Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 09:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Tuesday - Track session with flying kilo, 6 standing starts and a flying 500. During the starts, my crash injuries were not a problem. Coach and I were surprised.

Wednesday - strength training

Thursday - Strength in the AM and Track session with 3 x flying one lap max efforts from a motor pace line in the PM.

Friday - Strength training

Saturday - 3 sets of 8x30" on 1' off on Zwift.

Sunday - 1 hour of endurance on Zwift plus strength training.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-05-24, 09:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
...Not sure what to do now, wanted some time squeezing my legs. Might just find the A bot ad cruise for a half hour, maybe attack the group a couple times if I'm not in any difficulty.
Attacked 'em 10' in and stayed OTF for the next 20'. "Flat Route" course, so I thought I would get caught by the group (of ~12) on the long downhill of Ocean Blvd. Hard for a smaller guy like me to stay ahead of a fast rolling group, but I stuck it.

AP at 10' in: 228w
AP after 30': 268w

smell ya later
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-05-24, 09:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by procrit
This past weekend was really tough... Day 1 I started near the back and was going to feel out the first 5-10 miles but a break formed within 500m from the start and surprisingly stayed away. I had a couple teammates in the break, and I certainly didn't have the legs to bridge, so I spent the race covering attacks by other teams. Finished in the 15-20 man chase group, which I was happy with. Just under 300w NP, which was harder than I expected, and well above what I thought I could do. Day 2 was even harder. The first 8' of the race I did just over 400w NP, which put me on my limit right out of the gate. We dropped about 1/2 of the field in that time frame. About 30 mins in I tried to solo bridge to a small break that formed while I was trying to recover from the first sets of climbs, and I got stuck in no mans land with legs that were deep into the red. This proved to be a disaster as the next set of climbs came up too quick to get myself composed. That said I grinded as hard as I could and I nearly made it until a late attack came near the top and I couldn't hang on. I actually set a new FTP and 5' power, significantly higher than anything I had done in training, but it didn't matter. As hard as I've trained the last 6 months, it was simply not enough to match guys that have been racing and training consistently for years...

Next race coming up in 5 days, three days of racing... just going to focus on recovering today and getting in some efforts Tues/Wed and resting again Thursday. Let's go!
Sounds like hard racing! On day 2 - what the hell was that start like such that you averaged 400 watts for 8'??? Wild. Straight up a climb? I know you're a larger rider than me but 400 is like over 6.0 for me. Regardless - nice job on staying with the front tough half of the field! Do you think the timing of your bridge attempt could have been better, like maybe closer to the climbs so you could go deeper over them?
Old 03-05-24, 11:51 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Sounds like hard racing! On day 2 - what the hell was that start like such that you averaged 400 watts for 8'??? Wild. Straight up a climb? I know you're a larger rider than me but 400 is like over 6.0 for me. Regardless - nice job on staying with the front tough half of the field! Do you think the timing of your bridge attempt could have been better, like maybe closer to the climbs so you could go deeper over them?
Yep, the race started with a climb almost right out of the gate. We broke a lot of people within minutes... Looking back, I should've just saved my legs for the climbs and never tried to bridge. This coming weekend I'm going to be more efficient and just let others force the selections. I don't have the power to control the race, yet.

Also, it was 400w NP, only like 360w average. Still a big effort as I was spiking 600-800 watts along the way.
Likes For procrit:
Old 03-06-24, 06:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

off day on the bike, strength work AM, weekly jog PM, 7:45 pace today on z3 HR.

tomorrow - maiden voyage on the new MTB
Old 03-06-24, 09:55 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
off day on the bike, strength work AM, weekly jog PM, 7:45 pace today on z3 HR.

tomorrow - maiden voyage on the new MTB
New bike day is the best day.

Pictures are required.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 03-07-24, 10:46 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

After this mornings indiscretions.... Doesn't look so new anymore lol. Fezzari (D2C brand) carbon frame, 120 / 115 Fox Factory suspension, Sram GX with carbon crank. The rest of it is crappy and alloy and will eventually be replaced with lighter, nicer bits. Gonna put a faster rear tire on there too, maybe in the front as well.

I'll take a nicer, staged photo another time after I clean it

Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-08-24, 10:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Segment ride today, threshold-y, one long below, on short above. Channeled my inner Sagan / Wout and got second on both

On the second one (FF reverse), I had a sprint in me to grab the overall, but I thought it would be fun if I tried to "feather" it to land precisely between 1st and 2nd on the leaderboard. I nailed it . Also - I grabbed the screenshot right before crossing the line, but you can see from the time that I got it hehe.

1st would have been a hero level effort

nicely executed 2nd place
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-08-24, 11:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TMonk @BADASSzwifter

In other news, on Tuesday, I rode with a Bernie on Zwift for one hour with a coffee break at 30 minutes. On Thursday, I did 2x 8 reps of 30"on 1'off on my TT bike doing the hard portion in the aerobars on Tempest Fugit. I plan to do a Miguel 1 hour ride on Zwift the next time.

I am signed up for Zwift racing on Zwiftpower.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-09-24, 06:20 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Ouch. Went down yesterday in the crit after a guy crashed in front of me, 2 laps to go. Both myself and the bike got fairly banged up but going to make it to the start line today. I definitely have better legs than last weekend, it’s insane how just one weekend of races can push everything to another level.
Old 03-09-24, 08:34 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Ouch. Went down yesterday in the crit after a guy crashed in front of me, 2 laps to go. Both myself and the bike got fairly banged up but going to make it to the start line today. I definitely have better legs than last weekend, it’s insane how just one weekend of races can push everything to another level.
yikes, glad it wasn't worse. Let us know how the next races go!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-11-24, 07:27 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

yikes, glad it wasn't worse. Let us know how the next races go!
The guy who went down in front of me lost teeth, chipped his hip bone, broke a clavicle, separated his shoulder, damaged both wrists, etc. I was very lucky considering we went down at the same speed. I'm still sore and my road rash is not comfortable, and my left hand still hurts a good bit, but I was able to push through it and still race Sat & Sun. Friday I felt amazing and if not for the crash felt like I had a chance at a podium, and I managed 8th and 12th on Sat & Sun even though I wasn't sleeping well and feeling pretty beat up. I set some power records Sat & Sun as well which surprised me. My teammates are SO strong though, I still have some serious work to do to get on their level.
Likes For procrit:
Old 03-11-24, 08:27 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Last week, one 30' on 1" off interval day (see previous post), 2 x one hour pacer group rides with Bernie (D) on Zwift which seems to put me into tempo heart rate and a one hour meet up with my wife on Zwift. Plus 4 strength training sessions and one dynamic stretching session, I tried a pacer group ride with Miguel (C) but it was too hard (breathing) and only lasted 7 minutes.

I am ready to get back on the road. This week, heading back to LA for another session on the velodrome. However, I must say that Zwift is fun although at the end of the day, I am still riding a fancier trainer.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-11-24, 08:28 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

procrit Congrats on the racing and heal up fast. Injuries suck.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-11-24, 09:56 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by Hermes
However, I must say that Zwift is fun although at the end of the day, I am still riding a fancier trainer.
I actually cancelled zwift this year. It was really fun at first but once you max out the levels, get the tron bike, and all that, there is less to be excited about.
Old 03-11-24, 10:33 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I do have a question for you guys. On the race Friday I hit 196 bpm, but on Saturdays race I only got into the low 180's despite setting some power records, and Sundays race my heart rate was even lower on average and peak barely got to 170 despite pushing as much power as Saturday and Friday, and by the end of the race I think 160-165 was as high as it would go. I was feeling pretty tired and didn't sleep well, but a 25+ bpm drop over 3 days seems significant to me. Will this change as I get fitter, or is this pretty typical over a multi-day race?
Old 03-11-24, 10:51 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

I do have a question for you guys. On the race Friday I hit 196 bpm, but on Saturdays race I only got into the low 180's despite setting some power records, and Sundays race my heart rate was even lower on average and peak barely got to 170 despite pushing as much power as Saturday and Friday, and by the end of the race I think 160-165 was as high as it would go. I was feeling pretty tired and didn't sleep well, but a 25+ bpm drop over 3 days seems significant to me. Will this change as I get fitter, or is this pretty typical over a multi-day race?
The 196 HR number on Friday may be questionable. Have you seen high 190's multiple times in the past? Ever do a formal, lab based, VO2max test?

Severe muscular fatigue can of course limit how much you can stress the cardiovascular system. Also, your crash on sat may have prevented full motor neuron functioning as a protective mechanism. The central governor model of exercise fatigue states that your brain will refuse to fully use muscles to prevent permanent damage. The same central governor is what makes you slow down if very dehydrated, or overheated.

https://www.novapublishers.com/wp-co...-334-5_ch1.pdf

Last edited by Enthalpic; 03-11-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-11-24, 12:36 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
The 196 HR number on Friday may be questionable. Have you seen high 190's multiple times in the past? Ever do a formal, lab based, VO2max test?

Severe muscular fatigue can of course limit how much you can stress the cardiovascular system. Also, your crash on sat may have prevented full motor neuron functioning as a protective mechanism. The central governor model of exercise fatigue states that your brain will refuse to fully use muscles to prevent permanent damage. The same central governor is what makes you slow down if very dehydrated, or overheated.

https://www.novapublishers.com/wp-co...-334-5_ch1.pdf
196 is a new high water mark for me, 4-5 bpm higher than anything within the last year or so. Maybe it was a fluke. I've done lab based vo2 tests but nothing recent enough to confirm anything. I do think the crash possibly limited it, but it seems like an awful lot. Perhaps fatigue was at play too.

Last edited by procrit; 03-11-24 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 03:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I did the Zwift Big Spin 2024 (34km) this morning. Although, not branded as a race, it was a race. There are 4 Big Spins and I am signed up for all of them. And one can win prizes. I won a Zwift disc/trispoke wheel set and my wife won a beach cruiser. Winning was some type of drawing versus placement. I plan on entering TTs so now I have a fancy wheel set.

There were a lot of entries in our group and as usual it fractured into subgroups. I was in a group of 10 and we stayed together for the race. It was easier for me on the climbs than the flat and downhill. That is where I had to suck it up to stay with the group. I put in a lot more energy than I would have on my own. Pretty fun.

Then I went to the gym and did a dynamic stretch and strength workout.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-11-24, 05:06 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

196 isa new high water mark for me, 4-5 bpm higher than anything within the last year or so. Maybe it was a fluke. I've done lab based vo2 tests but nothing recent enough to confirm anything. I do think the crash possibly limited it, but it seems like an awful lot. Perhaps fatigue was at play too.
+5 to "max" HR is a lot, how old are you?
Old 03-12-24, 08:54 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

procrit

I had a real heatstroke during a running race that landed me in an ambulance. My HR was still over 180BPM two hours after the incident.

I was sitting and doing nothing but sipping water and gatoraid and I had about a +125 swing in HR. Hahah.

Dr said my heart sounds were fine, just going really fast.
Old 03-12-24, 08:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Hermes
I did the Zwift Big Spin 2024 (34km) this morning. Although, not branded as a race, it was a race. There are 4 Big Spins and I am signed up for all of them. And one can win prizes. I won a Zwift disc/trispoke wheel set and my wife won a beach cruiser. Winning was some type of drawing versus placement. I plan on entering TTs so now I have a fancy wheel set.

There were a lot of entries in our group and as usual it fractured into subgroups. I was in a group of 10 and we stayed together for the race. It was easier for me on the climbs than the flat and downhill. That is where I had to suck it up to stay with the group. I put in a lot more energy than I would have on my own. Pretty fun.

Then I went to the gym and did a dynamic stretch and strength workout.
same for me today, got the helmet. I also want the wheels - I wonder if they are faster than the DT Swiss disc combo
Old 03-12-24, 09:16 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Zwift "big spin", on Suki's Playground, finished in group two somewhere and then a little more time with the A-bot to get a half hour in zone. Lilly woke up twice last night and needing soothing, feeding or changing. That coupled with a slightly later bedtime than ideal meant that I wasn't super energetic for my hard ride today. Didn't force the issue too much, let some wheels go here and there.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-12-24, 09:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Pretty sure I just PR'd my walk to work, 0.95 mi in 15:26. Had to jog twice briefly to make crosswalk that were turning against my favor. Does it still count?
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-12-24, 09:50 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

same for me today, got the helmet. I also want the wheels - I wonder if they are faster than the DT Swiss disc combo
Faster? In the real world, one would have to test. I asked Jim Manton, ERO, at VSC if Mavic IO wheel set would be faster for my wife than the Fast Forward we are using. He said, "Do not spend the money. Borrow a set of IO's and test against FF. He doubted that she would be faster." Team USA sprint team uses Mavic IO disc/pentispoke and double disc. So there is that.

Zwift? Your guess is a good as mine. I could not find anything on Zwift Insider. I was happy to get the wheel set. I am 45% up Mount Everest.
Likes For Hermes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.