Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 06:32 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Domestique

Thoughts? (Yes, I need to shrink my sphere.)
It struck me that when you follow the first bridge, you swing wide on a pretty easy turn, so I wonder if you need to work on your cornering (most people do). You get chased back by both teammates at separate times (the heck?!). And as has been noted, when you make your counterattack, you don't take the tightest line. Those extra meters add up, especially when attacking. Near the end when you were struggling to close the gap, I noticed that your position isn't nearly as aero as it could have been. Your arms are on the drops but really straight (from your shadow). Get low and put in a few hard pedal strokes to close it quickly. You stopped pedaling going into the corner pretty early instead of pedaling hard and taking the corner harder (improved cornering skills would help).

One of the things I've worked on the most is cornering. It lets me make up a lot of time (or create a gap) in the last lap or two when it matters most. At the levels I'm racing, it's a pretty noticeable advantage.
Old 06-03-15, 06:54 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by kleinboogie
I forgot to post this awhile ago. I think it demonstrates why the throw is so important. If you look close, the 2nd finisher's front wheel comes off the ground. I'm doing this thing where I inset pics with the video. I'm holding two DSLRs, one with a gopro hero3+ black on top. It's a handful.

https://www.facebook.com/13011747221...4/?pnref=story
Nice!
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-04-15, 11:18 AM
Smiziley
hmm..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that "communicating". Go harder and communicate less.
Old 06-04-15, 01:14 PM
carpediemracing 

Thoughts? (Yes, I need to shrink my sphere.)
Watched this, with sound. Maybe I have bad hearing, I didn't hear a lot of talking.

Your teammate fell victim to the most common new racer thing I've seen in teammates - it's the "me too" attack. One teammate goes, another thinks "Oh, hey, I can help out" and tries to go with. PRoblem is that the second teammate ends up the elastic holding the field to the first teammate. This goes for attacks, hard pulls to set up attacks, even splits in a heavily stressed field. If (generically) your teammate is in a strong position then you should not do any work to help the rest of the field defeat your teammate.

As a general rule, unless you're doing an actual leadout for a sprint (prime, finish) or a huge effort to get to a course feature first (real race-defining features, not just a turn, so things like a narrow 180, hard turn into a steep climb up a sidewalk, stuff that's just nutty), a teammate should NEVER directly respond to another teammate's move. Generally speaking teammates should not close gaps caused by a teammate going hard at the front. Whenever one teammate is working in the wind, any effort to keep the group together should be done by non-teammates.

This means: if Chris is the attacker and (I'm going to make a name here) Joe is the teammate, Joe shouldn't see wind after Chris attacks. If Chris just follows Eric (non-teammate) and the two gap off the field then Joe should let someone else pull to close the gap. Joe should never see wind if Chris is working or seeing wind. Once Chris is neutralized - back in the field - then Joe can do work. Then the opposite applies - if Joe is off the front, CHris should only follow moves, never see wind, never help pull. Even if Chris pulls at 12 mph it's 10 watts more than sitting in at 12 mph, so don't pull, just sit in.

I've been in line in a hard race, single file, and noticed my strongest teammates were in front of me, surrounded by riders that I felt they could beat. I'd just ease a bit in a turn, let a gap go. Often it doesn't work, sometimes it does. I've been responsible for helping establish a number of race winning breaks, not because I attacked the field but because I was the one that let a gap go, the rest hesitated a bit before working, and the break was gone. Obviously the break has to work but it's easier to follow wheels, harder to bridge an actual gap. By giving some strong riders that opportunity by giving them a gap I forced the issue with the riders in the field.

This doesn't mean that the follower can't make moves happen. FOr example say Chris follows Eric and the two find themselves off the front. Joe is now the watchdog in the field. Joe can follow the chase, sit on, not work. If the chase starts to fizzle he can launch an extremely sharp counter attack, gap off the chase group, and bridge on his own. Joe won't be able to counter extremely sharply if he does anything beyond the absolute minimum work because any work above minimum will take away from his counter move. This means no wind, no pulling, just following, sheltered, resting, waiting. If Joe starts to feel excruciatingly bored then he's close to going easy enough. It should be absolutely agonizing, it should feel like taking candy from a 3 year old. Then, once the chase fizzles, he can go, if the other guys cook themselves nicely.

Obviously if taken to an extreme the passive teammate can block himself right off the back of the race. I've been in such situations where I'm cooked, I just sit, and suddenly I'm in a group of 4 off the back of what is now a field reassembling itself. I'll think I'm still in a group of 15 or 20 but sometimes they all get gapped/shelled/etc within a few laps and when I turn around I realize there's no one behind me. Then suddenly I'm effectively off the back.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-04-15, 01:43 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's usually when I yell at you.
Old 06-04-15, 02:54 PM
The Domestique

Bikes: CycleLogix FC1, CycleLogix Black Mantis TT, Jamis CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Watched this, with sound. Maybe I have bad hearing, I didn't hear a lot of talking.

Your teammate fell victim to the most common new racer thing I've seen in teammates - it's the "me too" attack. One teammate goes, another thinks "Oh, hey, I can help out" and tries to go with. PRoblem is that the second teammate ends up the elastic holding the field to the first teammate. This goes for attacks, hard pulls to set up attacks, even splits in a heavily stressed field. If (generically) your teammate is in a strong position then you should not do any work to help the rest of the field defeat your teammate.

As a general rule, unless you're doing an actual leadout for a sprint (prime, finish) or a huge effort to get to a course feature first (real race-defining features, not just a turn, so things like a narrow 180, hard turn into a steep climb up a sidewalk, stuff that's just nutty), a teammate should NEVER directly respond to another teammate's move. Generally speaking teammates should not close gaps caused by a teammate going hard at the front. Whenever one teammate is working in the wind, any effort to keep the group together should be done by non-teammates.

This means: if Chris is the attacker and (I'm going to make a name here) Joe is the teammate, Joe shouldn't see wind after Chris attacks. If Chris just follows Eric (non-teammate) and the two gap off the field then Joe should let someone else pull to close the gap. Joe should never see wind if Chris is working or seeing wind. Once Chris is neutralized - back in the field - then Joe can do work. Then the opposite applies - if Joe is off the front, CHris should only follow moves, never see wind, never help pull. Even if Chris pulls at 12 mph it's 10 watts more than sitting in at 12 mph, so don't pull, just sit in.

I've been in line in a hard race, single file, and noticed my strongest teammates were in front of me, surrounded by riders that I felt they could beat. I'd just ease a bit in a turn, let a gap go. Often it doesn't work, sometimes it does. I've been responsible for helping establish a number of race winning breaks, not because I attacked the field but because I was the one that let a gap go, the rest hesitated a bit before working, and the break was gone. Obviously the break has to work but it's easier to follow wheels, harder to bridge an actual gap. By giving some strong riders that opportunity by giving them a gap I forced the issue with the riders in the field.

This doesn't mean that the follower can't make moves happen. FOr example say Chris follows Eric and the two find themselves off the front. Joe is now the watchdog in the field. Joe can follow the chase, sit on, not work. If the chase starts to fizzle he can launch an extremely sharp counter attack, gap off the chase group, and bridge on his own. Joe won't be able to counter extremely sharply if he does anything beyond the absolute minimum work because any work above minimum will take away from his counter move. This means no wind, no pulling, just following, sheltered, resting, waiting. If Joe starts to feel excruciatingly bored then he's close to going easy enough. It should be absolutely agonizing, it should feel like taking candy from a 3 year old. Then, once the chase fizzles, he can go, if the other guys cook themselves nicely.

Obviously if taken to an extreme the passive teammate can block himself right off the back of the race. I've been in such situations where I'm cooked, I just sit, and suddenly I'm in a group of 4 off the back of what is now a field reassembling itself. I'll think I'm still in a group of 15 or 20 but sometimes they all get gapped/shelled/etc within a few laps and when I turn around I realize there's no one behind me. Then suddenly I'm effectively off the back.

Love this. Teammate and I are breaking it down. Good rules. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out in examples.
Old 06-04-15, 07:27 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Love this. Teammate and I are breaking it down. Good rules. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out in examples.
I would prefer better music.. other then that they are watchable.
Old 06-07-15, 02:33 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st cat 3 race

.be
Old 06-08-15, 10:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The kids (LUX) went out and did Manhattan Beach GP Cat 2 and didn't discuss before hand who was in the lead-out train and who was going for the win. Besides starting too early, not all pulled and they didn't know who was supposed to win. So they got to watch some other guy win. All classic failure to communicate. They gots the powers, and need to figure it out. Not my video, but great insight into what happened.

https://vimeo.com/130059002
Old 06-09-15, 07:47 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Whoever that was, he did pretty well for staying out in the wind so often.
Old 06-09-15, 04:53 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Whoever that was, he did pretty well for staying out in the wind so often.
I found it interesting that when the power was on he was losing spots. But then the power was on way too early. This is another good one from the NCC race.

.be&a=
Old 06-09-15, 05:15 PM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
I found it interesting that when the power was on he was losing spots. But then the power was on way too early. This is another good one from the NCC race.

.be&a=
Noob question here: he says his sprint spikes around 2500w but it says 1250w (ish). So he's clearly taking his PM number and doubling it. I ride a stages: isn't the data already including the doubling?
Old 06-09-15, 05:36 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#3 Lux guy didn't have the stink. Yeah it was early but he got swarmed. The yellow guy almost wadded it in the last turn.
Old 06-09-15, 06:19 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Noob question here: he says his sprint spikes around 2500w but it says 1250w (ish). So he's clearly taking his PM number and doubling it. I ride a stages: isn't the data already including the doubling?
yeah I think he just mis-stated the number..
Old 06-09-15, 06:28 PM
Doge

I think the power numbers on display are what his meter has. The meters sometimes spike, Most power meters are measuring deformation of some part (crank, or metal strips inside them) and calculating the force to deform that amount and getting the power calculated from that - meaning - a 1/4 turn jump can give a very high real number, but I think he was laying down about the 1250W it showed for a few seconds. And I didn't see him jump.
Old 06-09-15, 07:08 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love those Bahati narrated videos. So fun to watch.
Old 06-09-15, 07:40 PM
carpediemracing 

I haven't watched the video but in my own experience (wired SRM) I never see the peak power on the screen that the SRM says it recorded. If I see 800w or so then I think it's pretty good because I'll expect to see 50% higher than that recorded. I have no idea why the displayed numbers are always lower than peak. This is from freezing helmet cam clips as well as looking while doing efforts in training.
Old 06-09-15, 08:29 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The peak power spike is less than the display recording interval.
Old 06-09-15, 08:52 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I haven't watched the video but in my own experience (wired SRM) I never see the peak power on the screen that the SRM says it recorded. If I see 800w or so then I think it's pretty good because I'll expect to see 50% higher than that recorded. I have no idea why the displayed numbers are always lower than peak. This is from freezing helmet cam clips as well as looking while doing efforts in training.
do you have any smoothing set up in the software?

i use 3 crank revolutions. even if you use 1 crank rev, there is some smoothing.

not an issue as you have a wired unit (what recording rate do you use? 1Hz?), but the ANT+ protocol is 1 sample per second, and because of that you can get some funky stuff going on for 1" samples, esp for a fractional pedal stroke at high cadence. you can catch the data sampling at a weird time.

peak 1" power shouldn't be relied upon for much of anything. it's rarely a real number.
Old 06-10-15, 06:25 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by tetonrider
do you have any smoothing set up in the software?

i use 3 crank revolutions. even if you use 1 crank rev, there is some smoothing.

not an issue as you have a wired unit (what recording rate do you use? 1Hz?), but the ANT+ protocol is 1 sample per second, and because of that you can get some funky stuff going on for 1" samples, esp for a fractional pedal stroke at high cadence. you can catch the data sampling at a weird time.

peak 1" power shouldn't be relied upon for much of anything. it's rarely a real number.
No smoothing (I use GC to read data).

I understand that peak is pretty much never what's displayed, just pointing out that peak and display rarely coincide.

To me peak power seems to make sense, it's in the general area based on what I'm expecting. "General area" means about a 200-300w range.

I read somewhere that the SRM reads a gazillion times a second so peak power may not be real, but 1s power (that isn't peak, right?) should be an average of 1s worth of readings? I dunno, I think I put it all down when I see 1200+w peak and I think I could have done better if I see 900w peak.
Old 06-10-15, 06:40 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With regard to the actual Bahati video and not SRM data recording... according to the numbers on the screen he's doing 600-900 watts for about 40 seconds prior to the sprint, gets a couple of seconds "rest" while railing the last corner, then does a 12 second sprint with a peak around 1270 and an average around 1100. Those numbers all make total sense.

He says "2500 watts" in the voiceover but he's just mis-speaking, he means 1250 watts. As he says in the narration, he wins the race by how he sets up for and takes the corner, not by outsprinting the field. It's really cool how earlier in the video he mentions trying out inside line on that corner and getting his plan set for the finale.
Old 06-10-15, 06:44 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that it seems like a misspeak, since the numbers on screen all make sense. Thanks ^_^
Old 06-10-15, 06:50 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Q: Sprinters; born or made?

Rahsaan: Born, definitely! I don’t do any sprint specific training, I work to improve my climbing or to sustain power for longer; God gave me the gift of a sprint, all my training is designed to get me into a position to use it!
Old 06-10-15, 08:01 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by globecanvas

Rahsaan: Born, definitely! I don’t do any sprint specific training, I work to improve my climbing or to sustain power for longer; God gave me the gift of a sprint, all my training is designed to get me into a position to use it!
I kinda think I agree. I basically do zero sprint training and easily put out >1200w at the end of a hard ride, and >1400w when I'm feeling good (at the end of a ride). I don't even need to try to put out >1100w.
Old 06-10-15, 09:02 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by globecanvas

I kinda think I agree. I basically do zero sprint training and easily put out >1200w at the end of a hard ride, and >1400w when I'm feeling good (at the end of a ride). I don't even need to try to put out >1100w.
+1

I don't do any specific sprint training anymore, no weight lifting, no sprint intervals per se except to go for the green jersey on Zwift or chasing a truck. In an outside ride I might jump 1x every hour, sprint 1x every 2-3 hours. Zwift I sprint every 30-60 minutes (takes me 30 min to do a lap, I'll skip the sprint if I am not optimized with game boost, current green jersey time, and whatever else might dissuade me from making a 25-28 second effort).

Without the sprint training I'm close to what I think I can do. I handily won the Cat 3 field sprint last weekend (no camera footage to see how I did it), to the point that I sat up well before the line. If I was racing on the track I'd probably focus more on working on my sprint but for now it's just a matter of having fun racing and doing whatever I feel like, or not, in training.

One of the guys that got me into the sport has a killer kick/jump. He stopped racing for 10 years. We went for a ride, he was just dying, but when we raced to a spot from a standing start he just buried me until I got going, in the jump he just killed it, it was probably 30-40 meters before I flew by him. We jumped in the same gear, we both had similar components (shift while sprint, etc, after all he taught me about the sprint itself)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.