Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Estate Sale “Box Of Bike Stuff”

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Estate Sale “Box Of Bike Stuff”

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 01:36 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Well, I couldn’t help myself, had to go back on half-off Sunday. At least I only spent $15 today. I’m excited about the Sedisport ATB chain; I used to buy those for my first mountain bike. I also had those lowfat pedals at some point. It’s like a time capsule of all the stuff I chewed through as a teenager.

Old 08-23-20, 01:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Threadjack!

Gorramit! You had to post this. I ran to CL and discovered two garage sales with bike stuff, including this odd Fuji. What the what??

It's Sunday and I'm certain all the good stuff is gone.

Old 08-23-20, 02:27 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by Korina
Gorramit! You had to post this. I ran to CL and discovered two garage sales with bike stuff, including this odd Fuji. What the what??

It's Sunday and I'm certain all the good stuff is gone.

Way to go!

From one banana slug to another, I’ll tell ya, most of what you find is not worth buying. I’ve been having great luck lately at estate sales in wealthy neighborhoods. The wealthy folks bought nice stuff and didn’t use it, and the estate sale company doesn’t know what it is because it doesn’t fall into the “collectibles“ category. Most of the time, though, it’s depressing, worn out junk. But there’s nothing more fun than dumping out a ziploc bag of bike tools and seeing what you got for $3!
Likes For JacobLee:
Old 08-23-20, 03:16 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by JacobLee
Way to go!

From one banana slug to another, I’ll tell ya, most of what you find is not worth buying. I’ve been having great luck lately at estate sales in wealthy neighborhoods. The wealthy folks bought nice stuff and didn’t use it, and the estate sale company doesn’t know what it is because it doesn’t fall into the “collectibles“ category. Most of the time, though, it’s depressing, worn out junk. But there’s nothing more fun than dumping out a ziploc bag of bike tools and seeing what you got for $3!
...or $15.00...
Old 08-23-20, 04:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Way to go!

Thanks, but you misunderstand; I missed this. Now I'm just curious about the Fuji.
Old 08-23-20, 04:52 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by Korina
Thanks, but you misunderstand; I missed this. Now I'm just curious about the Fuji.
It’s probably best that you missed it! What is that, a folding bike? I’m staring at it, but can’t figure out how it would work.
Old 08-23-20, 04:54 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Old 08-23-20, 05:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Ooooooooh! Dude, I could've used that!! Damn!
Old 08-23-20, 07:53 PM
spank226

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
Still, nobody seems to know what the 32/24 combo wrenches are for.
Those are indeed headset wrenches for 1" headset setups and they also hold freewheel and bottom bracket install/removal splined "sockets", like for the sealed cartridge bottom brackets when they came out. I'd place them at late 1980s at the earliest to early 1990s. I have the same wrenches, but some of them are missing the plastic edge covers so they dig into my fingers when I need to apply a lot of torque.

I would love that cinelli stem, even though it's missing the binder bolt. If you find yourself heading back out to that spot, please consider allowing me to paypal you some $ to pick it up and ship it to me in SoCal.
Old 08-23-20, 08:42 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Park Cone Wrench Knockoffs

JacobLee spank226 madpogue

I have a bunch of Park cone wrenches that I bought way back when they first came out. The green handled ones look like knockoffs:

Why?

1. Besides the green plastic dip coating, they have 2 holes for hanging them...

2. The "mm" characters are spaced away from the stamped numbers and are not as clear as the ones used on real Park tools . Many Park tools were and probably still are made for them by Snap-On Tools.

3. The bottom of the wrench openings are squared off rather than rounded as on real Park cone wrenches.

Early Park cone wrenches

Later version with the Park name on the handle.

Schwinn branded Park cone wrench

About 20 years ago I visited the Snap-On plant in San Diego, CA on business. That's where they made special tools like these cone wrenches.

Notice the cleanly stamped characters in these Snap-On wrenches. That's something that was rarely seen in other brands of hand tools BITD.

Park discontinued the thin chrome plated cone wrenches pictured above. The new ones are black oxide coated rather than chrome plated steel. They,re more robust but I prefer the older thin ones for 13mm and 14mm nuts.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-23-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 08:53 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by spank226
Those are indeed headset wrenches for 1" headset setups and they also hold freewheel and bottom bracket install/removal splined "sockets", like for the sealed cartridge bottom brackets when they came out. I'd place them at late 1980s at the earliest to early 1990s. I have the same wrenches, but some of them are missing the plastic edge covers so they dig into my fingers when I need to apply a lot of torque.

I would love that cinelli stem, even though it's missing the binder bolt. If you find yourself heading back out to that spot, please consider allowing me to paypal you some $ to pick it up and ship it to me in SoCal.
Stem was gone. Sorry!
Old 08-23-20, 08:55 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by verktyg
JacobLee spank226 madpogue

I have a bunch of Park cone wrenches that I bought way back when they first came out. The green handled ones look like knockoffs:

Why?

1. Besides the green plastic dip coating, they have 2 holes for hanging them...

2. The stamped numbers are not as clear as the ones used on real Park tools. Many Park tools were and probably still are made for them by Snap-On Tools.

Early Park cone wrenches

Later version with the Park name on the handle.

Schwinn branded Park cone wrench

About 20 years ago I visited the Snap-On plant in San Diego, CA on business. That's where they made special tools like these cone wrenches.

Notice the cleanly stamped characters in these Snap-On wrenches. That's something that was rarely seen in other brands of hand tools BITD.

verktyg
Mystery unsolved! I wonder if they knocked-off those green handled wrenches In the USA, or elsewhere?
Old 08-23-20, 09:15 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Made in USA

Mystery unsolved! I wonder if they knocked-off those green handled wrenches In the USA, or elsewhere?
Back in the early 50's, some Japanese renamed a small village outside of Tokyo "Usa".

A lot of cheap junk stuff came into the US marked "MADE IN USA"....

That was well before the Japanese adopted quality standards in the late 60's and early 70's.

Certain countries still flagrantly stamp "MADE IN...." on products they export. Switzerland on the other hand stamps "MADE IN SWITZERLAND" on any/many products that go through their customs and get exported.

20-35 years ago I was involved in the manufacture of medical bone implants for a Swiss company. They were made completely here in NorCal. The parts were sent to Switzerland where they were inspected, laser etched with "Made In Switzerland" and sold all over the world.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-23-20 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 09:24 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Back in the early 50's, some Japanese renamed a small village outside of Tokyo "Usa".

A lot of cheap junk stuff came into the US marked "MADE IN USA"....

That was well before the Japanese adopted quality standards in the late 60's and early 70's.

Certain countries still flagrantly stamp "MADE IN...." on products they export. Switzerland on the other had stamps "MADE IN SWITZERLAND" on any/many products that go through their customs and get exported.

20-35 years ago I was involved in the manufacture of medical implants for a Swiss company. They were made completely here in NorCal. The parts were sent to Switzerland where they were inspected, laser etched "Made In Switzerland" and sold all over the world.

verktyg
Crazy! Fascinating.

My initial thought about those wrenches was, “Who stamps USA on a product, but leaves off the brand name?”

Now I’m thinking, “Who counterfeits cone wrenches?” Sheesh, I can’t think of a less lucrative scheme.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-23-20, 11:04 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Unbranded Park Cone Wrenches

Crazy! Fascinating.

My initial thought about those wrenches was, “Who stamps USA on a product, but leaves off the brand name?”

Now I’m thinking, “Who counterfeits cone wrenches?” Sheesh, I can’t think of a less lucrative scheme.

Thanks for the info!
The original Park single ended cone wrenches with the blue handles were "unbranded".... ???

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 08-24-20, 12:50 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
The internet tells me that's not true, and if it's on the internet, it must be true...I mean false, I mean...oh you know what I mean: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/
Old 08-24-20, 05:12 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Snopes and other online sources of knowledge

Originally Posted by P!N20
The internet tells me that's not true, and if it's on the internet, it must be true...I mean false, I mean...oh you know what I mean: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/
Read my tag line: Things aren't always what they seem... Don't believe everything you think!

I was there...
That is, in the early 1950's there were multitudes of cheap Japanese stamped one sided "tin" toys made from recycled US beer cans. They were mostly cars, planes and military items with the graphics lithoed on them. On the back side you could still read the can labels. I remember seeing some toys with MADE IN USA in tiny letters. There were also things like cheap pocket knives and other novelty items.

I clearly remember reading articles (I was about 7 or 8 years old but I could read and comprehend) about the town in Japan named Usa. The value of those cheap imports was so low and the quantities so limited that I doubt the US Customs was very concerned about the misuse of the MADE IN USA labels.

I was there... in Japan in 1964-65. Portrait of the artist as a young man...

Cameras and consumer electronics were just beginning to receive international recognition for their quality. That was what helped foster the Japanese reputation for quality products.

Getting back to the internet and Snopes, they seem to do a good job of research but, WHERE THEY THERE????

I retired last year after 40 years working in all types of manufacturing. Some of my cohorts coined the phrase "25 year olds with laptops" to which I added: Whose life experiences consisted of ~20 years of playing 1st person shooter games and 15 years of social media!!!

A frequent comment heard from some of those folks: "How do you know that, how do you know that?" "I couldn't find it on the internet???" (therefore it can't exist)....

Well my friend, there's no substitute for 40 years of hands on experience!

Several friends of my had fun with a young engineer at Apple who asked in disbelief "How do you know that", but that's a different story....

verktyg retro grouch

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 08-24-20 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 06:14 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
I clearly remember reading articles (I was about 7 or 8 years old but I could read and comprehend) about the town in Japan named Usa.

I was there... in Japan in 1964-65. Portrait of the artist as a young man...

Well I'm certainly not doubting your first hand knowledge on the subject, and seeing as I wasn't alive until '77 and don't live in the USA I guess I'm zero from two, so the internet is really my only resource.

How old are you in that photo there? 4 or 5 years old? Because Usa, Japan was founded in 1967 and you said you were reading about it when you were 7 or 8 years old. Impressive.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-24-20, 09:11 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Well I'm certainly not doubting your first hand knowledge on the subject, and seeing as I wasn't alive until '77 and don't live in the USA I guess I'm zero from two, so the internet is really my only resource.

How old are you in that photo there? 4 or 5 years old? Because Usa, Japan was founded in 1967 and you said you were reading about it when you were 7 or 8 years old. Impressive.
Snark is best kept to one's self
Old 08-24-20, 10:17 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts

Did you post this in the "artsy photo" thread? You should, if not. It's like the foreground is the "present", in sharp focus, fading to a "past" background, with appropriate bokeh.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-28-20, 06:20 AM
MMonde

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I would love that Ritchey seat Post for my 87Ascent Comp
Old 08-28-20, 01:51 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Originally Posted by MMonde
I would love that Ritchey seat Post for my 87Ascent Comp
That’s a great bike.

I’ve got a bunch of bikes that take 27.2’s, so I’m going to keep it around. Thanks for asking!
Old 08-28-20, 02:59 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

From what I'm reading is that the town wasn't renamed Usa for that purpose...

A rumour spread that products made in a town named "Usa, Ōita" located in Ōita Prefecture, Japan and exported to the US in the 1960s carried the label MADE IN USA, JAPAN, to create the appearance that the product was made in the US. It is, however, a myth that Japan renamed the town "Usa" following World War II so that goods exported from Japan could be labeled as such. The town has existed from the 8th century (see Usa Jingū), predating the existence of the "United States of America" (first used in the 1776 United States Declaration of Independence) by more than a millennium, and is not a major manufacturing center; furthermore, the United States Customs Service would probably have recognized such labeling, had it occurred, as fraudulent and thus would have prohibited goods so labeled from being imported into the United States.[4]