Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How wide is too wide for city commuting? H-Bars/Albatross/North Road

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 07:07 PM
CabezaShok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im currently using a 22"/558mm straight-bar that i have no problems fitting in between the many people/cars of Los Angeles....but they are really uncomfortable. i was thinking about going Nitto North Road/Albatross but i already own a brand new Titec H-bar that i think is similar in that it also has many hand positions.

The H-bars are 660mm wide...is that too wide for the city? Anyone try the North Road bars AND a H-bar?
Old 01-26-11, 07:17 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I tend to prefer having my hands at shoulder width, no wider. I know some like wider bars, but I feel awkward with wide bars.
In city traffic, etc, I would think shoulder width would be a good "go by".

If you find that you need really wide bars, you may find some situations to be difficult if you deal with traffic or ride on narrow streets with little clearance. Bar width is one of those things where there is no "one" answer - different folks are comfortable with different setups.

If your commute provides ample space, go with wide bars and see how they suit you!
Old 01-26-11, 10:35 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Titec Hellbent Flat bars has about 9 degrees of backwards sweep. It can be cut down to help get through traffic. You should also check out the 490mm version of the Soma Sparrow bar.
Old 01-27-11, 01:53 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Generally, if your handlebars are getting caught in cars, I'd imagine you're doing something wrong. While it may be you have some really wide handlebars, more likely it means you are wedging yourself in dangerous places where you shouldn't be.

I've never used a bar quite that wide in city traffic (or ever, for that matter, 660mm is pretty huge), but I've used 580mm bars often, and had no trouble. I actually feel that a wider bar helps with narrow spaces; I feel more in control of the bike and so I can manoeuvre tight spaces better.
Old 01-27-11, 02:57 AM
Boye

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on a 51cm bar with barends but I am not very wide across my shoulders. So I'm with canyoneagle, prefer my hands at the width of my shoulders.
Old 01-27-11, 05:09 AM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Somewhere around this wide

I personally use about a 600 mm bar. It works quite well for my personal needs, but it depends on how narrow a spot you're willing to squeeze into in order to satiate your need to filter.

Second the notion for a bar like the Soma Sparrow if you're concerned. High sweep is good ergonomically but while the H-bar is nice, but it's definitely a wide bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
more antlers.jpg (101.2 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by Abneycat; 01-27-11 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 05:21 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used my On One Mary bars for a few weeks to guague the ideal grip position then cut them down by 1cm each side. Just let your hands fall where they want to.
When you are riding around with exposed bar ends and the grips a bit inboard, plug the holes with corks for safety, you dont want to land on the exposed ends
Old 01-27-11, 01:31 PM
CabezaShok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im NOT using the H-Bar. My shoulders just arent wide enough, thanks for the advice!!! I just ordered Kalloy Tourist AL081 for $28 shipped, its 56cm at the ends and have 50mm of rise. To me the Kalloy Tourist looks similar to the Soma Sparrow/Nitto Albatross and handles should fit the 1980's Shimano shifters/brake levers that came stock on my old rockhopper commuter. i can take pics and post em' if anyone is curious.
Old 01-27-11, 05:10 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sporting the albatross bars on my cross check these days (55cm wide). Over the years on this bike I've had drops for summer, flats for winter, and bullhorns too. Then I got the albatross....Wow, I can't fully describe how much I love them. I never have trouble with the width in the city. I do believe that a lot (not all of it) is about how you ride and what sort of situations you choose to put yourself in. I'm not afraid to take the lane or wait my turn, grab a car, whatever. I've pretty much adopted the "I am a legal vehicle and I'll abide by all the rules of the road approach". So I think bar width (within reason) is a non issue.

The Albatross bars aren't racy or super hip looking but they are so comfy that I don't f'n care. I have other bikes for those purposes and I don't ride them nearly as much as this one. I suggest getting the real Nitto ones from Rivendell, there are others models that are similar (like north roads) but they are not the same.
Old 01-28-11, 02:52 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have 55 or 56 cm Albatross bars on my Trucker. I don't notice a problem, but then I don't try to squeeze into tight spaces, either (there are other wide parts of me as well, and I always remember what happened to Pooh when he tried to leave Rabbit's house), so your mileage may vary.
Old 01-28-11, 03:08 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
I tend to prefer having my hands at shoulder width, no wider. I know some like wider bars, but I feel awkward with wide bars.
In city traffic, etc, I would think shoulder width would be a good "go by".
yep. shoulder width is the way to go for me (or rather the distance from shoulder center to shoulder center). my road bike has 420mm drops bars and my hybrid has 420mm bullhorns. that arrangement seems to work best for me.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 01-28-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 03:10 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I had a 58cm flat bar which felt way too wide. I cut it down to 50cm which leaves just enough room for my headlight and bike computer. If I had the space to cut it down to 46 or 48cm, I would, but 50 is already pretty good. Certainly makes it a lot easier riding into the wind.