Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Old 27" wheelset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Old 27" wheelset

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 06:59 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
New Old 27" wheelset

Last night I answered an ad for some old bike parts, the guy said he had taken a bunch of new bikes apart to ebay them 20 years ago and also bought out all the wheels and old parts from a few dealers in his area.

Most wheels are pretty obvious what they came from, lots of chrome steel Ridida rims with Normandy hubs likely from a Peugeot U08 or similar, several new Schwinn S6 wheels off a Varsity or Continental, three sets of Araya aluminum rims with Shimano large flange hubs, a few of the same rims with Normandy hubs, several pair of Weinmann Concave rims with Normandy hubs, and a host of singles, mostly fronts. Then there's two pair of these, Rigida 1320 rims, with Miche and/or Campy low flange hubs with 14ga spokes, and Hutchinson skinwall tires.
There's a handfull of 700c wheels and complete sets, all new or new take offs. there's Weinmann Concave rims with L/F Normanday hubs, a few with Hi Flange Normandy hubs, a few Mavic Open Pro wheels, a few Mavic Super Champion wheels in 27" and a couple sets of various Araya steel rims with Shimano or Sanshin hubs.
These caught my eye because they're super smooth and look ready to go.

Any idea what these may have been taken off of?

Of the top of my head, the only two bikes I remember with these rims were a few Motobecane models and some Trek bikes in the 70's. There are five all together, three fronts and two rear rims. They are either new old stock or new take offs, the vintage tires still have flashing and sprew on the tread .

Old 07-14-20, 07:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I don't recall any bikes with OEM Miche hubs. Perhaps these were built for a customer who never showed up to claim them?
Old 07-14-20, 07:57 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
The 1985 Cannondale SR300 had Miche hubs and Rigida 1320 rims.
1986 SR400 also had this hub/rim combo.
Old 07-14-20, 08:45 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by trailmix
The 1985 Cannondale SR300 had Miche hubs and Rigida 1320 rims.
1986 SR400 also had this hub/rim combo.
Weren't both of those models built with 700c wheels? These are 27".

There are some 700c wheelsets but those are all Weinmann Concave and appear to be for older Raleigh bikes, a few L/F, and a few H/F hubs.
This wasn't a dealer, it was some old guy and a house packed with disassembled bikes and parts.
I don't think he was doing any building, just tearing them apart to sell the parts. My take on it was he gave up trying to ship the bigger parts like wheels and frames and was listing those on FB and Cl. There were a few frames but nothing good, but there were lots of older wheels.
Likes For 27inch:
Old 07-14-20, 11:09 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 27inch
Weren't both of those models built with 700c wheels? These are 27".

There are some 700c wheelsets but those are all Weinmann Concave and appear to be for older Raleigh bikes, a few L/F, and a few H/F hubs.
This wasn't a dealer, it was some old guy and a house packed with disassembled bikes and parts.
I don't think he was doing any building, just tearing them apart to sell the parts. My take on it was he gave up trying to ship the bigger parts like wheels and frames and was listing those on FB and Cl. There were a few frames but nothing good, but there were lots of older wheels.
Oh yes, you are right, the Cannondales were 700c.
Old 07-14-20, 05:42 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I forget if they came off my Ross Gran Tour or my Cannondale ST400 but I have a set of 27" 1320s with low flange hubs, didn't check the hub brand or if I did I forget what it is.
Never figured out what 1320s are doing on a so-called touring bike. I always upgrade to something beefier for my commuters.
Old 07-14-20, 05:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Motobecane came to mind for me as well. Gipiemme and Campy hubs for awhile.
Old 07-14-20, 07:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
I have Miche hubs on my '82 Miyata 912. It was a custom build. Pretty neat that the drive side bearing race in the rear hub revolves on its own bearings. I've seen headsets that do that.
Old 07-14-20, 10:11 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Motobecane comes to mind but most Moto wheels were high flange back then. Trek used that rim in the early years, and it wasn't unheard of for any manufacturer to substitute the brand of hub for a given model. Parts wholesalers also would offer surplus wheelsets for sale as replacement parts.
Those Miche hubs were almost identical to Campagnolo, the axles and cones were the same as early Record hubs. The talk was that Campy had some models being manufactured by Miche back in the day. They were a excellent quality and very smooth running hubs and those combined with the double wall Rigida 1320 rims should make for an excellent fast wheelset with the right tires. The presence of the oiling hole in those tells me those are on the early side, likely mid to late 70's. Although they still showed up through the 80's from time to time. I think the Rigida rims like those came out around 1976-77 or so Around the time they showed up on various Motobecane models.