Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

My head hurts, help please!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 08:02 PM
UberNuby

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Na

Last edited by UberNuby; 02-20-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-25-11, 09:10 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can sell you a 24" front wheel 36v kit, that includes everything you need except for the batteries. (SLAs are expensive to ship).
Will have motor laced into 24" wheel, controller, brake handles, horn, front light, keylock, and either thumb or twist throttle.
$250 including the shipping within the USA.
Old 04-25-11, 10:31 PM
UberNuby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Na

Last edited by UberNuby; 02-20-15 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 06:23 AM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UberNuby, one thing I would say, is that you are better off buying from anywhere except ebay. Most ebay kits are crap. I don't know what Sangesf is selling.

There are lots of places to buy from. Do your homework before you buy. There's lots of information here on the forum and testimonials, too. With only $450, you might be able to put something together that will go 10 miles but not much more than that and that's if you really dig and dig for good buys and use LIPO and some cheap chargers. With $600, you can do probably much better. Prices are really getting reasonable as the e-bike businesses are all competing for customers. I spent $750 on just the hub, controller, and throttle. I spent about $400 on the battery (lifepo4). Mine is still in very good condition after a year of use. You should wait until you got a little more money.
Old 04-26-11, 08:15 AM
DarthSensate

Bikes: '90s GT AllTerra Timberline with GM hub motor, Raleigh Competition, '81 Lotus Super Pro Aero, Schwinn S-25

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would agree with Morph, $450 does limit you quite a bit. And the ebay kits are really hit or miss on quality and service.

My personal recommendation: Ampedbikes.com of course. I've purchased two kits from them. I frequent their forum, and I have been riding for three years now on their kits. The owner and staff are VERY responsive to any questions.

Their complete 36V SLA front OR rear direct drive is currently selling for $445 + $56 shipping.
https://www.ampedbikes.com/complete.html

I ride with SLA batteries all the time. I don't have cash for a lithium pack yet. My commute is 11 miles each way using crappy old salvaged 7ah SLA batteries from retired APC UPS computer power units. The ones with the kit will obviously be a lot better than mine! :>

However, you mentioned that your wheels are 24". You will need to email support@ampedbikes.com and see if they have the kits available in 24". Most younger kids bike are 24" and there is not AS MUCH of a market to stock that particular size wheel.

Good luck with which ever kit you decide on.

P.S. Voltage is normally directly proportional to maximum speed of the bike. 36V will typically get you 23MPH peak. 24V, I think, is more around 18MPH. The AH, amp-hour, rating of the battery pack is directly proportional to the range of the bike barring extreme circumstances like brutal hill climbing.
Old 04-26-11, 01:23 PM
liksmuzic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These Canadian companies have US outlets. The first one:
https://us.itselectric.ca/Products_for_the_US_s/2.htm I just looked at
and did not wander around the site much.
This site I really like because of their information sections on the site
https://www.ebike.ca/index.shtml.
Check out the info section, and they ship worldwide as well.
They have a very informative web site. As I am sure that there is many others
out there.
One thing that is interesting is that 3 yrs ago the owner Justine went from the
west coast to the east coast all on an ebike conversion. Very Cool!
So he really knows what works well, and so on.

Jerry
Old 04-26-11, 01:45 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will pm you my email an we'll go from there with pics and such.
The kits I sell AND use (on my own 24x2.00 front wheel)
The motor is 36v/48v 800w.
As a general rule, 24v will give you speeds of about 16-18 mph, 36v gets you 19-21mph, 48v gets you 22-25mph.
Batteries are the killer part of your budget...
SLA although a little cheaper in the short run, are way heavier and more expensive in the long run, then Lithium type batteries..
LiFePO4 batteries are the best choice for beginners.
Lithium Polymer batteries are a good choice for those that like to tinker (and have a little more "punch" to them)
In reference to chargers.. Most lifepo4 batteries come with a charger made for them specifically. Most lithium polymers require specialized chargers, power supplies and charging regimens..
Old 04-26-11, 02:01 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UberNuby
Okay, so I just got my bike out of my basement after having it sit for like 10 years. I've been looking around for an electric bike kit, but I'm having a hard time finding one in my budget of $450~. My bike is an old Roadmaster, and it wheels are 24" x 2.00? I also know its made of steel because I used a magnet to test. After doing some research and looking at different kits, I know that a front wheel kit would be best (and easier). I also know that SLA batteries are the cheaper option so I want that as part of the kit too. I want this electric kit to commute to school, which is only 2 miles away. I also plan to commute using pedal assist. I only weigh 100 lbs, and my backpack is probably about ~20lbs, so weight should not be an issue. Any advice on a suitable bike kit for me will be greatly appreciated!
Fortunately your body weight is very light...at 100 lbs.....and your back pack is 20 lbs...BUT...your bike is made of steel..so I imagine it weighs close to 35 lbs..then when you add the brushless hub , you add about another 20 lbs to the bike...then going with SLA batteries adds more weight...so your whole setup will easily be near 200 lbs...

you have $450 to spend....but only need to travel a total of 4 miles round trip...Have you thought about trying one of the pre-built walmart electric bikes ? Or, look on craigslist for a used electric bike pre-built ?
Old 04-26-11, 03:28 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you choose to go lifepo4, I would suggest the guy on eBay that sunnyday and I bought our batteries from and for $259 to $299 you can get a 36v 10ah or 20ah one.

I agree with sunnyday, about the Wally world bikes, IF you only want to go on short rides (less than 10miles), however, if you wish to extend your range to 20+, then a kit and batteries on your favorite bike is your best bet.
Old 04-26-11, 04:48 PM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounting height will be a consideration. A 100# rider will have a harder time controlling much weight mounted high on a bike. Than a 200# rider.
Old 04-26-11, 05:20 PM
Sangesf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heh... I just checked with my supplier of motors, they jumped up $25..
So I have to change my kit prices accordingly..
36v kits are now $275..