Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best multi-tool ..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best multi-tool ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 09:41 AM
BK007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Best multi-tool ..

Hi All
I'm based in US and looking for multi-tool set to carry with my bike ..
Base on what you have and experiences ..
Any suggestions.. ?
Thanks

Last edited by BK007; 12-05-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-05-23, 10:12 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...out-16-tested/
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-05-23, 10:14 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
My main carry is the Crank Brothers M10 but I really prefer the custom set I built but it is not the most practical for most folks but it is a 1/4 bit ratchet from Snap-On with a set of bits from PB-Swiss in a custom magnetic bit holder and it also has a Magura 8 bit tool in it which is a tire lever with a rotor and pad measuring tool as well as a wrench it is a pretty neat little tool. Topeak makes a slightly similar and much cheaper set with a cloth pouch. Not as smooth and nice but I use my kit often for something less used the Topeak Ratchet Rocket would be a good choice.

Also you are missing a d it would be "based"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-05-23, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Anything that doesn’t look like the typical folding mini tool. Fix-It-Sticks and Prestacycle are two that I really like. Both are good but the Fix-It-Stick tool sets are a bit more comprehensive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-05-23, 10:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by BK007
Hi All
I'm base in US and looking for multi-tool set to carry with my bike ..
Base on what you have and experiences ..
Any suggestions.. ?
Thanks
What's best totally depends, primarily, on which fasteners and components you have on your bike. For example, if you've a modern bike which only uses Allen and Torx bolts, you don't need a tool with a hex wrench. Similarly, if you have SAE fasteners, a metric spec tool will be pretty useless.

So, what kind of bike do you have?
Old 12-05-23, 11:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I like the looks of the new Pedros multi-tool that is encased in a couple of mini tire levers. I haven't had the chance to see one in person though
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-05-23, 11:42 AM
BK007

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My main carry is the Crank Brothers M10 but I really prefer the custom set I built but it is not the most practical for most folks but it is a 1/4 bit ratchet from Snap-On with a set of bits from PB-Swiss in a custom magnetic bit holder and it also has a Magura 8 bit tool in it which is a tire lever with a rotor and pad measuring tool as well as a wrench it is a pretty neat little tool. Topeak makes a slightly similar and much cheaper set with a cloth pouch. Not as smooth and nice but I use my kit often for something less used the Topeak Ratchet Rocket would be a good choice.

Also you are missing a d it would be "based"
Just ordered Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite DX + , Seems a decent tool
Thanks

Last edited by BK007; 12-07-23 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For BK007:
Old 12-05-23, 11:46 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have this: Big Switch Ratchet Multi-Tool | Blackburn (blackburndesign.com)

But I usually do not carry that. Instead, I carry the minimalist SV Pro 5: LEZYNE SV PRO TOOL | STAINLESS STEEL BIKE MULTI TOOL

Just enough to remove the through axles.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-05-23, 01:26 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Agree! I have an old Topeak Alien Multi Tool II that’s held up well. But it’s the old school fat (bulky) design which is awful. I require a multi bike tool have a chain tool like the above ratchet rocket lite. The tire levers on these are typically emergency only at best. They break easily if you have a tight bead like my folding road tires. Hate to admit it but I carry two reinforced tire levers along with my multi tool.
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 12-05-23, 01:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
What's best totally depends, primarily, on which fasteners and components you have on your bike. For example, if you've a modern bike which only uses Allen and Torx bolts, you don't need a tool with a hex wrench. Similarly, if you have SAE fasteners, a metric spec tool will be pretty useless.
Agreed. The tools I require have changed as the part on my bikes have changed. Wouldn't have even thought about torx 20 years ago.
Old 12-05-23, 03:00 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Topeak set looks nice. I have a nifty set from Mineral, but it seems to be out of production. It is a 4" right angle handle that takes a variety of Allen, Torx, whatever, heads that stow in little magnetic sockets.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-05-23, 08:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Helpful in most situations
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-05-23, 10:57 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Topeak Mini 20 pro. Have only used the hex wrenches, but all good so far.
Old 12-06-23, 12:02 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I carry a Crank Bros. Y-16 and a cut down 15mm box end in a Topeak trunk bag most of my bikes have rack for it
Old 12-06-23, 12:26 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
"best"? That's like asking what's the best screwdriver. Just buy one that has the sizes and types of tools you need. Functionally, they're all the same. Don't over think it.
Old 12-06-23, 04:46 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Camilo
"best"? That's like asking what's the best screwdriver. Just buy one that has the sizes and types of tools you need. Functionally, they're all the same. Don't over think it.
Oh, c’mon…you must know that’s not true!

Have you never used a minitool where the pieces came loose, flopped around, and mad tightening a bolt an exercise in herding sheep? Or how about one that needed assembly (or disassembly) before you could use it, costing extra time and fuss roadside? Shape uncomfortable to use? Extensions too short ? Too big and filled with stuff you don’t need or can’t use that makes it hard to work with the stuff you do need? Doesn’t retain bits well and so you drop in the grass and waste time looking for them? Are shaped poorly, fit badly, and damage bolts?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-06-23, 06:46 AM
CaptainMay

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
much obliged foor your recommendations
I'm in search of a decent mukti tool as well. I'll give a try to a couple of those
Likes For CaptainMay:
Old 12-06-23, 07:39 AM
BK007

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Same..??? how old are you man..???
Lot of crappy tools out there !!!
I am asking if any of you who have used and your opinions about what works what not ..
Old 12-06-23, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You really just need to figure out what issues you've had in the past while on the road with your bike and what you'll likely have happen in the future. As well whether you know how to fix the stuff that you'd use those tools for. A couple hex keys, tire lever, spare tube and inflator are about all I've used for the last six years. I've trimmed some stuff out of my kit that I no longer carry.

If you are riding far from home, you probably need to be better stocked for tools than I am for my rides. Even my 60 plus mile routes are never farther from the house than a 20 minute drive in a car if I'm so broke down that I need someone to come get me.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-06-23, 09:49 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Well, fwiw, the best screwdriver I ever bought is a Vessel Megadora #900 +2x100 JIS screwdriver. They fit and grip derailleur adjustment screws like a boss. Not something you want to carry though long term. I tend to take the individual tools I may need as they are certain to fit well into whatever the application. Multi/many tools in one in my experience are inevitably inconsistent in mating well with what they are supposed to. Park and Pedro's come to mind. Husky folding hex sets have good precision if you need that many in one tool.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-07-23, 01:08 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Oh, c’mon…you must know that’s not true!

Have you never used a minitool where the pieces came loose, flopped around, and mad tightening a bolt an exercise in herding sheep? Or how about one that needed assembly (or disassembly) before you could use it, costing extra time and fuss roadside? Shape uncomfortable to use? Extensions too short ? Too big and filled with stuff you don’t need or can’t use that makes it hard to work with the stuff you do need? Doesn’t retain bits well and so you drop in the grass and waste time looking for them? Are shaped poorly, fit badly, and damage bolts?
No I haven't. But I look at the tool before I buy it. There's a million that work perfectly.
Old 12-07-23, 05:50 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

But I usually do not carry that. Instead, I carry the minimalist SV Pro 5: LEZYNE SV PRO TOOL | STAINLESS STEEL BIKE MULTI TOOL
Thanks... this fits the bill for me. Do I see a place to hide a master link in that gizmo?
Likes For Jughed:
Old 12-07-23, 06:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

There's a million that work perfectly.
That’s a subjective assessment, and not at all the same as your previous assertion that “functionally they’re all the same.” If for your needs and expectations a million work perfectly, I won’t argue with that, but to by my standards, there are a million which work sufficiently and only very few which perform perfectly.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-07-23, 06:13 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
I'm pretty OCD when it comes to multi-tools, general preparedness for flats, and adjustments on the fly. I carry what I need to carry so I can be self-sufficient and self-reliant. That being said, I try to carry the least to accomplish the most.

Specifically, what do I need to do, and which tool do I need to do it?

1) Loosen through-axle to remove wheel and fix a flat... 6mm hex head
2) Adjust saddle height / fore-aft / angle... 5mm or 4mm hex head
3) Tighten miscellaneous bolts (i.e. stem bolts, top cap, bottle cage bolts, etc.) that might be loose or a bit "rattly"... 3mm / 4mm / 5mm hex head in most cases, sometimes a T25 torx head
4) Tighten pedals... 8mm hex head (in most cases)
5) Cleat adjustments... #2 phillips head

If there were a 7-function multi-tool that had 3/4/5/6/8mm hex heads, a T25 torx, and a phillips #2 with nothing else I'd be set. So far, I haven't found one .

I find 9-function tools to offer the best balance of function and weight, so I primarily carry the Topeak Mini-9 (92g) or the Silca Nove (85g). They both have the same selection of tools (2 / 2.5 / 3 / 4 /5 / 6 / 8 mm hex, T25 torx, phillips #2), come with everything I need and not much I don't. That which I (mostly) don't need, which are the 2mm and 2.5mm hex heads, add almost no weight and are not totally useless.

Another tool that looks really good is Wolf Tooth 8-Bit Pack Pliers (70g), which I don't own or carry. It has all of the same functions as the above mentioned tools, plus it can also remove and install master links.

As referenced by cyccommute , Fix it Stix and Prestacycle are also awesome! I own both, but only carry them for very long, epic adventures.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-07-23 at 06:20 AM.
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-07-23, 08:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
I'm pretty OCD when it comes to multi-tools, general preparedness for flats, and adjustments on the fly. I carry what I need to carry so I can be self-sufficient and self-reliant. That being said, I try to carry the least to accomplish the most.

Specifically, what do I need to do, and which tool do I need to do it?

1) Loosen through-axle to remove wheel and fix a flat... 6mm hex head
2) Adjust saddle height / fore-aft / angle... 5mm or 4mm hex head
3) Tighten miscellaneous bolts (i.e. stem bolts, top cap, bottle cage bolts, etc.) that might be loose or a bit "rattly"... 3mm / 4mm / 5mm hex head in most cases, sometimes a T25 torx head
4) Tighten pedals... 8mm hex head (in most cases)
5) Cleat adjustments... #2 phillips head

If there were a 7-function multi-tool that had 3/4/5/6/8mm hex heads, a T25 torx, and a phillips #2 with nothing else I'd be set. So far, I haven't found one .

I find 9-function tools to offer the best balance of function and weight, so I primarily carry the Topeak Mini-9 (92g) or the Silca Nove (85g). They both have the same selection of tools (2 / 2.5 / 3 / 4 /5 / 6 / 8 mm hex, T25 torx, phillips #2), come with everything I need and not much I don't. That which I (mostly) don't need, which are the 2mm and 2.5mm hex heads, add almost no weight and are not totally useless.

Another tool that looks really good is Wolf Tooth 8-Bit Pack Pliers (70g), which I don't own or carry. It has all of the same functions as the above mentioned tools, plus it can also remove and install master links.

As referenced by cyccommute , Fix it Stix and Prestacycle are also awesome! I own both, but only carry them for very long, epic adventures.
Excellent post, and I, too, like the Topeak Mini 9, although I don’t really need the 8mm for pedals— mine never have come loose in decades now, even though I change them frequently, moving my power meter pedals between bikes— but I carry it on my gravel bike for the SRAM Force crank fixing bolt, which did come loose on the road once. I’d failed to torque it properly on install, so that was more on me than anything else.

On most of my other bikes I carry either the Lezyne V Pro 7 (65g) or vintage Ritchey CPR-9 (25g). It’s rare that I have anything come loose or need adjustment anymore, so which I carry is almost as dependent on pack space demands as it is on bike spec. For example, I’d probably carry the Ritchey on my main roadie if not for the fact that my Cyckit Aeroclam saddle case has a designated space for a tool like the V Pro 7, simplifying packing of the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.