Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 10:21 AM
agoodale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
3s were faster over the top of Mt. Ham in Sunday's race, too.

2s were 2 minutes faster over the last 20 minutes, though. The attacks are just more focused and painful. Fewer guys willing to go burn themselves up on the front; so if they go hard at the front the go capital-letter HARD.
I've seen that first hand as well. The 3s p*ssy foot around on the flats and then go ballistic on the climbs. Because they are fresher the times on the climbs are faster than many of the other fields. Most of the climbers in the 3s are future 1s & 2s anyway.
Old 05-27-14, 10:26 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodale
I've seen that first hand as well. The 3s p*ssy foot around on the flats and then go ballistic on the climbs. Because they are fresher the times on the climbs are faster than many of the other fields. Most of the climbers in the 3s are future 1s & 2s anyway.
Similar times at Berkeley Hills as well. Fastest 3s lap was 4 minutes faster than our fastest p12 lap. But over the selective hard section, we were 10% faster. Meaning we actually gave them nearly 5 minutes in the 50-minutes of that lap which was outside the 3 climbs.
Old 05-27-14, 10:36 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Other races are longer than the three races though?
Old 05-27-14, 10:43 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience Somerville is an anomaly. Everybody knows everybody and there is a ton of looking around. The race is so short (15 mi.) that tactics and the unusual course layout (paper clip) dictate the speeds. Compared to the other national calendar races I've done regularly (Chris Thater, Mayor's Cup) it is slow in terms of average speed. Boston is one of the fastest races all year, although it's M40+.
Old 05-27-14, 10:47 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Other races are longer than the three races though?
Yeah, but like 100mi vs. 80. At Hamilton the course is the same for all fields. It's just different tactically that I'm noticing. The average amplitude ends up being about the same, but the amplitude of the peak sections is higher.

Like AP is the same, but the NP is higher. More variability in the 2s vs. the 3s. Could also just be a result of guys being more selective about where/what they race. In the 3s I could compete in any race. In the p12 there are some courses for which I am just not the horse.
Old 05-27-14, 10:50 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by collin2985
Collin - please fix your chin strap.

sincerely,
mabra google groups
Old 05-27-14, 11:39 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
So take away from this is that the view from the ultimate category is that the 3s are harder than the 2s and masters?
Heh. No, I had absolutely no faith that the 3s would stay upright, and my fear was justified by the number of people I knew that ended up in the ER that day. I spent a huge amount of energy staying near the front. Ironically the last crash happened 3 wheels behind me at about 400m to go, when I was sitting 2nd wheel, so being up front wasn't enough, you really had to be in the inefficient first few riders to avoid all the crashes. Even so I was still caught behind a crash during the middle of that race. To quote what a friendly rival told me just before I lined up: "Stay up front, they'll be crashin' like fools in the 3s".

In the 2s I felt that it would be okay sitting in the field until the last lap and I gambled that I'd be okay that lap as well. Therefore I spent no energy trying to stay near the front. I got to the finish with just one crash that semi delayed me. Ultimately my gamble didn't pay off since I got caught behind a crash on the last lap before I could move up. I learned that after the crash that held me up there were at least two more in that lap.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-27-14, 12:07 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
stories like these really make me wonder what the allure of somerville is.
Old 05-27-14, 12:12 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NCC. They're special wins. Your name goes in the program every year.
Old 05-27-14, 12:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
NCC. They're special wins. Your name goes in the program every year.
Even for non-pro categories?

my race videos
Old 05-27-14, 12:37 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
somerville has been around for a long time. we have a "racer emeritus" in our club who has won the big boy race at Somerville a bunch of times; he's always hounding me that our elite team doesn't go, but really, none of us wants to fight east coast memorial day traffic to try and get home to go to work the next day.
Old 05-27-14, 02:04 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by mike868y
stories like these really make me wonder what the allure of somerville is.
It's sort of like Paris Roubaix or something. History, prestigious. It's a massive, massive, massive race for us normal racers and it's a huge win for any domestic pro team. It used to be Cat 2 and above only, no younger Masters (35+), no 3s, but they expanded the fields. I raced it first as a M35+ (lasted 4 laps?), then a couple times as a 3 (5 laps? then a finish), then the one year I was a 2.

No one cares about Bethel. Somerville is the absolute opposite of the spectrum. For a flatland crit racer I don't think there's a more prestigious race. There might be more spectacular races, and some new ones are super prestigious (Athens comes to mind) but in the northeast...
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-27-14, 02:17 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Even for non-pro categories?
It depends on the race but definitely for Chris Thater. Somerville goes way back. It used to be a three race series with Nutley and another place. Amateurs are just undercards at NCC and USA Crits races but is still a big win. It's not always the best racing, but it is almost always top notch fields.

MD there was at least one ABRT guy in my field. Somebody made the drive. Traffic wasn't bad at all on my way home. Heavy at times but moving.
Old 05-27-14, 02:20 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^nice!

I know one of our developmental team guys went and did the cat 3 race, and Bobby Phillips (previously referenced racer emeritus) always goes up. Not sure who did the 45+ race, but know the other 2 didn't have to pack any kids lunches for this morning like I did :-).
Old 05-27-14, 02:26 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bobby lined up right behind me and got a call up (he stayed right where he was).
Old 05-27-14, 02:36 PM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^nice. Bobby is the man, and the man can tell a loooooong story.
Old 05-27-14, 02:40 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet he's fun at the post race party.
Old 05-27-14, 05:08 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Amateurs are just undercards at NCC and USA Crits races...
I was going to make a snide remark changing "undercards" to "cash cows" and thought better of it. Is the amateur payout proportionate to the entry fee, or are the amateurs' entry fees mainly used to up the pot for the pros?

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-28-14, 12:01 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
It's sort of like Paris Roubaix or something. History, prestigious.
my father, who is 70+ and knows nothing about racing (other than he apparently stalks me on USAC and that i've been in the hospital a few times this year!) knows about somerville. he actually sent me an article on it -- i have to admit i had not heard of it until a week or 2 ago.
Old 05-28-14, 03:08 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by revchuck
I was going to make a snide remark changing "undercards" to "cash cows" and thought better of it. Is the amateur payout proportionate to the entry fee, or are the amateurs' entry fees mainly used to up the pot for the pros?
I'm pretty sure that the relative income from the amateur races is pretty negligible relative to the costs of holding the race. I can't even begin to imagine how much it costs to run Somerville. Someone pays for it (the city/town?), there's a huge organization behind it (what race have you done that has its own brochure?), etc.

One Junior won a prime there. $50.

White Plains is coming up. Based on the costs of closing the streets alone they'd need to clear something like $5k/hour of racing time. That doesn't take into effect any extra costs like prize money, officials, announcer, event services, etc. It's not a national level race (which entails even more work - minimum prize list, much higher permit fees, a high minimum pretty-high-level official level and resulting higher pay, etc) so it doesn't have to be even more thought out.
Old 05-28-14, 05:09 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T
I can only speak for NCC races not USA crits, but in order to get your race on the national calendar you need to put up a minimum of $15k in prize money for the P/1 men and $7500 for the P/1/2 women, and you must have both of these fields. I'm also pretty sure you must have the money up front. NCC races never get cancelled due to poor turnout. The men's pro race at Thater was cancelled the day after I won there because of a hurricane.

Somerville paid $1500 over 20 places for the Masters. The rest of the fields were similar. It's old school payout. The race fee was $35 I believe which is low by today's standards. What I am seeing more and more of are races as fundraisers for clubs or causes. High entry fees with low payouts.

Last edited by shovelhd; 05-28-14 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-29-14, 02:55 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 Dana Point Cat 3 & 4

Old 05-31-14, 08:30 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deviated from my new strategy of leading out because the stretch before the final corner had a headwind... Probably should have just lead out anyways.
Old 06-01-14, 05:58 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
With regards to the Thater race mentioned, the money primarily comes from sponsors.
Old 06-01-14, 07:02 PM
The Domestique

Bikes: CycleLogix FC1, CycleLogix Black Mantis TT, Jamis CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone,

Whether or not you race criteriums, I hope that you will appreciate this POV shot with a total of five cameras. Two on the bike (actually three, because I forgot to turn on my bar cam), two on the course, and one on the quad-copter. It tells an interesting story, I hope worth getting you excited about riding and racing. Let me know what you think of both racing and video work.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.