Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bad news for the Dahon Mariner

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 11:24 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I was in the mode of cleaning chains and sprockets (did 4 bikes here) and when I went to put things back together on the Dahon Mariner the rear wheel just didn't seem "right". It seemed to spin too hard. Since I had already torn one wheel apart on another bike and rebuilt it with a new axle set (after degreasing, of course) I went ahead and tore the wheel apart here. Wow. First thing I noticed was gray/silver grease with what appeared to be metal flakes in it. I wasn't 100% sure it was metal flakes off the bat (maybe that was wishful thinking that it wasn't). The grease on the other side was a dark yellow, still clear. It didn't make sense that they would have used a different grease on both sides....

After degreasing this is what I found.

The source of the material that made the grease silver is obviously the cone. The blown up picture makes it apparent just how much metal came out. The balls are also a bit pitted.

The race in the hub doesn't look really bad. It does have some damage, but it is all intact - no metal removal as on the cone.

For the kicker - the bike has less than 500 miles on it. Though, some of that has been loaded with panniers.

As to fixing - at the moment I put it back together with a tad bit of slop in the axle = very little tension in the cones (enough to get just the feel of the axle knocking a little) and put new lube in it. I don't anticipate riding it much more this season, but a couple shorter rides I'm not too worried about it. However, it is definitely screwed.

The axle set up on this has seals so the cones, I don't believe, are regular cones. Any thoughts on replacing them and with what? Maybe something that is a known durable part? The balls will also be replaced at the same time. I am hoping the hub itself holds together well enough for a few more seasons.
Old 09-16-20, 05:47 AM
P.L.Jensen
Pedal Pusher

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 single speed - 1992 Ibis Cousin It Tandem - Zizzo Liberte’ Folding Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 82 Posts
With my new Zizzo, I bit the bullet and had new sealed bearing hubs laced onto the existing rims... Phil in front (about $100 for the hub) and a no-name three bearing freehub (Something from e-bay for about $60) laced to the back... Definitely can feel the difference...

Attached Images
File Type: png
1592401352217393-2.png (1.51 MB, 182 views)
Old 09-16-20, 06:43 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Any possible warranty replacement?
Old 09-16-20, 06:58 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The axle set up on this has seals so the cones, I don't believe, are regular cones. Any thoughts on replacing them and with what? Maybe something that is a known durable part? The balls will also be replaced at the same time. I am hoping the hub itself holds together well enough for a few more seasons.
Normally you try to identify the hub and get appropriate cones. Below you can see how much variation can be in the cones. Maybe you can contact a Dahon dealer, as presumably only few types are used on the Dahon bikes. Further option is to go to some local shop and look through their kits. I would change the balls immediately to slow down the damage to the hub. You should do some thinking about this much damage over such a short distance as something happened that should not be repeated. Were the nuts overtightened? By you?

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html

See also:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...and-adjustment
Old 03-06-21, 10:02 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Get a caliper and start measuring. The important numbers are the diameter at the large end of the bearing race, the diameter at the small end of the bearing race, the width of the race, and its curve. You can eyeball the curve. Less important are the width from the race to the groove for the dust cap and the overall width of the cone, which you can compensate for with washers. Oh, yeah, and the threading must match, unless you replace the axle and locknuts, too. It's not an epic task, but some care up front reduces the headaches at the other end.
Old 03-07-21, 10:06 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Sorry to read of this! I got lucky with my 2014 Dahon a year ago when I went to grease it buying it. With what looked like very little use, the bearing cones were already showing wear from to little factory greasing.

MO, lace a new hub if you plan on keeping the Mariner.
Old 03-07-21, 06:45 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I got a new set of cones and balls for the front and rear wheels. I put things back together today and did a short 12 miles on it. I have a tad bit of play in the axles - the tension wasn't set for 0 play intentionally. The rear hub takes cone wrenches I don't have (I have 13, 15mm, need 14, 17mm for the rear - will get some) so that one is a hair looser than the front is.I have a ton of grease in the bearings, no shortage there.

Once I get the tension dialed in they should be OK for a bit.

We'll see how they last. If I run in to problems down the road I can replace the hubs at that point.
Old 03-08-21, 09:46 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Sounds like a plan!

P.L.Jensen

That is a nice looking Zizzo. What pads are you using?