Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Sepp Kuss, the man

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 09:37 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
I get the feeling that Kuss doesn't particularly like the spotlight.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 09-13-23, 09:49 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Rat packed! Happy Birthday buddy! I'd give anything to see Sepp in a UAE jersey next year at the Tour.

Old 09-13-23, 11:28 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
I get the feeling that Kuss doesn't particularly like the spotlight.
The jersey had chosen Kuss atop the Xorret de Catí. He has no choice but to ride his brains out.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-13-23, 02:14 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Sepp needs to be very selfish the next three days. The Jumbo GC prima donnas need to take a backseat to the very unselfish rider this one time.
Seems like to me Jumbo wants JV to win it and they are just playing coy. They’ll probably make it look like there were no team orders or anything and Sepp was simply out powered in the end. Behind the scenes, they are probably telling him to just let JV go.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-13-23, 03:01 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not a fan of not supporting the guy in the red jersey. And I just saw a video of Kuss apologizing to Landa for racing him to the line. You can hear him say he needed the time bonus. So he obviously wants to stay in red, or he would not have challenged him for the time. To me it's a bad look to leave your race leader even if it's not the guy you thought it would be. It's not like he didn't earn it to this point.
Old 09-13-23, 08:42 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Remember when Hinault said he'd work for Lemond in the next TDF, and then changed his mind when he saw the opportunity to win again ? Anyway, it's survival of the fittest when it comes to pro sports. If SK gets dropped by his teammates, then he is not the best, and does not deserve to win, regardless of what services he provided to the team leader(s) in the past.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-14-23, 12:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
eff the main two jv guys. if they can't support their long-standing, best super-domestique with all they've got at this point in the season for a gc win, they are less than dogsh*t on your shoe. better support seppuku or there will be a ton of negative energy headed their way. if they don't come correct, they'll both go pavement surfing the rest of 2023 and all of 2024. tw#tw#ffles.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-14-23 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-14-23, 05:07 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
eff the main two jv guys. if they can't support their long-standing, best super-domestique with all they've got at this point in the season for a gc win, they are less than dogsh*t on your shoe. better support seppuku or there will be a ton of negative energy headed their way. if they don't come correct, they'll both go pavement surfing the rest of 2023 and all of 2024. tw#tw#ffles.
Bike racing, like all pro sports, is a business first - sport second activity.

A win at the Vuelta may mean another million + on the next contract. Primroz may be looking to move in the offseason, be a #1 GC rider at TDF... coming off GT win, where on paper he beat Vingo...

What ride in their prime is going to give that up?

The reality - if SK wants to win, he has to beat the other men. If he can't beat the other men - then he doesn't deserve the win. If he wins - teams will be coming at him with $$$. If he's given the win - probably not so much.
Old 09-14-23, 05:12 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by diphthong
lol we were all thinking it, thanks for saying it. Was it the '21 Tour where primoz was body checked by Cobrelli "by accident" as the group was getting squeezed by a tight road? Right now GC Kuss is getting squeezed by weird power plays between Vingegaard and Roglic.

As to others saying "oh strongest rider wins" Kuss is the strongest rider! Three GTs this year, and he barely lost contact on the Angliru!! No surprise he was gapped by a super fresh primoz or in form tour champion Vingegaard!

Besides you want to talk about strongest rider in la Vuelta how about the huge rides Gesink has been doing?

We believe GC Kuss.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-14-23, 05:37 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I keep hearing about yesterday, that JV and Roglic was going for a stage win. They didn’t “race” for the stage win, they just wanted time on Sepp. The only scenario where Sepp shouldn't win is if he gets dropped and Jumbo is in danger of losing the GC. if not, team tactics should be implemented.

I like what this guy said on Facebook yesterday :

"Team tactics dictate you ride for a protected leader. This is the essence of GT strategy. People calling for civil war are incorrect. You will find domestiques with talents beyond the GC rider in their arena, ie: climbing, or pulling on the flats. That's literally why they are there. They don't just ride away from their GC contender on those days. Sepp has waited for Roglic in other GT several times.. A leader needs to be chosen on the bus and a plan executed. If another team attacks and you crack, you crack, but Ayuso was dead and buried. You stay with the leader. No gifts, team cycling."
Old 09-14-23, 05:46 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Remember when Hinault said he'd work for Lemond in the next TDF, and then changed his mind when he saw the opportunity to win again ? Anyway, it's survival of the fittest when it comes to pro sports. If SK gets dropped by his teammates, then he is not the best, and does not deserve to win, regardless of what services he provided to the team leader(s) in the past.
Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
Old 09-14-23, 07:05 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Interesting take from Johan

Old 09-14-23, 10:04 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Well, after all the drama, JV and PR did not attack SK on the 18th stage, and he retained his lead in the GC. In fact, he gained 9 seconds on JV when he went with late attacks by Ayuso and Mas, just to make sure that he wouldn't get pimped by JV in case he changed his mind. Anyways, it looks like SK is going to win the Vuelta, and JV will get his help in next year's TDF.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-14-23, 10:32 AM
GrainBrain

The jersey has spoken! Tbh I'm most worried about stage 20.
Old 09-14-23, 11:01 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
There is a lot of hyperbole and projection here.

Things certainly came within 8 sec of tilt, but beyond that, IDK. It's a wacky business.

I wonder if Sepp will have some burgers with Bobke and Horner to celebrate Sepp-tember.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-14-23, 01:40 PM
nomadmax 

Jonas and Primoz came good today, but only because of the fallout, not because of character. As far I'm concerned, the pecking order is this:

Whale sh*t
Lance Armstrong (at least you knew where you stood with him)

Below him:
Jonas Vingegaard
Primoz Roglic
Old 09-14-23, 03:38 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Bike racing, like all pro sports, is a business first - sport second activity....
I didn't really agree with the 2nd part and we already saw today's result - so moot.

But this part is exactly right and the business is entertainment. A sponsor in touch with the eye-balls want's more positive eyeballs than winning. They want a story and people who buy and think about them because of the story. Love or hate Lance he got 5X (made up number) the eyeballs than some Euro rider would have just winning. SK winning is a great story.
Both the other two have nice stories from fish market to ski jump accident. SK story from this tour is better than both and ruining that story will cost Jumbo more than a win by other than SK would. I think they figured that out - a bit late.
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-14-23, 05:11 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Why all the blame? You've got a domestique leading the race. Thats not part of anyones advance team plan so I don't think you can blame anyone on JV for what they did. I thought it was good for Jonas and Primoz to challenge him, at least enough to make him show he earned it. I wonder if they eased off a bit today on stage 18 since he managed to get this far.
Old 09-15-23, 03:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
let's go sepp! beware of subterfuge on stage 19 and (especially) stage 20. stage 20 looks like the (potentially) craziest stage of this year's la vuelta.

dayum, remco bringing it after that un jour sans. he's in the running to win a fourth on stage 20 as well with the overall kom. not a shabby showing for a defending champ.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-15-23, 09:14 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Why all the blame? You've got a domestique leading the race. Thats not part of anyones advance team plan so I don't think you can blame anyone on JV for what they did. I thought it was good for Jonas and Primoz to challenge him, at least enough to make him show he earned it. I wonder if they eased off a bit today on stage 18 since he managed to get this far.
Kuss started the day just eight seconds in front of Vingegaard but had the two-time Tour de France winner swap normal roles with him on the final climb, going to the front of the peloton and confirming his sentiment that he wanted Kuss to win this Vuelta, even dropping off in the final 500 metres to extend the American’s lead out to 17 seconds.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the...elta-a-espana/
Old 09-15-23, 02:40 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I think that Kuss won the Vuelta by his heroic effort on the Angliru when he clawed his way back against two of the very best stage racer/climbers in the sport to keep the Rojo.

He showed that he deserved it and it isn't a gift.

I remember Lemond's first TdF victory and how American fans were disgusted with The Badger but he was really right. He needed to put Greg to the test so that it was a real victory and not a gift.

Assuming things go well tomorrow Sepp will be only the fourth American to legitimately win a Grand Tour after Andy Hampsten, Greg Lemond and Chris Horner.

I am always shocked that Chris won the Vuelta at his age.
Old 09-15-23, 04:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Who should win the Vuelta is a difficult moral question IMO. OOH, both Vingo and Roglic could be ahead of Sepp if they pushed their advantages. Also, it's really something for someone to win 2 GTs in one year, and that seems to be within JV's and PR's grasps. OTOH, would JV have won the Tour do France without Sepp's help? Would Roglic have won the Giro? I just don't know. We can't test out these what-ifs.

At the same time, it's sort of strange to see athletes reduce their performance below their max. A race sounds like it should go to the swiftest. Sometimes I think the riders should go as fast as they can every day, none of this 'team' stuff. OTOH, team results win prize money. Since the rules and the prizes incentivize team results, I'm OK with JV's apparent slowdown.

I can understand not wanting to lose. Could other winning bike racers swallowed their pride the way JV and PR have had to? OTOH, if they don't support Kuss, will any rider ever help them again unless the prospective helper can guarantee it's to their own benefit?

Interesting sport....
Old 09-15-23, 05:03 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I liked in the last k yesterday when JV was leading Kuss, Ayuso and Mas(?) attacked and Jonas just flicked his elbow and moved aside to let Sepp chase them down.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong:
Old 09-16-23, 04:08 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
...At the same time, it's sort of strange to see athletes reduce their performance below their max.

Interesting sport....
Good post and I tend to agree. Today's the day!

A comment; I've seen Sepp slow down and wait for Primoz and JV when he was out front and working for them.
Old 09-16-23, 07:19 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Who should win the Vuelta is a difficult moral question IMO. OOH, both Vingo and Roglic could be ahead of Sepp if they pushed their advantages. Also, it's really something for someone to win 2 GTs in one year, and that seems to be within JV's and PR's grasps. OTOH, would JV have won the Tour do France without Sepp's help? Would Roglic have won the Giro? I just don't know. We can't test out these what-ifs.

At the same time, it's sort of strange to see athletes reduce their performance below their max. A race sounds like it should go to the swiftest. Sometimes I think the riders should go as fast as they can every day, none of this 'team' stuff. OTOH, team results win prize money. Since the rules and the prizes incentivize team results, I'm OK with JV's apparent slowdown.

I can understand not wanting to lose. Could other winning bike racers swallowed their pride the way JV and PR have had to? OTOH, if they don't support Kuss, will any rider ever help them again unless the prospective helper can guarantee it's to their own benefit?

Interesting sport....
It's only business. Management hires people who will benefit the business and would expect to task them in a way to maximize their contribution to the business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.