Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Route from Muskegon to Ann Arbor (possible on to Detroit)

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 01:41 PM
Wisc Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking a a trip later this summer from Muskegon to Ann Arbor (possibly going on to Detroit). Wanted to check in anyone had experience with a route like this. Looking a doing it over several days. I can see an easy section from Muskegon to Grand Rapids. After that it's not so clear. Trails are interesting but road travel on lightly traveled roads can be more interesting.

Any advice on sections from Grand Rapid to the Lansing area, and then on to Ann Arbor? Are there specific points of interest, recommended places to stay. Also, any places to avoid.
Thanks.
Old 06-24-17, 10:15 PM
Touringfool

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you go?

I am playing to bike from Muskegon to Ann Arbor in a few weeks. Did you ever make the trip? Any advice?
Old 06-26-17, 04:33 PM
chizlr40

Bikes: cannondale,trex,schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
although i have not ridden that exact route i find getting county maps or even the state atlas it has detailed county maps with secondary roads,paths and dirt roads too. sometimes the old technology still works. i have ridden mich to pa using these maps
Old 07-11-17, 01:59 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, the bike routes on google map are ok. There is a rail trail that basically goes from South Haven most of the way to lake St. Claire in Detroit - although there are a lot of blank or unfinished sections.

I like to go to Strava heat maps to see where the good routes are, although results are skewed by club rides - and what works good for a group ride Sunday morning may not work the rest of the week.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#10/-...0795/blue/bike
Old 08-16-17, 02:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's now "later this summer," and I'm just seeing the post. I don't visit the regional forums very often. Have you done the ride yet? If you PM me I might be able to offer suggestions for the middle part of your trip if it passes within, say, 30-40 miles of Lansing.
Old 09-13-17, 09:20 AM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Go to lmb.org and in their free map section is a route from Muskegon to Detroit that goes through Ann Arbor. It was developed with input from bicyclists along the route. The League of Michigan Bicyclists (LMB) has a lot of great resources.
Old 09-13-17, 06:29 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Touringfool
I am playing to bike from Muskegon to Ann Arbor in a few weeks. Did you ever make the trip? Any advice?
For your reference (and others) the original question/post was from 2010. That was his first and only post on BF. I'm guessing you won't hear a response.

I have no experience in the area you are referring to, so I have no advice to offer about Muskegon to AA.