Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GAP and C & O Trails Weather

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 07:49 AM
Maro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Almost everything is ready for early next week departure.
Plan to start in McKeesport, leave the car there, ride to Washington DC and back. Up to 12 days.
What weather shall I expect? Like min/max temps.
Will it rain for days (like here, home sometimes?). Any snow? etc.
I can not make up my mind what clothes to take.
Thks.
Old 09-25-08, 09:42 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Min temps will be low 40s/high 30s, but with near 100% humidity. It sounds at night like it's raining but it's the condensation falling off the leaves. There is supposed to be a lot of rain in the next 2 days so the trail will probably be in rough shape going down river from Cumberland. Stop in Paw Paw WVA and go to Antonis Pizza, great stuff.
Old 09-25-08, 09:44 AM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
C&O Bicycles in Hancock has showers/bunks. I suggest camping at White Rock 126.4 and Huckleberry Hill at 62ish. Both will leave you 2 miles outside of major towns, Hancock and Harpers Ferry.
Old 09-25-08, 09:53 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lotsa stuff in my journal of this ride.

Queen City Creamery in Cumberland, MD has awesome milkshakes. Hutch at the Cumberland Trail Connection is a bit of a touring legend, stop by if you need any maintenance, or if you don't.

Make sure to check out Fallingwater if you have the time. Try and get a ride from the trail, though; the local roads are very steep and packed with 18 wheelers.

Bring lights for Paw-Paw tunnel.

My bands:
Old 09-26-08, 08:59 AM
JustBrowsing
Señor Miembro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished my first ride of the C&O a few days ago. Daytime temps should be in the low-mid 70s, with nighttime temps getting into the 50s (and maybe 40s). Generally it was pretty pleasant. And like anomoly said, it'll sound like it's raining, but it's just the condensation dripping down the trees. And if you're near the train tracks, they seem to go by quite a bit at night, and they're LOUD! I seriously doubt you'll see any snow at this time of the year. However, with the rains we've been getting the past day or two, some parts of the trail will probably be pretty nasty. Keep an eye out for mudpits and tree roots. Enjoy!
Old 09-27-08, 07:48 AM
Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody.
It looks the summer sleeping bag has to be replaced.