category is a fallacy. People invent new widgets and then try to sell them. That’s the game. Sometimes of course people “get it” right away and a new product becomes immensely popular. Sometimes it’s a dud and it just bombs. And often it’s somewhere in-between.
Again, those "widgets" were not developed for road bikes--or for bikes at all. But off-road riders saw the advantages of better braking and tried to copy moto designs. Road-racers wanted better brakes too---but weight was a far bigger issue, and the simplicity of a cable-actuated rim brake was too good to pass up. So, caliper geometry and pad materials were improved---and offered plenty of stopping power, even for racers on mountain descents. (As you will note, even in the pro peloton, the fast guys use rim brakes on long climes----and the subsequent descents.)

Nobody was asking for more braking power because any rider with properly adjusted brakes could lock the rear wheel easily with decent rim brakes---who needed more power than the tires could manage?

Obviously not everyone is sold on 1x or disc brakes. But these technologies aren’t bombing in the marketplace, either.
Possibly road discs aren't "bombing" because so many manufacturers aren't offering options---you want our bike, you buy our disc brakes. Not exactly an endorsement.

As for 1x---the few riders I have ridden with using 1x were not really happy because of the compromises needed. But with SRAM's new hyper-priced wider-range system finally trickles down .... who knows? But all the peoplpe I know who have tried it tried it on gravel bikes they took on a road ride---and regretted it. And all of them had multiple bikes.

The whole point here is that bike manufacturers are Always looking for some kind of bell or whistle to encourage consumers to lay out cash for This Year's model. That is why cogs were added in back one at a time---everyone knew that more was better, but none of the big manufacturers were going to blow their wad all in one year, going from five to 11. The metallurgy was there; the understanding of physics was there. it'snot like Shimano couldn't have jumped from 8 cogs to 11 in one season ... but the marketing department wouldn't let it happen.

Road discs are a similar thing. The reason there is a push to get them onto race bikes is because some (and a rather wealthy portion) off the customer base likes to ride what the pros ride. Which is hilarious, because they make the most sense for the casual rider, not the racer. But again .... marketing.

Same with 1x.

All this stuff started off-road where it does actually make sense. Anyone with a bunch of off-road miles knows that a lot of shifting is na issue sometimes (too many other things to be doing) and close ratios are not important---generally the terrain changes so dramatically a rider will shift several gears at a time, except on long climbs---but a long climb off-road (at the pro level) is nothing like a long climb on a pro road stage. 1x works well in cyclocross and MTB because the bigger gaps aren't an issue--and also because top speed is not so much an issue.

Bringing it over to road bikes wasn't done because it offers advantages---but because it was a cool marketing hook.

SRAM is the only company to really take 1x for road seriously---and there system is untested. No one knows how a 10T cog will work on the road. off-road 10t aren't rare but they aren't used for extended top-speed runs they way they might be on a road stage. I have addressed other gearing issues above.

Possibly SRAM might tweak its package to make it more useful---who knows? Again... no one was looking for Both higher And lower gearing .... and the greater number of single-tooth steps is a canard. After a certain point, single-tooth steps are Less efficient because the change in ratio is too small to matter and riders will jump two cogs anyway. We shall see how all that plays out.

But again ... Marketing to make more money, not a quest to build a better bicycle, drives a large part of the cycling industry. The one place where :a better bicycle" is Absolutely the goal is the racing arena---where 1x and and disc brakes Are bombing.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-06-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 02:54 AM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Just because disc brakes or 1x drivetrains may not be ideal for racing doesn't mean they are not good (and possibly the best) for many recreational cyclists.
I have been riding 1x with a 46T chainring and 11-32. Sure low gear isn't suitable for mountain climbing but is fine for the terrain in my area.
It suits my purposes and I am also ok with the step size between gears.
Old 03-06-19, 07:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
For the average rider, 1X makes a lot of sense. Not that bicycle drive trains are complex, but it reduces the complexity and removes a few adjustment/maintenance points. The average rider could do quite well with a 34 or 36 x 11/42 just about anywhere they ride. They'd spin out on descents, but the average rider coasts downhill anyway, checking their speed with their brakes. If those brakes were rim brakes, the rider would be better off. Less weight, less complex, fewer adjustment points.

I am surprised that 1X has been this slow to make it to market. Of course those 1X systems will have way bigger front sprockets than the average rider will ever need, but the average rider will benefit from the simplicity. A 34 X 11/42 will allow the average rider to climb most hills or mountains and will give that rider a flat land speed of 24 MPH at 90 RPM. It's hard for me to see where that is inadequate.

Racing? I don't know. The average rider doesn't race.
Old 03-06-19, 09:38 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For the average rider, 1X makes a lot of sense. Not that bicycle drive trains are complex, but it reduces the complexity and removes a few adjustment/maintenance points. The average rider could do quite well with a 34 or 36 x 11/42 just about anywhere they ride. They'd spin out on descents, but the average rider coasts downhill anyway, checking their speed with their brakes. If those brakes were rim brakes, the rider would be better off. Less weight, less complex, fewer adjustment points.

I am surprised that 1X has been this slow to make it to market. Of course those 1X systems will have way bigger front sprockets than the average rider will ever need, but the average rider will benefit from the simplicity. A 34 X 11/42 will allow the average rider to climb most hills or mountains and will give that rider a flat land speed of 24 MPH at 90 RPM. It's hard for me to see where that is inadequate.

It does make sense for the person commuting or who does social or even semi spirited rides. The only experience I know of in the ranks of professional racers was a disaster. When the owner calls out on social media how unhappy he is with the equipment, there really must have been some serious issues. I was watching the Tour of the Alps or Switzerland, I can’t remember, and the Aqua Blue riders did not look smooth or comfortable on their bikes in the climbs. I also saw them in another, less hilly race and they looked fine. I don’t believe the issue was one of fitness. Of course never say never, but Given the disaster of that experiment, I don’t see any professional teams trying that again in the near future.
Old 03-06-19, 09:59 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

The now defunct team Aqua Blue tried it and was very unhappy.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...problem-383170
This.

I just don't understand the point to having less gears (12 as opposed to 22 or 24) for some marginal aerodynamic gain or weight savings (which are not needed because the bike are too light for the UCI weight limit as it is).
Old 03-06-19, 10:01 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Just remember that "road" doesn't exist anymore. It's all called "adventure". 1x is all about "Adventure".

Old 03-06-19, 10:04 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

Sure, my wife's hybrid bike that cost $250 has a fancy dandy "1X" chainring in the front, because she only has 1x6 gears! This is not a new thing, many hybrid and city bikes only have 1 chainring.

I'll keep my two front chainrings on my fancy road bike, thanks very much. I like the wider / better gear selection. Maintenance is a non-issue once it is set up properly. And 1X potentially introduces more problems, more finicky to get the initial set-up just right, because of the 12 sprockets being closer together than 11, and cross chaining.

This is a solution in search of a problem.
Old 03-06-19, 10:18 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
You have to give Shimano credit here: by the early 90s, they had their act together; the shifting is flawless. Better than my two 11-speed STI systems.
I've been saying this for years, and always have people fighting me on this. "Crisp shifts" have been the norm for more than 20 years now, and the incremental "improvements" of newer groupsets are minuscule in terms of shift quality. That's why they keep adding rear cogs, re-routing cables under bar tape, and adding things like 1x and disc brakes. They are out of things to "upgrade" without inventing them.

Someone always has some anecdotal example of a Dura Ace 7800 bike that shifts terribly, and I'll just counter that it wasn't set up correctly. Maybe it's derailleur adjustment, frame alignment, or a bent hanger. I'm a former mechanic, and I can get a 20 year old bike to shift just as smoothly as a new one.

I will say that the newer cranksets with Hollowtech II are stiffer and lighter than the old square taper cranks. And they seem less likely to loosen up over time.
Old 03-06-19, 10:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
... in fact, they want them so bad they shouted so loud moderators had to close that thread.
Incorrect. There were deleted posts wherein one user made abusive comments towards another user and they had no relation to the disc vs rim debate. The thread was actually pretty civil despite the fact that it was a conversation that wasn't started in earnest.
Old 03-06-19, 10:31 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Incorrect. There were deleted posts wherein one user made abusive comments towards another user and they had no relation to the disc vs rim debate. The thread was actually pretty civil despite the fact that it was a conversation that wasn't started in earnest.
I missed the deleted posts; I guess that explains it -- didn't seem over the top to me, but I'm not sure of all the norms here.

I've got a point of view on the matter of rim brakes vs discs on a road bike, but I don't think that disqualifies me from starting an earnest conversation on the matter. Opposing viewpoints can all be earnest. They can also be flip, passive aggressive, triggered, etc. All I did was ask a question and discuss the merits as I saw them.
Old 03-06-19, 10:56 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I've been saying this for years, and always have people fighting me on this. "Crisp shifts" have been the norm for more than 20 years now, and the incremental "improvements" of newer groupsets are minuscule in terms of shift quality. That's why they keep adding rear cogs, re-routing cables under bar tape, and adding things like 1x and disc brakes. They are out of things to "upgrade" without inventing them.

Someone always has some anecdotal example of a Dura Ace 7800 bike that shifts terribly, and I'll just counter that it wasn't set up correctly. Maybe it's derailleur adjustment, frame alignment, or a bent hanger. I'm a former mechanic, and I can get a 20 year old bike to shift just as smoothly as a new one.

I will say that the newer cranksets with Hollowtech II are stiffer and lighter than the old square taper cranks. And they seem less likely to loosen up over time.
Progess is hard. It's like the quote, "the arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice." Usually, some innovation comes along and sacrifices some of the good of what it replaced. Take brake/shift levers. They consolidated the controls, but it meant more cable and housing length and some loss of shifting precision as well as the ability to finely trim the front derailleur. It took time to get the shifting as precise as downtube levers. The local pinnacle was 7800, then another innovation came along -- hidden shift cables -- and it wasn't until 9000 that the shifting was arguably as good or better.

Aero frames are another example. They speed up a bike through the wind, but manufacturers are still working on bringing them back to the UCI weight limit.

To me, all this is fine -- it's like timing stoplights. Buy a bike right before the next innovative wave, then wait until technological knowhow has brought the innovation up to the old norms. Seems like it's about a 5-8 year cycle. Being behind a half generation or a generation is like having your wallet ride in the draft.

Maybe it'll take a few years to get 1x road drive trains dialed in. Maybe people won't accept them until they're 1x14. Road disc calipers will be inside an aero chainstay. Your heartrate monitor will be inside your brake hood. Socks will be the next powermeter location. Fecal implants will be the next beet juice. On and on, and the 19xxs Tour racers will still be faster.

A road bike is a hard thing to improve. They started to do their job beautifully a long time ago.
Old 03-06-19, 11:19 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
1x makes a lot a of sense in certain applications
CX, Crit, TT
Horses for courses

Been riding my CX bike all winter on the road, this is not ideal due to chain line & clutch RD, It's fun to ride, just slower
On flat courses with fewer gear changes, 1x could be very efficient more so than a double i.e Crits or TT's

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 03-06-19 at 11:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.