Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sora compatible with Tiagra

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 07:53 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Just picked up a '88' Centurion Accordo that has a replacement drivetrain. It has Sora Flight Deck 8spd triple STI shifters. The rear derailleur is a Tiagra medium cage that says 9speed on the jockey wheel arm. Shifting is a little sticky. Doesn't seem to me that the Tiagra is compatible with this. I vaguely recall that 7 Spd road rear derailleurs should work on 8 Spd.
Old 07-08-19, 08:49 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Should work fine.
Old 07-08-19, 09:32 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Any issues with this combination of parts is likely the result of a less than smooth cable path to the rear derailer.

Often as not, the rear-most loop of cable housing, together with the cable guide at the bottom bracket, are where big improvements can be found when the cable is once again sliding against clean polymer surfaces with proper cable-specific lubricant on the cable.
There is also the common issue of one or more strands of the cable itself having broken, at which point the cable becomes less smooth and more springy as well, neither of which contributes to crisp shifting response back at the rear derailer.

Be sure also that the cable pinch bolt and washer are directing the cable through the groove in the arm that the bolt threads into (one more thing that can also greatly affect indexing accuracy).
Old 07-08-19, 10:04 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have a 2002 Specialized Allez triple that came new with Sora 8 speed shifters and a 9 speed Tiagra RD, with 8 speed cassette. It works fine. It also had a Sora front derailleur which broke, replaced by an Ultegra.

FWIW I also used Sora 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed cassette on another bike. It worked fine, just didn't have a gear for the last click.
Old 07-08-19, 10:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
Just picked up a '88' Centurion Accordo that has a replacement drivetrain. It has Sora Flight Deck 8spd triple STI shifters. The rear derailleur is a Tiagra medium cage that says 9speed on the jockey wheel arm. Shifting is a little sticky. Doesn't seem to me that the Tiagra is compatible with this. I vaguely recall that 7 Spd road rear derailleurs should work on 8 Spd.
The derailleur is 100% compatible with those shifters.

I would look for other issues like cable friction, worn housing, or gummed-up shifters.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-08-19, 11:53 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
The next suspect is the chain. It appears the upgrade didn't include the chain. The chain looks like the OE 6 speed. I'll check further tomorrow.
Old 07-10-19, 09:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
The next suspect is the chain. It appears the upgrade didn't include the chain. The chain looks like the OE 6 speed. I'll check further tomorrow.
That would be very, very odd. An OE 6 speed chain might even be a bit too wide to fit through a 7-speed rear derailleur. If you replace the chain, you might need to replace the cassette.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-10-19, 11:19 PM
merlinrkd

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
That would be very, very odd. An OE 6 speed chain might even be a bit too wide to fit through a 7-speed rear derailleur. If you replace the chain, you might need to replace the cassette.
I think I'll just put it back to a 6 speed with DT shifters