Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Crosstrail Question?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 07:01 PM
JJonsy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I was thinking about getting the Specialized Crosstrail. I want to ride on the street but also do some low key flow trails in the woods behind my house. I currently have a sirus and blew out the back tire doing a wheelie. I know why would you do a wheelie on a sirus. I use to race but now I just want to do flow trails and minor jumps. What do you think? Is the Crosstrail a good option for off road and minor jumps? Thanks

Old 08-25-19, 07:39 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JJonsy
So I was thinking about getting the Specialized Crosstrail. I want to ride on the street but also do some low key flow trails in the woods behind my house. I currently have a sirus and blew out the back tire doing a wheelie. I know why would you do a wheelie on a sirus. I use to race but now I just want to do flow trails and minor jumps. What do you think? Is the Crosstrail a good option for off road and minor jumps? Thanks

The suspension probably isn't going to be happy with jumps, more for taking the roughness out of a bad surface. Minor would need to be very minor or you'll bottom out. Fine for gravel or semi-roughish trails, mild rooty stuff. Bad for jumping, rock gardens, etc. Mine only has 65mm movement, which was fine for my purposes till I figured out flat bars weren't working with my body. Probably good for something slightly more than a 2in tire will do on its own.
Old 08-25-19, 07:55 PM
JJonsy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah im just wanting to go up and down on dirt paths and a little hill.
Old 08-28-19, 10:49 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If you plan on having the bike leave the ground at all ('minor jumps') then the crosstrail is not the right bike. You need something with stronger wheels and wider tires to cushion the landing.
Old 08-28-19, 01:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The Crosstrail is a dual sport bike that's probably best left to gentle, rolling trails and paved pathways. For wheelies and jumps you'd be better served with a more stout MTB or BMX style bicycle. Think P.3, Pitch, or Rockhopper for the kind of riding you're describing.

-Kedosto
Old 08-28-19, 01:38 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
...blew out the back tire...
Does that mean you got a flat? If so, likely just a pinch flat. Fitting wider tires on your sirrus may be all you need, I think it can take 42mm.

If you are set on a different bike, look at cross country mountain or gravel bikes. They will be better suited for what you want.
Old 08-28-19, 02:53 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Yah im just wanting to go up and down on dirt paths and a little hill.
If you are staying on contact with the ground at all times and just want a front suspension to take a little shock out of the occasional root or rock, the Crosstrail will do you fine.

If it's a seriously rocky surface or something of that nature, the suspension on the Crosstrail will be underwhelming.

It's a fine bike for gentle riding. I commute on one. The stock components don't hold up to abuse very well. I've replaced the BB, crank, chain, cassette, and rear wheel bearing.

It's a much more robust bike after all those upgrades though. It's probably an extra $200 worth of parts and labor into it to make it a more durable machine.