Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deore to SLX or XT?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Deore to SLX or XT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 11:43 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Deore to SLX or XT?

Sorry a bit of a story here... I have a Giant Roam 1 that came with a mostly Deore drivetrain 2x10 except some unknown crank that I haven't been able to match the part # on. I didn't like the gearing much so (ok maybe it was a make work project) I got myself a full XT 2x11 drivetrain and WOW what a major upgrade!! My GF has a Trek DS3 that I think has a full 3x9 Acera drive train. After my upgrade I passed my parts to her to try the 2x10 setup but also see what better parts feel like and she likes it much more except she's noticing the same hole in the gear ratios. She's going to give me some $$$ for it, at a very reduced rate. Anyway, I was going to take that cash and put it towards getting a her a nicer setup. I was looking at a 2x11 SLX groupset.

Obviosly it's an upgrade over the mostly Deore and it fixes the gearing issue... well it did for me so I'm assuming it will for her. I'm just a little concerned that I'm cheaping out on getting her an SLX group vs. an XT group. From what I've read SLX is closer to XT than it is Deore so I'm not being a cheap ass right? lol
Old 08-20-20, 11:59 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Honestly most of it works pretty well. I'm a pro mechanic and for my next bike it's getting carbon wheels, top end suspension--and 12 speed SLX. Don't sweat it.

What's her actual issue with the gearing she has now?
Old 08-21-20, 12:09 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
What's her actual issue with the gearing she has now?
The crank is oddly sized, its a 32/44, and the cassette is a 11-42. I think the jump shes noticing is the 20t to 24t cogs. The 11s cassette reduces that by making it a 21t to 24t. Sounds like a miniscule difference but its a difference. I still feel a jump but less so. I spin faster than she does so use lower gears and I like the difference the 11s 11-40 cassette made. Yeah I know first world problems! I like the 28/38 crank much better too.

I was more concerned about quality differences. She rode my bike for a bit and loved the drivetrain, I just want to make sure the SLX isn't going to be too much of a difference to the XT since she knows what it feels like now.
Old 08-21-20, 12:21 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Sorry a bit of a story here... I have a Giant Roam 1 that came with a mostly Deore drivetrain 2x10 except some unknown crank that I haven't been able to match the part # on. I didn't like the gearing much so (ok maybe it was a make work project) I got myself a full XT 2x11 drivetrain and WOW what a major upgrade!! My GF has a Trek DS3 that I think has a full 3x9 Acera drive train. After my upgrade I passed my parts to her to try the 2x10 setup but also see what better parts feel like and she likes it much more except she's noticing the same hole in the gear ratios. She's going to give me some $$$ for it, at a very reduced rate. Anyway, I was going to take that cash and put it towards getting a her a nicer setup. I was looking at a 2x11 SLX groupset.

Obviosly it's an upgrade over the mostly Deore and it fixes the gearing issue... well it did for me so I'm assuming it will for her. I'm just a little concerned that I'm cheaping out on getting her an SLX group vs. an XT group. From what I've read SLX is closer to XT than it is Deore so I'm not being a cheap ass right? lol
SLX is mostly the same as XT but a bit heavier and less nice. I have a bike that came with XT derailleur and SLX trigger. I assume they do this for "bling", but given the choice, I'll use an SLX derailleur with XT trigger mainly because XT triggers allow you to downshift 2 gears at a time while SLX don't.
Old 08-21-20, 02:52 AM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
You realize that if you get her SLX and she doesn't like it, you're going to have to give her your XT, right?

Maybe that's what you should do anyway. Or get her SLX 12 speed.
Old 08-21-20, 10:46 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've had good luck with deore products. You could probably get another deore with different cogs and rings and be just as happy.

But like said above SLX to XT is more weight than performance. From a sheer riding perspective it is somewhat hard to justify the added expense, but certain bikes just want the higher end group. Impressing girlfriends is sometimes worth the cash as well.
Old 08-21-20, 04:38 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So you are swapping out a drivetrain for a cassette gap?

How often do you use the 40t or 42t?

If it really is the 20 to 24 vs 21 to 24, there are other cassettes out there.

Not trying to talk you out of spending money, just wondering.

John