Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you record?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you record?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 04:25 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
living in chicago, i wasn't completely caught off guard. it happening right outside the lincoln park zoo increased my surprise. when they began shooting at me, i agree, just insane. fortunately it was a handgun and the first shot was not fired until i was half a block away, and which point i was able to get in-front of parallel parked cars. then i had to cut across and intersection or ride of to who knows where, and the fired at me twice more while i was in the open but at that point i was a block away which is a bit fair to hit anything but a barn with a handgun.

i'm not even sure they were trying to hit me, or fire at me to send the message "leave now." but the shots came close enough i could hear them cutting through the leaves of a tree in front of me. one of my closer encounters with death.

i sent the video and description of events to the CPD through their encrypted anonymous tip line. i provided my own encrypted communication channel for them to follow up with any questions. they are still yet to. with shooting everyday in chicago, if it's not political then it's not priority.
Old 09-08-20, 05:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
^we live in different cities. about a week ago i got a shooting on my gopro. after, they started shooting at me (for being a witness i guess). about five shots fired total
jesus wept!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-09-20, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Home music studio?
Old 09-10-20, 01:08 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use a helmet mounted camera to record my rides, had too many aggressive drivers threaten me over the years or scream obscenities at me while passing etc. I have also noticed my interactions with local police got much more polite when they knew I was recording.
Old 09-10-20, 03:49 PM
jt777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do it for commuting but have never needed the video for anything so I just dispose of them. It does take a lot of time to set-up, charge, swap, etc.
Old 09-10-20, 03:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I use a helmet mounted camera to record my rides, had too many aggressive drivers threaten me over the years or scream obscenities at me while passing etc. I have also noticed my interactions with local police got much more polite when they knew I was recording.
How often do you have interactions with the local police while commuting? I can think of having two, both polite and professional, in the last 40 years of commuting and recreational riding.
Old 09-10-20, 05:16 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Back before I retired was stopped often. There is not many commuters that go home at 2:30AM when it is -30c outside.
Old 09-22-20, 01:24 PM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
i got a gopro session. it's a gopro hero 4 in a 1.5 inch cube. it cost me almost nothing. i record everything. 1080, 30fps. i'm not 100 percent sure why. in case of an accident to some extent, but that's not the real reason. the video is amazing. especially cutting through downtown chicago at night. i find it beautiful. i'm not sure what to do with the footage yet. it's quickly filling up terabytes of external storage. i'm a photographer -- with a focus on street -- so it's some sort of instinct. i'll make a project out of it. i don't have direction yet.

do you record? if so, why? with what?
Hi
I do record, but not every ride. I use a GoPro hero 5 I think. Attached to the top of my helmet. I use the video/photo setting so I can also capture stills via voice command. No real reason, I just like capturing images, data, etc. I usually ride with my cell phone on my handlebars where I can check Strava if needed and play SiriusXM for entertainment. I play it out loud so I can hear what’s happening around me. Charlotte drivers think they’re NASCAR qualified, but umm.... NO.

I’d like to build up a Charlotte Anime tour video for some friends. Select a fun song for the background, cut with speeded up video, regular speed video, some stills, etc. Maybe use the sound of a SiriusXM song from my ride with my editorial comments about traffic captured (I’m very snarky... lol), so my peeps know it’s really me.

i sometimes ride with the time lapse photo running too. But last time I did that I was rushing into the house and left it running. 1,500 pictures of my darkened garage later...
Old 09-22-20, 06:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I have a rear-facing camera now. It's interesting to actually see what drivers do when they approach you. Very comforting to know that the overwhelming majority follows patiently at a distance until they get enough room to change lanes. Their licence plates are as clear as day. I wonder if their good driving habit is because they see the camera pointing straight at them.
Old 09-24-20, 10:42 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I have a rear-facing camera now. It's interesting to actually see what drivers do when they approach you. Very comforting to know that the overwhelming majority follows patiently at a distance until they get enough room to change lanes. Their licence plates are as clear as day. I wonder if their good driving habit is because they see the camera pointing straight at them.
I wouldn't count on it, unless it's really obvious, most drivers won't know there's a camera there.

What camera do you use?
Old 09-24-20, 05:15 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I wouldn't count on it, unless it's really obvious, most drivers won't know there's a camera there.

What camera do you use?
You could be right too. But regardless if they saw the camera or not it's still comforting how they approach, follow at a distance and change lanes.

The camera is a Kaiser Baas X300. I don't recommend it.
Old 09-28-20, 09:27 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm going to say the only time I notice ANY change at all in driver behavior is when I wear my GoPro right on top of my bicycle helmet, so it's right there really easy and obvious to see. I ride a recumbent, so it's pretty much right at driver-eye level and very obvious too. Sometimes I ride with it and don't bother running it for that reason.