Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #3

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 12:51 PM
Kokiafan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by clubber

My whip!

You r correct sir! Again I have to thank my guys like rpenmanparker, Maelochs, and noodle soup for their guidance and suggestions regarding frame selection and other parts.
ICYMI in my previous thread my build consist of a Ultegra 6800 grouset on the Workswell R5 type frame and wheels. Just added the Easton decals for a little flare.

This horse has over 17k on it been hit by a transit bus AND been down in a 25 mph crash when I had to avoid a head on collision with an A HOLE txting on his bike who btw didnt even break stride after I went down and fracture my femur in 3 places. This bike has been rock solid! Wish I could say the same for my old leg.
So, what do they have that is the equivalent to this frame now, IN your opinion? I have an older Chinese no name carbon fiber frame (sold by Nashbar of all people) that I hung an entire 6800 group on, and after 7 years have decided that it is time to take the components off the frame and put them on something better!
Thanks.
Likes For Kokiafan:
Old 06-26-20, 07:26 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
What your budget for the replacement frame?
Keeping the rim brakes & mechanical shifting?
Need 32c tire clearance?
Old 06-28-20, 09:52 PM
Kokiafan

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
What your budget for the replacement frame?
Keeping the rim brakes & mechanical shifting?
Need 32c tire clearance?
Sure
No, using 25c now.
Old 07-13-20, 05:08 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Kokiafan
Sure
No, using 25c now.
Looks like WW doesn't make any clones and makes their own domestic frames. Most similar would be the WCB-R-147 which you can find on their aliexpress page, it's 25C width bike. Looks like it was released right after they stopped making the 066 model.

I'm still using the 066 model, haven't done anything to it, still same as it was when I purchased it and built it in 2017, never crashed on it, so can't say about the durability. I've replaced the bottom bracket guide and rear deraillear hanger, ordered them from someone who sold Cervelo parts for R5, and they fit perfectly. It's 105 5800 with R8000 FD (R7000 wasn't released at that time) and planning to replace the RD with the R7000 next few weeks.

Last edited by zymphad; 07-13-20 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 06:09 AM
swifty
commuter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to share the final result of my custom bike project. This is the Workswell 268 I talked about earlier in the thread. Super stoked with the result :-)
Likes For swifty:
Old 07-13-20, 07:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by swifty
That is a pretty paint job.
Old 09-14-20, 10:36 AM
ktuai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swifty
Hi all, I just wanted to share the final result of my custom bike project. This is the Workswell 268 I talked about earlier in the thread. Super stoked with the result :-)
nice work! could you share some informations about the ordering process and how much was the frame and the wheels? I would direct message you but i cant before i posted 10 times.. And what size is the frame and how tall are you and whats your inseam? Was also thinking about that 256 Frame. I am 174 cm and inseam 83 cm so I am torn between 51 and 54
Old 09-15-20, 04:03 AM
swifty
commuter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ktuai
nice work! could you share some informations about the ordering process and how much was the frame and the wheels? I would direct message you but i cant before i posted 10 times.. And what size is the frame and how tall are you and whats your inseam? Was also thinking about that 256 Frame. I am 174 cm and inseam 83 cm so I am torn between 51 and 54
Thanks! I'm 189cm and my inseam is 92cm. I went with a size 58.

I would fit on a 56 as well with the WCB-R-268 geo, but I would need 3cm of spacers instead of 5mm, and a 120mm stem instead of 110mm. Still acceptable, but I prefer the looks of a slammed stem, so I went with the 58. As most Chinese brands use the same fork across the whole size range, smaller sizes can have issues with toe overlap. Something that might be an issue with a size 51? Not sure, maybe someone else can chime in.