Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carrying a jacket

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yup, Rapha knows how to do pockets. And it sounds like you shop in their sale section, too. Got my second Brevet LS jersey about a year ago for $84 -- which is cheaper than plenty of humdrum jerseys.
Yeah. My ex periodically tells me about their sales. I try not to give out even my junk email address. Still trying to score a wine colored one. They seem to sell out quickly during a sale.
Old 11-19-23, 01:36 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Several companies also make water bottle storage containers which will hold compressed items. I have a light weight rain jacket in mine.
Do you like a rigid or soft container? I saw some that would be good for tools.
Old 11-19-23, 02:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have a huge seat bag because I also find it necessary to start overdressed and then strip layers. I also have a couple stretch-straps (bungees or used inner tubes) around the bag so I can secure other layers there if it is full. The key word is "secure"---as others have noted, you don't want to lose something while riding, particularly if it is likely ten end up ending your ride as it falls.
A not huge but surprisingly roomy seat bag is the Ortleib Two. I use it to carry 2 tubulars plus tools. Yes, after that there isn't much room but two not so small, mediocre-folding tubulars = real space needed. With just a couple of inner tubes and the usual tools, those bags could handle some good size pieces of clothing. Plus they open wide so stuffing large items in is easy. And, several bikes? Yes, you need to mount their racks on each but going from bike to bike is really fast.
Old 11-19-23, 02:42 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have a huge seat bag because I also find it necessary to start overdressed and then strip layers.
Does that pay well? I’m hoping to retire in April and may want a gig to supplement my pension.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-19-23, 02:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I was riding alongside a friend who had her jacket tied around her waist. It got sucked into the rear wheel and locked it up. She skidded to a stop without crashing. A guy I know was mountain biking and had his sweatshirt tied on the bars. It got into the front wheel and he went over the bars at speed and got hurt pretty bad.

Tying clothing to the bike is a bad idea.
Tie it around your head like a keffiyeh.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-19-23, 03:19 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
When I have the OP's problem. I remove the jacket. Hold the sleeves outstretched by cuffs and roll it up from the bottom of the torso. Done properly this leaves a 6 foot jacket tube with the torso on the inside of the roll I then drape the center over the stem and bring the jacket arms forward and up in front of the handlebars. Then bring the arms back towards yourself and back down under the stem and tie the arms together in a square knot. If too much arm remains for safe travel due to the proximity to the front wheel, cross the arms under the stem and tie the square knot above the stem instead.

Easy.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 11-19-23, 03:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Topeak Dyna Pack.

Old 11-19-23, 04:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
...are small panniers and a rack just not fashionable any more ? That would be n keeping with everything else I use.

Old 11-19-23, 04:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Tie it around your head like a keffiyeh.
Had to Google that.
Old 11-19-23, 04:30 PM
big john

Originally Posted by jadmt
Those sure are tempting for me. I have a tough time without trying on tho as I am a hard fit. 5'9" and thicker in the body and arms and forearms well let's just say bigger boned then cycling clothing is designed for...I tried a xxl PI thermal jersey that was on sale at REI and it was skin tight. man I need to lose weight.
I have a Gore jersey in XXL which is so tight I use it as a base layer. I have a Giordana XXL which is very tight and I don't wear it if I'm having a fat day. I've used Pearl Izumi XXL jerseys for years and they fit great. I recently bought a newer design PI jersey in XXL and it's so big it's ridiculous. Like if I gained 50 pounds it would still be loose.

I use PI shorts in XXL and they fit but they vary. I can buy 2 pair at the same time and they will fit differently. I tried a XXL short from Neo Pro and they were so small I couldn't even get them on. I tried but it felt like they were going to rip.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-19-23, 08:26 PM
indyfabz

Nun not included.

Old 11-19-23, 08:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Topeak Dyna Pack.
How about a Moots Tailgator?

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-19-23, 09:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Do you like a rigid or soft container? I saw some that would be good for tools.
Ridgid tends to be more waterproof.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-20-23, 10:30 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
For carrying something like a rolled-up jacket on my frame, I really like the Apex strap from Occam Designs. It works very well... easy to use, secure, and versatile.
Old 11-20-23, 11:53 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
For 2-3 hour rides, the variation in temperature around here (i.e. not in the desert) is not so extreme that you can't just stuff your wind barrier in your jersey pocket once it warms up. For me, that's been enough.

For all-day rides, as others have suggested a Camelback or equivalent can work. Or, a trunk bag. I don't have any experience with frame or handlebar bags, I've always gone with one of the two I mentioned. I like the trunk bag a bit better, as the load is off my back. But, if I'm riding a bike without a rear rack, I've had good results with a Camelback. Just remember to wear it under your outer layer, both to make it possible to remove your outer layer without stopping, and to help prevent a frozen sipping tube (although blowing the drink back into the reservoir works pretty well on all but the very coldest rides).
Likes For noimagination:
Old 11-20-23, 05:22 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by noimagination
For 2-3 hour rides, the variation in temperature around here (i.e. not in the desert) is not so extreme that you can't just stuff your wind barrier in your jersey pocket once it warms up. For me, that's been enough.

For all-day rides, as others have suggested a Camelback or equivalent can work. Or, a trunk bag. I don't have any experience with frame or handlebar bags, I've always gone with one of the two I mentioned. I like the trunk bag a bit better, as the load is off my back. But, if I'm riding a bike without a rear rack, I've had good results with a Camelback. Just remember to wear it under your outer layer, both to make it possible to remove your outer layer without stopping, and to help prevent a frozen sipping tube (although blowing the drink back into the reservoir works pretty well on all but the very coldest rides).
You made me chuckle at myself. I’ve nearly thrown fits trying to get a jacket or windbreaker on while wearing my CamelBak. I was born without that gene. I seem to always snag it on the CamelBak.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-23, 12:06 AM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
52F is short sleeves and no glove weather.
When I lived in northern Utah or Colorado, sure.

When I’ve lived in Texas, Louisiana, or Arizona, not so much. Especially after decades of living southerly, I’m not nearly has hardy to the cold temps as I used to be. It was 40 this morning, then about 50 degrees when I meant to ride later in the morning. Noped out of that and did stuff in the house.

60 degrees and a chill wind when I started later in the day (early afternoon) - jersey and sun sleeves weren’t enough. Stopped and put on the wind jacket. When I hit the top of the short canyon climb, I was warmed up enough to stuff it back in the jersey pocket. I was paused to suck down a gu packet anyway. That was 10 miles into my ride before I was warm enough to drop the shell, though.

Usually, I try to start off chilled, and expect to be warmed by activity in the first two miles or so. If not, I’ll add a layer, like I did today.

Last edited by David_Harris; 11-21-23 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 11-21-23, 08:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
My mom doesn't let me go out on my bike when it is that chilly outside.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-21-23, 08:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

But now that she is dead, I can put my bright yellow Pearl Izumi windbreaker in this:

Currently on sale for Thanksgiving: https://lonepeakpacks.com/product/pf...andlebar-pack/

It is lighter than the more formidable version I have on my touring bike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-21-23, 09:57 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
But now that she is dead, I can put my bright yellow Pearl Izumi windbreaker in this:

Currently on sale for Thanksgiving: https://lonepeakpacks.com/product/pf...andlebar-pack/

It is lighter than the more formidable version I have on my touring bike.
I have a 4 piece set of Lone Peak panniers and they are a great product. I'm also on my second seat bag since the strap finally broke on the first one after many years. Good stuff!
Old 11-21-23, 11:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by big john
I have a 4 piece set of Lone Peak panniers and they are a great product. I'm also on my second seat bag since the strap finally broke on the first one after many years. Good stuff!
I've got a bunch as well. I think my first pair of Panniers are 25 years old or more. I like them better than Ortlieb.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 11-22-23, 10:47 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I make use of bicycling jackets that have a special layer in the front only to block the wind and that have removable sleeves. When it heats up I can partially open the jacket in the front to allow more wind to come through, and I can also remove the sleeves and stuff them inside the pockets of the jacket.

A big advantage of bicycling becoming a mass market is the availability of special jackets such as these from multiple companies.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 11-22-23, 11:23 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, I used to use a similar wind jacket all the time. That got me into trouble on one ride, when I was climbing White Mountain.

The ride started out partly cloudy, with just a few sprinkles. It got progressively wetter and colder as I climbed. The last few miles were cold rain, wind, and lightning, and I was drenched and shivering while climbing as fast as I could, while worried that I was going to get hit by lightning.

I was much too cold to descend, but two guys in an SUV graciously drove me back down.

After that experience, I switched to carrying a more waterproof jacket. It definitely has kept me warmer on chilly descents.

Lick Observatory on showery day in March, Showers Pass Pro Tech jacket
I recall the "good old days" of Le Tour when they'd hand newspapers to riders summiting, to stuff under their jersey/jacket fronts to provide some insulation on the coming descent. But who prints newspapers now?
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 11-22-23, 12:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
I recall the "good old days" of Le Tour when they'd hand newspapers to riders summiting, to stuff under their jersey/jacket fronts to provide some insulation on the coming descent. But who prints newspapers now?
Not many newspapers lying around these days, but there are US mail advertising inserts. There's a post office with P.O. boxes at the top of Mt. Hamilton. People retrieve their mail and toss the advertising inserts in the nearby trash can. I sometimes can find one in the trash for the descent. It takes the chill off.

Old 11-22-23, 12:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Not many newspapers lying around these days, but there are US mail advertising inserts. There's a post office with P.O. boxes at the top of Mt. Hamilton. People retrieve their mail and toss the advertising inserts in the nearby trash can. I sometimes can find one in the trash for the descent. It takes the chill off.
I liked the thin plastic bags that grocery stores used to use, but are more difficult to find these days (at least in CA). Spread one out between base layer and jersey, and you have an excellent wind breaker for your torso. When you're done with it, it's easy to pull out and takes up almost no room in your jersey pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.