Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best multi-tool ..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best multi-tool ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 06:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I believe they made a titanium cool tool - but not positive (?)
Yes. I’ve haven’t been able to find one, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-10-23, 06:30 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Fire-starter? If I get so frustrated I want to burn my biker, but it is metal ... I will just get more frustrated. Maybe a hacksaw blade?
Get caught on a trail taking a whole lot longer than you think you will sometime. Personal experience resulted in me carrying it with me all the time. I don’t need it in town but I’d rather try to remember it so it just stays in there.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-10-23, 06:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Get caught on a trail taking a whole lot longer than you think you will sometime. Personal experience resulted in me carrying it with me all the time. I don’t need it in town but I’d rather try to remember it so it just stays in there.
I've seen your pics of places you go riding. I would never venture in there without carrying some basic survival kit which included a fire starter, a knife, a water filter and few other items which might become useful if emergency ever occurred.
Old 12-10-23, 07:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
we also carry some first aid items - including bandages and advil and tylenol

(unfortunately) we did use the advil and bandages this past summer when we assisted an injured rider that crashed

we are often a fair distance from ‘civilization’ - no nearby roads and or houses - and sometimes no cell phone service

we will often mix in some exploring / hiking - so it’s not uncommon to return just before dark - so we always carry a small light and matches
Old 12-10-23, 10:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
My basic kits for typical local rides. These get stuffed into my center jersey pocket.

Road…

Includes a $1 bill for tire-booting. That specific one has already proven itself in that capacity, and has stayed in my kit.

Gravel…

For races/events, I add a second tube and a third CO2 cartridge, and will most often use a small saddle bag for this stuff. I also carry a hydro pack that has a mini pump inside.

MTB…

For longer rides where I use a hydro pack, the bag clips to the outside of the pack.

I need to add tire booting material for my gravel and MTB kits.
Old 12-11-23, 05:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
To all the people who think a person cannot undnerstand why a fire-starter might be useful .... really?> I mean, if you think everyone else is that dim .... maybe it's you?

Pretty obvious why a lighter at least, might be a good idea .... and even more so, by a large margin, would be some first-aid stuff. A tube of superglue for sealing major wounds, alcohol swabs in a foil pack, tape (even duct tape) to wrap wounds ..... and for longer truiops, analgesics and anti-inflamatories for stiffness, soreness, a minor injury, some sort of anti-allergy chemicals, .... basic first-aid stuff ... just makes sense.

But, yeah ... and explanation of why to bring a fire-starter? Really?

Y'all need to lighten up and learn to laugh, folks.
Old 12-11-23, 05:38 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
To all the people who think a person cannot undnerstand why a fire-starter might be useful .... really?> I mean, if you think everyone else is that dim .... maybe it's you?

Pretty obvious why a lighter at least, might be a good idea .... and even more so, by a large margin, would be some first-aid stuff. A tube of superglue for sealing major wounds, alcohol swabs in a foil pack, tape (even duct tape) to wrap wounds ..... and for longer truiops, analgesics and anti-inflamatories for stiffness, soreness, a minor injury, some sort of anti-allergy chemicals, .... basic first-aid stuff ... just makes sense.

But, yeah ... and explanation of why to bring a fire-starter? Really?
I've carried a knife and way to start a fire since I was 5-7 years old I was taught to build a fire by theb
Y'all need to lighten up and learn to laugh, folks.
I have carried a knife and a way to start a fire since I was 5 to 7 years old. I was told how to use a knife and build a fire by that time. Anytime I'm on a bike I have some basic first aid kit with me. And have a fairly decent first aid kit in my vehicle at all times. Even though I have never had to do anything other than minor adjustments on a bicycle on a ride. I carry tools to make fairly major repairs. Some of us were taught to be prepared and able to take care of ourselves instead of calling somebody on a cell phone. I come from the time that many people couldn't get a landline little owner cell phone.
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 12-11-23, 07:15 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Helpful input
Seems to be this person’s go-to advice for any topic.
Old 12-11-23, 09:26 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by t2p
great looking carry case - what type ?

(does not appear to be a fixit sticks case - but could be ?)
It’s from Fix-It-Sticks. Mine is a relatively old kit and Fix-It-Sticks no longer uses it.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-11-23, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've seen your pics of places you go riding. I would never venture in there without carrying some basic survival kit which included a fire starter, a knife, a water filter and few other items which might become useful if emergency ever occurred.
I only carry a water filter if I’m going overnight. I do have a packet of PG water purification pack with me in my Camelback

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-11-23, 03:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Mr. Cyccommute does indeed ride--and tour in-- some gnarly terrain. I would expect him to be amply prepared (the string spoke ... haven't heard about them in a while. Good one.)

On a related hand to maybe a tentacle .... I am often amazed that people cannot change the tires on their cars and do not carry jumper cables.
Old 12-11-23, 04:06 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
On a related hand to maybe a tentacle .... I am often amazed that people cannot change the tires on their cars and do not carry jumper cables.
Heh, my car's maker determined "runflats>spare and jack" and so mine has neither. Not convinced, honestly, do carry a pump and plug kit and a can of tyre flat goo. Here to tell everybody that every puncture is not necessarily visible while the wheel is still on the car.

Will rethink the whole scheme, next car.
Old 12-11-23, 05:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am often amazed that people cannot change the tires on their cars and do not carry jumper cables.
There are cyclists out there and right here who don't carry a spare tube and pump and don't even know how deal with a flat tire when out on the road. Absolutely shocking.
Old 12-12-23, 09:52 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are cyclists out there and right here who don't carry a spare tube and pump and don't even know how deal with a flat tire when out on the road. Absolutely shocking.
That's me then.
Except I could change a clincher on the road, not so much tubular which is what I ride.

But I'm cycling in London so Orange Seal fixes flats.
Happened last week - pulled the glass shard out and spun the wheel, sealed instantly (and I do wear a frame pump).
If anything really bad happens I just walk / get on a Tube / hail a black cab.

But I am just collating what tools I would need in a multi tool, so far it looks like 3 allen keys and a small adjustable wrench + Leatherman micra (on key ring).
Old 12-12-23, 10:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I mostly ride a folding bike with IGH. I went through the bike from front to back, top to bottom, including the aftermarket lighting and luggage mounts, noting the various fasteners and adjustments and tool clearance for same.

None of my several multitools did the job. I surveyed the market of multitools I didn't own. I eventually went the ratchet+custom bit selections & some additional discreet tools route.

In addition to the usual stuff, my bike requires an exact length of chain, so I carry a short length of chain as well.

Don't I remember in the early 1980s Shimano introduced a parts group that used a 6mm hex key for everything?

Last edited by tcs; 12-14-23 at 05:34 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-12-23, 10:28 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
I carry links in a separate package ... I know myself, and I know I would pull out the tool, drop the links, and be stuck on the roadside in knee-deep grass looking for them for an hour ... probably at night and in the rain. (A selection from the "Been there, done that" line of uncomfortable cycling experiences. )
I wrap all the small parts (quick link, spare cleat bolt/washer etc) in a bit of blue masking tape - keeps them from chafing against other things in the saddle bag and makes them much more visible if I drop them.
Old 12-12-23, 10:35 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by BK007
...multi-tool set to carry with my bike...
Ya got some great suggestions. But when I was thinking about this I considered what tool I use the most. Which one do a go for when in the garage, driveway, or on the road. Oddly I always go for this one first and then if needed other more specific tools. Ha...

Park MT-1

Do note that I ride older 70's-80's bicycles. There may be a better tool for modern day bicycles for sure...
Old 12-12-23, 10:57 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by zandoval
Ya got some great suggestions. But when I was thinking about this I considered what tool I use the most. Which one do a go for when in the garage, driveway, or on the road. Oddly I always go for this one first and then if needed other more specific tools. Ha...

Park MT-1

Do note that I ride older 70's-80's bicycles. There may be a better tool for modern day bicycles for sure...
Had to look it up:
88g
3,4,5,6,8 hex
8,9,10 spanner
straight screwdriver
110mm x 35mm x 8mm
About £14 in the UK
Would almost work for me - older bikes too.
Could do with a phillips #2 (SunTour Cyclone limit screws)
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 12-14-23, 02:29 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Had to look it up:
88g
3,4,5,6,8 hex
8,9,10 spanner
straight screwdriver
110mm x 35mm x 8mm
About £14 in the UK
Would almost work for me - older bikes too.
Could do with a phillips #2 (SunTour Cyclone limit screws)
I also use an MT1, even for my most recent bike (ok, my newest is a 2006 frame or something like that). I have just made a conscious decision to keep torx bolts away from my bikes. a big plus is the price, compared to other multitools.

It's great having the spanners on the MT1 which are lacking from most more recent tools and which I need (I actually prefer using standard 8mm bolts in certain places because the heads distribute stress better and because they can be tightened from the side, which is more convenient in certain places). But one limitation is that the spanners are on the same unit as the hex keys, which means if you have bolt/nut combos (eg fenders, some rack fixtures, etc), then you cannot tighten and hold at the same time. So I also carry a small (same total length as the MT1) double-sided 8/10mm crescent wrench.

But this isn't just a problem with the MT1, basically all multitools with everything on one unit require a second wrench if you have nut/bolt combos on your bike. One exception is the Topeak Alien series, which can split in two.

I originally found the lack of a phillips head screwdriver confusing, but it turned out that the few screws on my bikes (limit screws, b-screw, preload/centering screws) are all flat head compatible, and I think the reasoning might have been that in a pinch, a flat head screw driver works in a phillips screw, but a phillips driver does not work in a flat head screw. But just a guess. If the limit screws are the "limiting" factor for adopting this tool, you could swap them out pretty easily. [Edit--also worth noting is that the MT1 screwdriver is not meant for anything that requires a lot of torque, it is too fine and really is basically for limit screws and the like.]

Last edited by Frkl; 12-14-23 at 02:59 AM.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 12-14-23, 03:49 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by Frkl
I originally found the lack of a phillips head screwdriver confusing, but it turned out that the few screws on my bikes (limit screws, b-screw, preload/centering screws) are all flat head compatible, and I think the reasoning might have been that in a pinch, a flat head screw driver works in a phillips screw, but a phillips driver does not work in a flat head screw.
Yep, I took a closer look at the (original) SunTour limit screws and they are 'flat compatible'.
I've also got a Leatherman Micra on my key ring which has a phillips that fits.

Apparently torx was patented in 1971, I still don't use it.

The historic move to hex bolts did make life easier though:

I do really like the fact that Lyotard Berthet M23 pedals (1950s) take a spanner or a 6mm allen key - the 6mm hex is much easier to use.
Old 12-14-23, 04:19 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Yep, I took a closer look at the (original) SunTour limit screws and they are 'flat compatible'.
I've also got a Leatherman Micra on my key ring which has a phillips that fits.

Apparently torx was patented in 1971, I still don't use it.

The historic move to hex bolts did make life easier though:

I do really like the fact that Lyotard Berthet M23 pedals (1950s) take a spanner or a 6mm allen key - the 6mm hex is much easier to use.
I think a take-away is that standardization helps a lot in terms of the efficiency of repairs and tools. In *most* cases, I think it matters less what standard you choose than the fact that you choose a standard. edit, i don't have experience with torx, but i think one useful thing might be that you can have m4, m5, and m6 bolts all with t25 heads. so it reduces 3 key sizes to one. Again, just a thought...

the point about the leatherman is a good one, too. I also always carry a pocket knife, so I have a screwdriver and wouldn't have to rely on the MT1, anyway. So it is a bit redundant...

Last edited by Frkl; 12-14-23 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-14-23, 04:54 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by Frkl
i don't have experience with torx, but i think one useful thing might be that you can have m4, m5, and m6 bolts all with t25 heads. so it reduces 3 key sizes to one.
In theory Torx is a good idea,
from Wikipedia:
By design, Torx head screws resist cam out better than Phillips head or slot head screws
The Torx design allows for a higher torque to be exerted than a similarly sized conventional hex socket head without damaging the head or the tool
I think I'm lucky that Torx will never be vintage for me, I've still got a small (inherited) collection of 'multi-way bicycle spanners' from the 60s.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 12-14-23 at 04:55 AM. Reason: format
Old 12-14-23, 10:26 AM
L134 

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1977 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, 1982 Trek 720, 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 1983 Bianchi Specialissima?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Park MT-1

I have one of those and find that 50% (guess) of the time one of the various protrusions on the tool prevent the useful operation of the needed protrusion or spanner.
Likes For L134:
Old 12-14-23, 10:43 AM
cyccommute 

In theory Torx is a good idea,
from Wikipedia:
By design, Torx head screws resist cam out better than Phillips head or slot head screws
The Torx design allows for a higher torque to be exerted than a similarly sized conventional hex socket head without damaging the head or the tool
I think I'm lucky that Torx will never be vintage for me, I've still got a small (inherited) collection of 'multi-way bicycle spanners' from the 60s.
All of what you said is true and Torx screws are better in most all bicycle applications I’ve used them. However, converting all the fasteners to Torx is not really possible so we are stuck with Allen and Phillips. However, I’ve found that getting a JIS screw driver or a JIS screw driver bit for my on bike tools has reduced issues of the screw driver camming out during use. Most all bicycle cross head screws are JIS

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-14-23, 12:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
...Most all bicycle cross head screws are JIS
Got it... Years ago I modified a Prince Point screw driver for a better fit on my non-European bicycle screws/bolts.

So what would be the most versatile JIS screw driver to have on the bench and on a ride?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.