Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Routing hydro brake line inside Roubaix frame

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-27-20, 12:57 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Working on routing rear brake line inside 2019 Specialized Roubaix frame. The frame has a BB sleeve bonded into it and the line runs on top of the sleeve and into the non drive side chain stay. There is a rubber foam tube that goes over the brake line so that it does not rattle against the frame at the BB and in the chain stay. I have pulled the brake line up from the bottom routing it over the BB sleeve and the next challenge is to slide the tube onto the line using soap solution.

One hour frame swaps are a thing of the past.
Old 08-27-20, 01:04 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Well that certainly sounds fun. At least with a hydraulic line you shouldn't need to ever replace it for maintenance.
Old 08-27-20, 01:37 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Yeah, internal routing can be lots of fun, whether it's cables or hoses. My least favorite is the under the chainstay brakes on tri bikes with internal routing. Those are a real time sucker.
Old 08-29-20, 05:25 PM
TiHabanero

I found out just how forgiving the Shimano hydro hose is. The access hole in the BB shell is about 1.5 x .75 inch in size. Had to fold the line back on itself with the foam sleeve on it to get it routed above the BB sleeve. Line did not kink! Honestly, not sure why Specialized designed the routing over the sleeve instead of under it, unless of course, it was not designed by Specialized, but the manufacturer of the frame. Naw, I have seen Specialized do stupid stuff before, so I am sure they designed this as well.
Old 08-29-20, 07:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I found out just how forgiving the Shimano hydro hose is. The access hole in the BB shell is about 1.5 x .75 inch in size. Had to fold the line back on itself with the foam sleeve on it to get it routed above the BB sleeve. Line did not kink! Honestly, not sure why Specialized designed the routing over the sleeve instead of under it, unless of course, it was not designed by Specialized, but the manufacturer of the frame. Naw, I have seen Specialized do stupid stuff before, so I am sure they designed this as well.
for manufacturing cost savings reasons, this is why... --- \/
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Those are a real time sucker.
Old 08-29-20, 10:06 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
For what it's worth Specialized definitely does pretty much all the design and mockup of their frames. They are like 49% owned by their manufacturer, Merida, who also by all accounts make pretty good quality frames.
Old 08-30-20, 12:11 AM
TiHabanero

Quality of frame is not in dispute, although this frame is replacing a defective one. but internal routing of brake line is. I am sure there is a better way to do it and they know it, but as someone mentioned before, cost savings dictates reality.
Makes me wonder if the brake line is routed after the paint is applied, but before the BB sleeve is glued in place as I cannot see a manufacturer feeding the brake line over the BB sleeve and into the down tube starting from the chainstay the same way due to the time it took. Add to that the other internal routings, it makes sense to glue the sleeve into the frame last. Of course I don't know nuthin' 'bout it so just blowing wind at this point!
Old 08-30-20, 07:57 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
One thing that works for me is to get a small metal insert for the brake hose and insert it into the hose end. Route is through and use a strong magnet to help "guide" it to the hole.
Old 08-30-20, 03:22 PM
TiHabanero

Vespasianus, there is no way to route the line through the frame without the method you described, the issue is getting the rubber hose over the brake line and routing it over the BB sleeve. Hard to explain it, but it is a serious time consumer. Folding the brake line over on itself had me concerned it would kink the line, but it didn't and after that with the help of another person it was smooth sailing.
The brake line is pushed/pulledhe caliper end of chain stay to the BB and routed over it then out the access hole. This is a pain in the butt, but is the only way to get to the next step. Once the line is pulled as far through as possible, then the foam tube, with the help of some lube, is slid over the line as far as possible, then the line with the tube on it is folded over and shoved back through the access hole forward of the sleeve. The helper is pulling on the Park hose tool that is connected to the brake line while I pushed the line with tube into the access hole. It is bullcrap to do it this way, but it is the only way I could come up with. Very happy the brake line did not kink, but resumed it straight form.
Specialized does not reimburse labor for warranty claims. Any profit on the bike when sold new is now gone. Profit = net zero.