Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What tire pressure for fat road tires?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 09:57 PM
ScrawnyKayaker
Old but slow

Bikes: Bridgestone 550 Retro-direct drive 52/16 and 52/22 ; Bridgestone MB-3 commuter mongrel ; Concorde Gavina SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My spousal critter has a new Orbea ebike (about 35 pounds? maybe 40), isn't carrying any gear and weighs 150 pounds. After the first commute, she complains that it rides roughly over bumps/cracks, tree route ridges in the asphalt, RR track and stray pebbles on the street. I didn't measure the pressure, but the shop probably inflated the 50 mm (x 700c) tires to 70 or 80 PSI, at a guess from the quite firm feel of them.

Seems like it is defeating the purpose of the wide tires to run them that hard. Speed is not an issue, since she only wants to go 12 to 15 MPH. She could go on multiple rides without draining the battery, so no need for trying to eke out the last bit of rolling resistance. Obviously, I don't want to get down to having the tires wobbling (did that commuting on my fat knobbies recently) or risking pinch flats. For an all-up weight of 190 pounds, what PSI would you start with for experimenting with a better (less jarring) ride on the road and good handling?

Last edited by ScrawnyKayaker; 06-17-20 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 10:27 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by ScrawnyKayaker
My spousal critter
That phrase concerns me. 🤨

https://axs-stage.sram.com/tirepressureguide

I assume you have a tire pressure gauge or a pump that includes one. You are right that 70psi is WAY too much in a 50mm tire. SRAM seems to suggest around 35psi. I’d say that’s pretty accurate. You could go lower, but under 25-30psi, you’d probably start risking pinch flats from minor impacts.
Old 06-17-20, 11:56 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I think my 47mm rear tire has 58-60 psi and front tire of course less. But I weigh more than your spouse and bike combined.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 06-18-20, 12:43 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
My spousal critter has a new Orbea ebike (about 35 pounds? maybe 40), isn't carrying any gear and weighs 150 pounds. After the first commute, she complains that it rides roughly over bumps/cracks, tree route ridges in the asphalt, RR track and stray pebbles on the street. I didn't measure the pressure, but the shop probably inflated the 50 mm (x 700c) tires to 70 or 80 PSI, at a guess from the quite firm feel of them.

Seems like it is defeating the purpose of the wide tires to run them that hard. Speed is not an issue, since she only wants to go 12 to 15 MPH. She could go on multiple rides without draining the battery, so no need for trying to eke out the last bit of rolling resistance. Obviously, I don't want to get down to having the tires wobbling (did that commuting on my fat knobbies recently) or risking pinch flats. For an all-up weight of 190 pounds, what PSI would you start with for experimenting with a better (less jarring) ride on the road and good handling
Even if you were trying to optimize rolling resistance, over-pumping tires tends to be a bad idea: if you're getting rattled, that rattling is being stolen from your forward momentum. Smooth is fast.

Anyway, I have a similar bike+rider weight on my gravel bike with 52mm 26er road tires, so a somewhat comparable situation.
If I'm riding smooth roads, I pump to about 40r/35f. If she's complaining about compliance, go lower than that. I tend to use no more than 30r/25f on gravel rides, and when the bike is pumped like that, it's still reasonably composed on pavement.
If the tires are a fairly tough stiff urban/e-bike model, they can probably go lower than my tires before behaving weirdly (and may need to be pumped lower to achieve good compliance).
Old 06-18-20, 04:54 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
You should be able to go significantly less. I have an all-up weight of probably 210, and with WTB Byway 650Bx47 tires, I run 25psi in the front and 30psi in the back.
Old 06-18-20, 06:12 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
30 psi or so should be fine.
Old 06-18-20, 07:06 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
First check the width of tire. Last 700x50 tires owned measured 44. Current tires on the city bike are 42mm. Older bike, sit almost directly over rear axle. 40 psi rear and front doesn’t matter until below 20. My weight is 195, bike is 30 and that bike is always carrying something.
Old 06-18-20, 07:19 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Read the information printed on the side of the tire. Every tire I own has a pressure range embossed on the tire. You will be a little faster at the upper end of the range and perhaps a bit more comfortable at the lower end. As long as you keep the pressure within the limits you should not get pinch flats. It's much harder to pedal a bike that is seriously underinflated and you may eventually destroy the sidewalls running it too low.
Old 06-18-20, 02:42 PM
ScrawnyKayaker
Old but slow

Bikes: Bridgestone 550 Retro-direct drive 52/16 and 52/22 ; Bridgestone MB-3 commuter mongrel ; Concorde Gavina SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashndash
That phrase concerns me. 🤨
Adapted from "Congress-critter," which I think I first heard from Molly Ivins or Jim Hightower, so maybe it's a Texas thing?

https://axs-stage.sram.com/tirepressureguide

I assume you have a tire pressure gauge or a pump that includes one. You are right that 70psi is WAY too much in a 50mm tire. SRAM seems to suggest around 35psi. I’d say that’s pretty accurate. You could go lower, but under 25-30psi, you’d probably start risking pinch flats from minor impacts.
I used to have a hand-held Presta gauge, but I haven't seen it in decades. Maybe it's still in one of my bike crap boxes. My Silca floor pump will have to do.

Right before I made the OP, I let the rear tire down noticeably and the front tire substantially, to what at a WAG seemed like they felt like something reasonable for her to test out. Popping the floor pump on it just now, the front is at 40 and the rear at 52, so they were definitely overinflated by the shop. But they are probably allowing for people who weigh 100 kilos walking in and asking to go on a test ride.
Likes For ScrawnyKayaker:
Old 06-18-20, 07:32 PM
ScrawnyKayaker
Old but slow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 63rickert
First check the width of tire. Last 700x50 tires owned measured 44. Current tires on the city bike are 42mm. Older bike, sit almost directly over rear axle. 40 psi rear and front doesn’t matter until below 20. My weight is 195, bike is 30 and that bike is always carrying something.
As mounted, they measure 48 mm, so not TOO badly mis-sized.
Old 06-18-20, 07:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
You can lower the pressure. Figure out what the minimum and maximum pressure of the tire is and maybe get a nice gauge and play around for a bit. Also you might consider looking at the Kinekt seatpost, she will love it. They have a carbon version if weight is a factor. Will isolate you from the bumps.
Old 06-18-20, 08:01 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
The widest tires I have right now that see mostly pavement time and some "off road" time, are 700x42. The bike is 30 pounds and I am 185 pounds. When filling the tires up, the rear gets 55 psi and the front gets 50 psi. That will go down to around 45 psi rear and 40 psi front before I get around to pumping them back up.

For my 35 pound bike with 700x38 tires, I bump up the starting pressure to 60 psi rear and 55 psi front.

For my wife's cruiser bike with 26"x2.125" tires, the starting pressure is 45 psi rear and 40 psi front. I'll let that wander down a bit before pumping them up again, just like the other bikes.

Last edited by FiftySix; 06-18-20 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 10:06 PM
ScrawnyKayaker
Old but slow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashndash
Wow. On my road bike, with 28 mm tires and all-up weight of 175 pounds, that calculator suggests 65 PSI front and 70 PSI rear. Thoughts? I'm waiting for some GP 5000s to arrive to put on it, so can't try that just yet.
Old 06-18-20, 10:08 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Wow. On my road bike, with 28 mm tires and all-up weight of 175 pounds, that calculator suggests 65 PSI front and 70 PSI rear. Thoughts? I'm waiting for some GP 5000s to arrive to put on it, so can't try that just yet.
I think that’s pretty good. It takes a mentality shift though. You have to believe that a harsh ride means losing energy through vibration in your body. The pressure should go as low as necessary to get that “gliding” feeling. If you have a super plush bike or really smooth roads, you may not need as low of a pressure.
Old 06-19-20, 09:04 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
40mm tires generally don't need to be pumped past 50 psi. You certainly can go higher than that, bet I bet that much higher will rattle your teeth out over rough surfaces.
Old 06-19-20, 02:41 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
My old MTB has about the same tire width and same total weight and I typically run 35-38 in rear and 32-35 in front. If you ever use your brakes or pedal standing up, I would respectfully suggest not running the front tire pressure more than 10% below the rear pressure.

Otto
Likes For ofajen: