Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

face mask for cycling

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

face mask for cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 08:24 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Factor
Not a chance. I didn't write that I won't wear a mask when required.
And you have more to fear from infected? teenagers than they have from you. If you avoid them like the plague, you’ll likely be OK.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-20-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 09:06 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Yes, you're right, I was neither civil not polite. I'm sorry. I think I was reacting to a confluence of all of the people on my morning workouts not wearing masks, not social distancing, etc. and then the people on this site who keep arguing that it's all unproven and all a myth, etc. But sorry to have spilled that all here.

(By the way, you mean "invective" not "hyperbole." Hyperbole would have been my calling them "the world's most careless idiots" or "the most ignorant of all morons"--which they are, but that's not appropriate for this forum.)
Here’s a little real case for you to chew on in the “civility” arena. You are running on a MUP in a city park , doing your conscientious mask thing. As you approach a small bridge over a creek, you realize a man is standing on the bridge, his bicycle leaning against the railing. He claimed later to be “admiring the view” but whatever, there is not room for you to to pass by him with the legally mandated 2 metre space. (Were he admiring the view from other than on the bridge, you could just run onto the grass beside the trail to avoid him.) Like almost everyone else in the park he Is unmasked. He refuses your polite request to get off the bridge so you can observe social distancing. What do you do?

In Toronto, the woman runner “felt threatened” (so ergo she was threatened) and called 911. The police attended and when it became apparent that the man admiring the view on the bridge was black, it went south from there. Fortunately no violence but a great deal of offended woke sensibilities on both sides.

It’s complicated.

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-20-20 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-27-20, 07:24 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Well, today we had our second ride across campus with our gaiters. They are much easier to pull on and off than the masks with straps that go behind the ears. I don't really mind too much having the gaiter bunched on my neck during the majority of the ride when we are not on campus. But, the masks with straps that go behind the ears allow for more room between the mask and the mouth and nose, which is better for breathing. I find I am riding with my mouth open while using the gaiter pulled up so I can get enough air.
Old 08-31-20, 02:16 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by jethro00
. . . But, the masks with straps that go behind the ears allow for more room between the mask and the mouth and nose, which is better for breathing. I find I am riding with my mouth open while using the gaiter pulled up so I can get enough air.
Of course, if you were really conscientious and wanted to keep the more strident contributors to this thread happy, you wouldn’t ride on the campus at all. The increased minute ventilation (tidal volume x respiratory rate) induced by exercise increases the plume of virus-laden droplets you push through your mask (of whatever description), extending your kill zone to well beyond 6 feet. Sedentary activity only, then. (At the outset of the lockdown, that actually was an official recommendation here.)

See how difficult it is to please everyone?