Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bike shortages are about to get very real

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bike shortages are about to get very real

Old 05-28-20, 11:18 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

And if you really cared about creating jobs in the US, you would buy Zipp wheels (which are made in Indiana) instead of Light bicycle rims (which are made in China.) But you told us that you wouldn't do that.
I don't support zipp because I don't see the Value. They sponsor riders to push their wheel sales.

If I was only paying for Labor/material... I could get into it. But I am not going to pay triple the value of a wheelset just so some joe smoe can get free wheels.

Same story with bicycle shops, if they want to sponsor a racing team, they don't need my business. On the other hand if a shop wants to support dog shelters etc, and have a tip jar for it. I'll gladly give them my business.
Old 05-28-20, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Let me know when I can buy something better than a Detroit made bicycle frame that's made in the USA.

In the meantime there is a MULTITUDE of USA made (non bicycle) products that are far better than Imported goods. Which if brought up would get reported as offtopic.

Bicycles are only a very small percentage of the entire picture. To Use the Bicycle market as an argument to cover the entire Topic is insanity. Thus the topic can't truly be discussed and remain in a bicycle forum.
Well, you haven't really addressed the point I was making: you seem to support the tariffs, and claim to care about creating jobs in the USA, but you repeatedly acknowledge that the tariffs are not changing your practices (nor other people's practices) of buying foreign-made bikes. (And at least you're consistent: in post #9 you mention some bikes you own, or are considering, and they are all foreign-made.) So, what is the point of the tariffs, other than to tax US consumers?

By the way, my last bike purchase was of a custom built frame from Wisconsin which was made of steel from an Ohio mill...And it was built with a Zipp cockpit from Indiana and some other MUSA parts. Some of us are actually willing to stand behind our convictions.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-28-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 11:27 AM
Metieval

And if you really cared about creating jobs in the US, you would buy Zipp wheels (which are made in Indiana) instead of Light bicycle rims (which are made in China.) But you told us that you wouldn't do that.
BTW Lightbicycle is supporting one family. which I would gladly do, VS buying a product made in a China located sweat shop and then marked up by bicycle name brands.

Lightbicycle is also one of the few manufacture/builders of Carbon wheels who have genuine ethics and warranty in my opinion.

Zipp is what 0.000001 % part of the American economy?
Old 05-28-20, 11:29 AM
Metieval

Well, you haven't really addressed the point I was making: you seem to support the tariffs, and claim to care about creating jobs in the USA, but you repeatedly acknowledge that the tariffs are not changing your practices (nor other people's practices) of buying foreign-made bikes. (And at least you're consistent: in post #9 you mention some bikes you own, or are considering, and they are all foreign-made.) So, what is the point of the tariffs, other than to tax US consumers?
Again Bicycles are a very small percentage of the entire economy. You shouldn't use less than 1% of the entire market to argue the entire economy argument, yet here you are...... trying to do exactly that.
Old 05-28-20, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Again Bicycles are a very small percentage of the entire economy. You shouldn't use less than 1% of the entire market to argue the entire economy argument, yet here you are...... trying to do exactly that.
The points I have made about the tariffs - they are paid almost fully by US consumers, they are reducing US employment rather than increasing it, they are not causing manufacturers to relocate to the US - are true across the economy. The bicycle market is merely a good example and germane to this forum.

And your repeated posts explaining why tariffs haven't changed your bike purchase decisions are a good example of why the tariffs are simply not achieving their claimed purpose. It's a very obvious point, which you have emphasized, but you seem to not understand the implications.

The tariffs - on bikes and bike parts and on the many other commodities to which they have been applied - simply do not create jobs in the US...In fact, they are reducing employment. The tariffs are merely a tax on us - consumers in the US.
Old 06-08-20, 08:27 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
As I understand it, hybrids are basically all gone in many markets and used bike prices are starting to rise a bit. Walmart is out of bikes in most areas as well. Lower-priced gravel bikes are running out of sizes, but higher-priced ones are still somewhat available in many markets.
Likes For dwmckee: