Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hesitant to ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 05:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I was in the military, my parachute did not full open one time. They sent me right back up for another jump. They said the longer the wait before facing the fear the greater the fear would be.

Glad you're okay but go out for a ride somewhere.

Cheers
Old 09-01-20, 06:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Too perfect lol.
You suspect a two-way stop sign situation?
Even though the OP clearly stated “Neither of us had a stop sign and he hit me”
Just admit to yourself that you again posted something really stupid and move on.
OP just confirmed he and the car were on the "main drag." Are you seriously unaware that generally the stop signs face the side streets and not the main drag? No idea why you're so desperate to convince people that the op did something wrong that you'd double down on the stupidity, but all you're proving is you don't know what an uncontrolled intersection actually is.
Old 09-01-20, 06:39 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Get back on the bike !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-02-20, 01:36 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Fortunately, you’re ok. Cycling is an added risk everyone here accepts. For me, the positives far out weigh the negatives. Be careful out there while running, and soon you’ll be back on your bike- enjoy.
Old 09-02-20, 04:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Chris!
I was riding last week and a car did not signal, turned left. Neither of us had a stop sign and he hit me. I was fine and so was my bike I did more damage to his bumper than anything. But everythime I think about going for a ride since then I skip it. Think ill go for a run today.... Sucks that the hobby I love can be so dangerous. Just happy I'm not hurt.
The way I'm reading this is as a memo you sent yourself that you need to get your mojo back. Everyone is different, but I've been hit a couple times, and was surprised that I felt pretty good riding within days or weeks of the incident.

I will say that I do avoid riding one of the places I got hit at rush hour, but will ride there with normal traffic.

I think you'll be fine and am happy to hear you were largely unhurt.

Sorry I got sidetracked by a troll in this thread, but I wasn't going to let that completely unjustified insinuation you did something wrong go unanswered.
Old 09-02-20, 05:30 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sorry I got sidetracked by a troll in this thread, but I wasn't going to let that completely unjustified insinuation you did something wrong go unanswered.
Old 09-02-20, 05:32 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Two pieces of advice.

1) try to make eye contact. Even if you do, that is no guarantee they will not turn in front of you.
2) You didn't mention if you have front and rear lights. Some of these front lights are very bright and will help with visibility. I say this based on your comment " He jumped out ran over to me and was just in total shock." So he didn't see you. There are many other posts that are safety related like "wear bright clothes". Maybe that will help.
Old 09-02-20, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Univega
Two pieces of advice.

1) try to make eye contact. Even if you do, that is no guarantee they will not turn in front of you.
2) You didn't mention if you have front and rear lights. Some of these front lights are very bright and will help with visibility. I say this based on your comment " He jumped out ran over to me and was just in total shock." So he didn't see you. There are many other posts that are safety related like "wear bright clothes". Maybe that will help.
Just speaking for myself, but trying to make eye contact might distract me from looking for other threats to my safety, e.g., cars running stop signs from side roads.

Can't argue with making yourself visible, only caveat is don't aim bright lights directly at oncoming drivers, day or night.
Old 09-02-20, 09:25 AM
Univega

Just speaking for myself, but trying to make eye contact might distract me from looking for other threats to my safety, e.g., cars running stop signs from side roads.

Can't argue with making yourself visible, only caveat is don't aim bright lights directly at oncoming drivers, day or night.
"trying to make eye contact might distract me from looking for other threats to my safety" You ride MUCH faster than me. I'm so slow, the hazard is lessened for me.

"Don't aim bright lights directly at oncoming drivers, day or night" Makes sense.
Likes For Univega:
Old 09-02-20, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Univega
"trying to make eye contact might distract me from looking for other threats to my safety" You ride MUCH faster than me. I'm so slow, the hazard is lessened for me.

"Don't aim bright lights directly at oncoming drivers, day or night" Makes sense.

Thanks! That makes sense. Different speeds require different scanning patterns. When I say something like "speaking for myself", my thinking for saying it at all is because it's something that another person can check out for themselves and see if it applies to them.

This isn't aimed at you, but my big beef with a lot of the BF posters is they're so enthusiastic about telling other people they're doing it wrong that they make up facts and rules, and a person posting about their issues and observations generally has to defend themselves from a bunch of insulting stupid accusations. I think what we did here where both of us use a different approach is an actual dialogue--neither of us is trying to prove the other wrong, just explaining how we approach the same problem and why.
Old 09-03-20, 05:30 AM
Univega

Thanks! That makes sense. Different speeds require different scanning patterns. When I say something like "speaking for myself", my thinking for saying it at all is because it's something that another person can check out for themselves and see if it applies to them.

This isn't aimed at you, but my big beef with a lot of the BF posters is they're so enthusiastic about telling other people they're doing it wrong that they make up facts and rules, and a person posting about their issues and observations generally has to defend themselves from a bunch of insulting stupid accusations. I think what we did here where both of us use a different approach is an actual dialogue--neither of us is trying to prove the other wrong, just explaining how we approach the same problem and why.
Thank you. That was well worded. After all the OP has a (in my mind) a valid concern. I worry about cars all the time. Drivers do such stupid things. We have all had
  • the car that speeds up and makes a right turn in front of you, just missing you.
  • the car that sees you and still makes the left in front of you. They wouldn't do that to another car that may broadside them.
  • The worse is the driver who is behind you. I am not sure of the reason, but they get so close you feel them brush your left arm with the vehicle. A garbage truck did that to me.
Helping each other is what it is all about. The original poster was hit by a car. Hopefully there are some ideas here to help him. My only other advice is to assume the driver is a idiot and will not signal, and turned left in front of you. Slow down..as much as we all hate to do that.
Old 09-03-20, 12:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You are trying to read between the lines and I love that you are comparing a likely uncontrolled intersection to a driveway lol
Every driveway is an intersection, and is a possible place for a car to turn into/out of.