Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Bunnyhop Takedown! Fair, foul, or just part of the race?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 02:10 PM
The Domestique

Bikes: CycleLogix FC1, CycleLogix Black Mantis TT, Jamis CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fair, foul, or just part of the race? Some of the guys seemed to think it was the re-mounting riders fault for being a little sloppy, other think the bunnyhopper's job to avoid him. I think it's cross and you're gonna rub, bump, and go down. What do you think?

I put it at the front of this video so those who don't like long-form narrative videos don't have to stick around. But, if you like that stuff,...enjoy!

Comment here or in the video comments.
Old 12-02-14, 05:22 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Thanks for the video. Although I agree that crashes happen sometimes in CX, I think it should be incumbent on the passing rider to do so cleanly and safely. The bunnyhooper was already out of the groove and had lots of room between the fallen rider and the tape.
Old 12-02-14, 09:04 PM
The Domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Thanks for the video...The bunnyhooper was already out of the groove and had lots of room between the fallen rider and the tape.
Videos are fun. I wish more people captured with interesting video.

Does Ellensburg have a CX scene?
Old 12-03-14, 10:12 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Ellensburg does not have much of a CX scene. We have about 8-10 riders who race that I know of but all the races are at minimum 100 miles away. This fall Vicious Promotions, a regional mtn bike race promoter put on a practice race at a local park which was well attended but it was just a 30-45 minute open event, every one at once. He runs a fall early season practice series in the Columbia Basin/ Central Washington area.
Old 12-03-14, 01:49 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
That looks like a fun race. We almost never get snow around here. There was the December race in Bend last year, but it was so cold that day that I don't remotely regret missing it.

As for the "takedown" bumps like that happen all the time. I'd guess 9 times out of 10 the other rider wouldn't fall in that case. It doesn't look like the bunny hop had much to do with it. I don't know what his momentum was like and how slick the ground was there, but it does look like he should have been able to leave more space for the pass. It looks like he was trying to stay on the worn line and out of the grass, which isn't particularly cool, but overall I think the rubbing is racing rule applies here.
Old 12-03-14, 02:00 PM
kimpw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Domestique
Videos are fun. I wish more people captured with interesting video.

Does Ellensburg have a CX scene?
Have you ever checked out CXhairs.com? They do videos of pro cx races. They do a good job with their videos analyzing different techniques and strategies.
Old 12-08-14, 01:08 PM
dizzy101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was pretty clearly unintentional.

That said, the dude who makes those videos does an awesome job. How does he capture that aerial footage? Does he have a drone or something? Amazing.
Old 12-08-14, 04:18 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fun video! I loved the race drama at the back of the pack. Back'n'forth between the dudes! That Fritz was evil!
Old 12-09-14, 09:21 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Clearly the fault of the bunnyhopper, though being able to stay upright when you get a nudge is kind of an essential skill. Mistakes happen. I don't think the bunnyhopper deserves any kind of sanction, but he really should have given a slightly wider berth.

Originally Posted by dizzy101
It was pretty clearly unintentional.

That said, the dude who makes those videos does an awesome job. How does he capture that aerial footage? Does he have a drone or something? Amazing.
Uh. You mean the SVENNESS videos? That's the professional video broadcast by the sports channels in Belgium (for Superprestige and Bpost Bank Trofee races) or by the UCI (for World Cup races). The cxhairs guy isn't capturing it.
Old 12-10-14, 11:15 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Clearly the fault of the bunnyhopper, though being able to stay upright when you get a nudge is kind of an essential skill. Mistakes happen. I don't think the bunnyhopper deserves any kind of sanction, but he really should have given a slightly wider berth.

Uh. You mean the SVENNESS videos? That's the professional video broadcast by the sports channels in Belgium (for Superprestige and Bpost Bank Trofee races) or by the UCI (for World Cup races). The cxhairs guy isn't capturing it.
Nope. He refers to the video linked. It's the Chris CX 1.x series of vids. I'm really impressed! The pro-elite race stock vids really don't have the fun drama that's shown in this 1.8 vid where our hero and the evil, mysterious Fritz duel back'n'forth, only to be skewered by a blazing Unknown Woman suffering from a mechanical yet pressing onward, only to be vanquished.

Sure, the pro's are awesome and they get involved in spectatular mayhem but it all usually happens much more to script. This was a cliffhanger with surprise elements!

About the ramming -- I'd think that someone ramming from behind is more often the victim of such folly. (They can be shut down, hooked, etc.) But in this surprise situation plus the slipperiness our hapless ram-ee went down. Oh well! The guy who squeezed past without the blessing of sweet justice might find a wee bit of karma catching up to him...
Old 12-10-14, 07:18 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a fun time and race, but clearly the "hopper" didn't make a clean pass. Man it looked cold!!
Old 12-12-14, 10:10 AM
stayfed

Bikes: Stigmata. Bronson. Macho Man. Big Block. King Cobra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unintentional. Thats racing.
Old 12-12-14, 01:39 PM
The Domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
That Fritz was evil!
You don't know the half of it! Thanks for the kind words, Jeff.
Old 07-15-15, 10:34 AM
1speedlos

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy Zona, Cannondale XTJ SS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but I feel the need to "defend" the bunnyhopper. Let me be clear- he's a good friend and teammate of mine, and I've ridden with him a lot. He's a risk-taker, but (obviously) highly skilled.
If you watch carefully, you can see that the remounting rider is really unsteady and veers to his left, into "Bunny's" path. "Bunny" is holding a clean line. Had he been more stable,I don't think he'd have gone down.

Los